Re: Opeth

Post by hellboy »

That was pretty bland
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

hellboy wrote:That was pretty bland
Agreed. Opeth have shown they can do slower songs very well in the past. Damnation is a masterpiece. This song, while well constructed, is as you said, quite bland. Some of the guitar work towards the end was interesting but overall the song really doesn't go anywhere.

I had high hopes for Sorceress, particularly after hearing the first new song which was solid. But this song sounds nothing at all like Sorceress. It sounds like it belongs on a completely different album. Akerfeldt's prog experimentation worked well with Pale Communion because the entire album had a particular sound that gave it an identity.

Still obviously it is too early to deliver any verdict. Maybe this track serves as a connection piece that when listened to in it's entirety will fit or tie in other musical concepts. For the moment I will stay cautiously optimistic.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Further Aussie tour dates to go with the special Sydney Opera House one. Depending on how Sorceress turns out I might get along to this:
Opeth ‘Sorceress’ 2017 Australian Tour

General tickets for all new shows go on sale Thursday, 15th September.

Saturday, 4th February – NEW SHOW
Tivoli Theatre, Brisbane
Tickets: Metropolis Touring

Monday, 6th February 2017 – SOLD OUT
Sydney Opera House, Sydney
Tickets: Sydney Opera House

Tuesday, 7th February – NEW SHOW
170 Russell, Melbourne

Friday, 10th February – NEW SHOW
Thebarton Theatre, Adelaide

Saturday, 11th February – NEW SHOW
Metro City, Perth
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

Mikael said back in November he had about 90 minutes of music, so it looks like there will probably be a new album this year.

And they put out a new live album last year
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Opeth is so good live. And I’m no fan of the Cookie Monster vocals.

Looking forward to new material.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

Kittaan wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:42 pm Opeth is so good live. And I’m no fan of the Cookie Monster vocals.

Looking forward to new material.
Indeed. Saw them back in 2012, they're ridiculously tight.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Would be nice to see them return to something a bit heavier. Don't get me wrong Heritage, Pale Communion and Sorceress are all great albums. Sorceress in particular was absolutely fantastic. I get that Mikael grew tired of metal but after three prog albums a return to heavier sound would be welcome. They will never revisit their Blackwater Park sound but maybe something more akin to Watershed. Regardless I am sure whatever they come up with will be great.
The most intelligent person on this forum
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Why are they all wearing leather jackets?

That was a great video btw. I like cookie monster vocals, but much prefer the current cleaner style of Opeth.
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

M0G wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:48 pm Would be nice to see them return to something a bit heavier. Don't get me wrong Heritage, Pale Communion and Sorceress are all great albums. Sorceress in particular was absolutely fantastic. I get that Mikael grew tired of metal but after three prog albums a return to heavier sound would be welcome. They will never revisit their Blackwater Park sound but maybe something more akin to Watershed. Regardless I am sure whatever they come up with will be great.
I don't know about heavier, but Fredrick said last July:
""Compared to the last three albums, I would say, if I can reveal anything, this album is more complex, more energetic, and I think it's gonna be something.""
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/opeth- ... new-album/

Mikael's been deliberately sitting on the new material since then, basically wants to make sure he's totally happy with it before releasing it. He said:
I'm going to take it easy. I'm going to be very methodical and listen to a lot of stuff I've done and just make sure there's no gaps of any kind on the next album. That feels important to me."
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mikael ... eth-album/

I've just found this little tidbit that I'd completely missed from December, sounds like they'll be in studio sooner rather than later:
“The songs are virtually done; we’ve picked a studio and who will engineer it,” teases Åkerfeldt. “The other people surrounding the recording haven’t been settled yet, but everything else is ready to go. As it looks, we are even going to rehearse a bit. We’re starting… very soon!”
https://www.musicradar.com/news/opeths- ... ew-my-mind

hellboy wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:28 pm Why are they all wearing leather jackets?

That was a great video btw. I like cookie monster vocals, but much prefer the current cleaner style of Opeth.
That show was at Red Rocks in Colorado, open air, apparently it got very chilly once the sun went down. That's the tour they did with Gojira & Devin Townsend, with Devy opening & Opeth & Gojira alternating as the headline.
The whole gig is worth checking out, "Garden of the Titans".
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

New album In Cauda Venenum due out this Autumn (probably September or October, since their tour kicks off in early November), will be available in both English & Swedish.

--Tracklist--
1. Livet’s Trädgård / Garden Of Earthly Delights (Intro)
2. Svekets Prins / Dignity
3. Hjärtat Vet Vad Handen Gör / Heart In Hand
4. De Närmast Sörjande / Next Of Kin
5. Minnets Yta / Lovelorn Crime
6. Charlatan
7. Ingen Sanning Är Allas / Universal Truth
8. Banemannen / The Garroter
9. Kontinuerlig Drift / Continuum
10. Allting Tar Slut / All Things Will Pass
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

They posted a 30 second tease of the song Heart in Hand in a tour announcement video

Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

The new album will be out on September 27th.

