Opeth

Music in all its forms and styles
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Re: Opeth

Post by The Boss »

Ettan wrote:will see them live in november, can't fucking wait!
I am so happy for you, man. Enjoy!
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:
Calfium Jay wrote:Glad they ditched the "death metal" tomfoolery. It never suited them.
:lol:

oh my
I've been avoiding this thread for this exact reason.

Holy shit.

I will always love the concept of OPETH, but man have they not done anything even close to as good as "BLACKWATER PARK" and literally everything before that album.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Kittaan wrote:Just listened to Pale Communion again tonight, after a couple of weeks away from it. It's even stronger than I remembered. I also think it may be my favorite Opeth album overall.

To the peeps that don't dig it: Nobody is telling you to like something you don't. However, why should you give a fuck what came before with a band, make THAT the decision point for whether or not you like that band's current album? That is pretty dense IMO. To me, makes more sense to judge it on its own merits, as if you were hearing that band for the first time.

Regarding "if I wanted to listen to King Crimson, I would listen to King Crimson." That is also a weak argument against wanting to listen to an album... "they remind me of this other amazing band that put out a shit ton of great music while this band was growing up... so I won't listen to it". WTF?

Not to single you out, RP. But you are one of the many idiots pissing me off right now so you're getting a piece of my tiny mind. Deal with it.
I dig your aggression right now, and am OK with it - because I know you. You're a beautiful human being. So go nuts.

That said, (and I can't speak for Piggy) but I do believe he was comparing to everything that OPETH has done. OPETH are still amazing, but they're going down a quite derivative path. His comment with regard to the CRIM was fitting, as OPETH are almost becoming a caricature of themselves.

I'll always have "STILL LIFE" (which I will literally listen to on the way to the pub right now), so I couldn't care less about these discussions anymore.

And I hope you're well, man. Don't dwell in making bitter and negative posts like I make here - it's not your style.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Crow - Yes, all is well. As I mentioned in a later post, that post you quoted was mostly tongue in cheek. I'm never going to get too worked up about anybody's difference of opinion related to music... I find it fascinating how we all perceive things differently and I love the awesome Venn diagrams of where we (collectively) sometimes intersect. One shining example is the vastly wide spectrum of genres we enjoy individually, but we all originally showed up for Tool.

I have sampled many many bands here, and definitely from TA, over the years, on recommendation from many regulars... been pleasantly surprised at times, but have also reaffirmed my distaste for certain genres. It is what it is, and I embrace it.

PS - If we all liked the same bands and disliked the same bands, think of what a bitch it would be getting tickets to shows!

Hope you're having/had a great time at the pub. Cheers and beers.
Ki77aan :twisted:
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Rock on, brother.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Not Tyson wrote:
:lol:

oh my

I was going to post something rather acidic in response to this uncalled for belittlement.

Then I remembered that you like Rush.

So...

Once again, goodnight and good luck with everything.

Sincerely.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Pale Communion just gets better and better every time I listen to it. Seriously doubt Tool can top this. Feel free to prove me wrong though!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Ettan wrote:Pale Communion just gets better and better every time I listen to it. Seriously doubt Tool can top this. Feel free to prove me wrong though!
Agreed. Still in rotation for me as well. Seeing them in SF in December and very much looking forward to it.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

the setlist this year looks fucking amazing.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Only a few days left until i'll get to see them! Can't wait and oh my fucking god, http://www.livenation.co.uk/artist/opeth-tickets.

The unique show, dubbed 'An Evening with OPETH' will feature two sets from the progressive Swedes, including 2005's much-lauded 'Ghost Reveries' album in its entirety (which in turn is celebrating its 10th anniversary), plus a second set of classics from their 25-year career.

Looks like i'm booking a trip to London next year.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

much-lauded :lol:

Must be great to rewrite history.
isak
Maynard Believer

Post by isak »

Ettan wrote:Only a few days left until i'll get to see them! Can't wait and oh my fucking god, http://www.livenation.co.uk/artist/opeth-tickets.

The unique show, dubbed 'An Evening with OPETH' will feature two sets from the progressive Swedes, including 2005's much-lauded 'Ghost Reveries' album in its entirety (which in turn is celebrating its 10th anniversary), plus a second set of classics from their 25-year career.

Looks like i'm booking a trip to London next year.
That will be killer!! Definitely considering it myself although am hoping they extend that "unique" show to other parts of the globe.

IMHO "Ghost of Perdition" is up there as one of the greatest metal tracks of all time! The dynamics are amazing.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Just had my first full listen through of Pale Communion... and I thoroughly enjoyed it. VERY solid album.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Can't believe i'll see them in 24h. Alcest is opening as well, then going out to some clubs. Very much looking forward to this weekend!
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

at the bar atm, waiting for doors to open. BRING IT ON MAN
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Just got home from Stockholm and I've still not had any sleep, what a night.

Doors opened at 7pm and the place was full around 8pm when the opening act started. Alcest got great response from the crowd but I found their performance to be pretty pale and meh. Not bad but not amazing.

9pm and Opeth hits the stage, same setlist as previous shows so I knew what to expect. The audio was ok, could barely hear Mikael at all when he growled so I can't tell if his growls has improved since the last tours, but it sounded evil and he was very into it. Barely any talk between songs which I found surprising, he usually jokes around a lot but this time it was more serious. The crowd was amazing, no moshing, no crowd surfing or anything like that. Everyone just stood and nodded their heads and sang along, top notch Stockholm! But things got bad towards the end for me. Three songs left and right at the start of The Lotus Eater I started to feel sick. I started to sweat like a pig and I got pale and cold, I had to leave. I'm so sad that this happened, I can't believe it.

Oh well, Opeth gave me an incredible experience and a night I will never forget. 10/10

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Last edited by Ettan on Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

You probably have ebola, RIP
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Still a bit bummed about it but at least i'm no longer hangover. Good god.

Anyway, the show got excellent reviews and I fully agree. We met some cool people there, a lot of chicks as well which I found surprising. I've always thought that Opeth is sort of "posh" and attracts a special kind of crowd. A few Tool fans as well. It's funny that everyone blames Maynard for the delay. We hung out with one group who was really nice and all until one of them said "Have you come to the wrong place?" Simply because I had expensive clothing, cunt.

Would do it all again! Kittan, you'll have a great time and probably a new setlist.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Ettan wrote: We hung out with one group who was really nice and all until one of them said "Have you come to the wrong place?" Simply because I had expensive clothing, cunt.
Should have tipped your fedora, flipped your cape and said good day sir.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

Why do girls always go for douchebags instead of nice guys like me? *tips fedora*. I'm a true gentlesir :(
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I have no idea, I'm the nicest guy you will ever meet, but when I start discussing my atheism and my love for My Little Pony they get disinterested, it's like they don't want a nice guy, FFS
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

FUCK YES
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Opeth performing snippets of a bunch of older songs including Face of Melinda, Black Rose Immortal, Bleak. Harvest and more live from their 25th Anniversary Tour at the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles, CA (Night 1 of 2) on October 24, 2015.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Not much interested myself, but since I got the link:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/ope ... al-journey