Back to back Swedish & English versions of Heart in Hand
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Digging that, thanks. Can't wait to see them live again.
Ki77aan :twisted:
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Moridin wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:25 pm The new album will be out on September 27th.

Back to back Swedish & English versions of Heart in Hand
Opeth what a band 12 albums since 94 and every one of them are excellent. Puts Tool to shame
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

Mike says they recorded 13 songs, 10 are on the album.

Raffa D
of Arimathea

Post by Raffa D »

If you like Opeth sure. Prince was more productive than Opeth. But I don't care, because it isn't Tool. I'll just wait patiently for a brilliant album than every other year a rushed album.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Raffa D wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:41 am If you like Opeth sure. Prince was more productive than Opeth. But I don't care, because it isn't Tool. I'll just wait patiently for a brilliant album than every other year a rushed album.
You don't care because it isn't Tool? So Tool is the only band you listen to? :lol:

As for Opeth name me one album they have released that sounded rushed? Good luck with that. Every album they have released has been polished and extremely high quality. The difference between Opeth and Tool is Mikael has a solid work ethic. When he says he is writing an album he gets it done and there are never any significant delays. He communicates effectively and appreciates the fan base.

Opeth for the win
Raffa D
of Arimathea

Post by Raffa D »

I listen to a lot of music, all genres, from 60's till now. Not gonna argue about Opeth. I know to little about them. I'm just defending Tool doing his thing calm and slow.
Sometimes I wish for more, but I take it as it comes.
And I can't compare any band with Tool. In my opinion they stand alone with their music. Sure you can compare their behaviour if you will.

Please let me know which album or songs from Opeth are you favourite.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Raffa D wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:16 pm I listen to a lot of music, all genres, from 60's till now. Not gonna argue about Opeth. I know to little about them. I'm just defending Tool doing his thing calm and slow.
Sometimes I wish for more, but I take it as it comes.
And I can't compare any band with Tool. In my opinion they stand alone with their music. Sure you can compare their behaviour if you will.

Please let me know which album or songs from Opeth are you favourite.
Favorite that is so fucking difficult so many good ones.. Blackwater Park, Damnation, Sorceress, Ghost Reveries and Watershed probably top 5 in no particular order. If we are talking their older stuff Morningrise is probably my favorite. Actually Still life but that came out closer to Blackwater Park so not really sure you can classify that album with their older stuff

As for Tool standing alone I do not agree. There are bands at their level in rock, but Tool are certainly amongst the very best. They have a piss poor work ethic and a pathetic output for a band that has been around for almost 30 years but there is no denying Lateralus and Aenima will make any top 10 rock albums list.
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

Don't know if this is legit, but the track lengths are listed on Wikipedia:

1. "Garden of Earthly Delights (Intro)" 3:29
2. "Dignity" 6:35
3. "Heart in Hand" 8:30
4. "Next of Kin" 7:08
5. "Lovelorn Crime" 6:34
6. "Charlatan" 5:29
7. "Universal Truth" 7:21
8. "The Garroter" 6:44
9. "Continuum" 7:23
10. "All Things Will Pass" 8:31

Total length: 67:44
M0G wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:51 pm Every album they have released has been polished and extremely high quality. The difference between Opeth and Tool is Mikael has a solid work ethic. When he says he is writing an album he gets it done and there are never any significant delays. He communicates effectively and appreciates the fan base.

Opeth for the win
I think the biggest difference there is the fact that since My Arms, Your Hearse Mike writes almost everything himself, makes all the final decisions himself (and is the only original member left).Whereas with Tool all 4 have a controlling stake, and from what I've seen of other bands over the years that's a pretty rare situation.
Raffa D wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:16 pm Please let me know which album or songs from Opeth are you favourite.
My top 5 albums are similar to Mogs.

-Watershed
-Still Life / Blackwater Park
-Ghost Reveries / Sorceress

For individual songs, depends on if you like death growls or not (though I didn't before Opeth, so they made me like them), but check out these:
Ghost of Perdition
Blackwater Park
Sorceress
Eternal Rains Will Come
Death Whispered a Lullaby
Benighted
The Lotus Eater
Last edited by Moridin on Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Still Life is a great album was hard to keep off my list but something about Damnation just does it for me. Mikael pulled off making a non-metal album somehow feel completely fucking metal. Such a remarkable album.

Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

^
That was absolutely terrible. Sounded like Porcupine Tree. Yuk.

Do they write their lyrics by candlelight? With a quill? Wearing frilly shirts??

Nerd metal. The kind of metal a Star Trek dork would listen to. And then brag about it.

:|
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

Swedish version has a music video:
Moridin
Has been