Headphones Required

Music in all its forms and styles
M0G
Lungsmen

Headphones Required

Post by M0G »

We all know decent headphones make every album sound better, but have you ever come across an album that did nothing for you until you listened to it on a really good set of headphones? Or an album that you found only slightly interesting until you listened to it on a great set of cans? I have run into this a number of times. Albums that should have "good headphones required" as a prerequisite to listening. Here is the place to post them. Albums that come alive when the headphones go on.

I recently purchased How to Destroy Angels - Welcome Oblivion. I have gone back and forth on this one for awhile. The lyrics and Reznor's wife's average voice didn't work for me, but the music intrigued me. I bit the bullet and purchased the album and then put on my Audio-Technica's and WOW. The fucking album came alive. Ross and Reznor make magic together. Mariqueen Maandig sounds much better and in the correct place in the mix. All the vivid sounds and intricacies Ross and Reznor create swim and surround Maandig's vocals to create something fucking compelling. My only complaint is the lyrical content is wayyy too fucking simple, but at the end of the day, that doesn't take away from what they achieved on this album. Absolutely top notch production and sound quality.

Another album that didn't do much for me until I put on the headphones was Crosses - +++ (Crosses). Pete spoke highly of this project and this latest release and I wrote it off fairly quickly after a brief listen to a song or two that had been released for preview. As much as I hated the fact that Chino used the title Bitches Brew (which should have been retired as Miles Davis is a fucking legend) for a track, after a few listens it started to grow on me. Again I figured what the hell and purchased the album and once again, as soon as I put on the cans the album become something entirely different. Wonderful, layered approach to song writing and engaging lyrical content. I can understand what Pete sees in this project now and why he spoke so highly of it.

Lastly, I am tossing in an album that is fucking superb no matter what you are listening to it on. The latest Animals as Leaders album, The Joy of Motion. This is a fantastic album, one that will no doubt be on many best of 2014 lists by year's end. However, as good as it is, regular speakers, even decent ones, do not really do it justice. There is just so much going on that you need to listen to it on good headphones to really appreciate what is happening musically. Not purely a headphone album, but one I highly recommend you put the headphones on for.

I will be posting recommended headphone listening albums regularly and look forward to your recommendations.
The most intelligent person on this forum
M0G
Lungsmen

Re: Headphones Required

Post by M0G »

Next on the list is a brilliant ambient work by a band called Mountains, entitled Centralia. The album ebbs and flows in and out of droney, dreamy soundscapes. It has a minimalist aesthetic that still manages to engage and challenge the listener. Truly a beautiful piece of music that is absolutely headphone required material. Happy listening.

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Nice thread. I'll have to think of some suggestions/notable listens I've had through headphones. Nothing like hearing shit revealed in a song you've listened to constantly for 20 something years.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster - Exegesis

I recommended this album over in the Bandcamp Thread and it never got a second, which is a shame. Really solid album that sounds excellent on head phones. The bass really comes out to the front with the cans on. Excellent musicianship all around. The drumming is also very solid. They play around with multiple genres, moving between post-metal, post-rock, ambient and even some more traditional sounding alternative rock. There is definitely a Tool influence there, which is why I was so surprised it got no love in the BC thread. Enjoy.

iloveposters
Geacon

Post by iloveposters »

Radiohead - OK Computer

NIN - The Fragile

Soen - Cognitive
5/20/2001 - NYC, NY
9/22/2001 - Hartford, CT
8/12/2002 - Trenton, NJ
5/20/2006 - NYC, NY
9/28/2006 - Camden, NJ
10/5/2006 - Hartford, CT
10/6/2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
10/7/2006 - Uniondale, NY
8/1/2009 - Jersey City, NY
1/31/2012 - Uncasville, CT
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

AUTECHRE - LP5

SECRET CHIEFS 3 - BOOK OF SOULS: FOLIO A

COIL - MOON'S MILK

FENNESZ - ENDLESS SUMMER

HECKER - SUN PANDAEMONIUM

LIARS - WIXIW
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

iloveposters wrote:Radiohead - OK Computer
Oh yeah, this x1000000.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

M0G wrote:Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster - Exegesis

I recommended this album over in the Bandcamp Thread and it never got a second, which is a shame. Really solid album that sounds excellent on head phones. The bass really comes out to the front with the cans on. Excellent musicianship all around. The drumming is also very solid. They play around with multiple genres, moving between post-metal, post-rock, ambient and even some more traditional sounding alternative rock. There is definitely a Tool influence there, which is why I was so surprised it got no love in the BC thread. Enjoy.

I'm sure you've seen it by now but HB seconded it.

And it is a really good album that most people here would like. I've been stuck on it for the past few days.
Hey! Denty!
iloveposters
Geacon

Post by iloveposters »

I am giving this album a listen on my AKG Heaphones...kinda excited
5/20/2001 - NYC, NY
9/22/2001 - Hartford, CT
8/12/2002 - Trenton, NJ
5/20/2006 - NYC, NY
9/28/2006 - Camden, NJ
10/5/2006 - Hartford, CT
10/6/2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
10/7/2006 - Uniondale, NY
8/1/2009 - Jersey City, NY
1/31/2012 - Uncasville, CT
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Hey Mog. I remember you posted some headphone you really liked a while back. A Amazon.com link maybe? I don't remember where it was, it very well could have been this thread but I'm on my phone so searching is a bitch. The one thing I remember you said was that it had a non removable cable? Hope this helps lol. I'm searching all over for a really good set of headphones for playing guitar that won't break the bank like a set of Bose or even Beats
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

xZ1mM3r wrote:Hey Mog. I remember you posted some headphone you really liked a while back. A Amazon.com link maybe? I don't remember where it was, it very well could have been this thread but I'm on my phone so searching is a bitch. The one thing I remember you said was that it had a non removable cable? Hope this helps lol. I'm searching all over for a really good set of headphones for playing guitar that won't break the bank like a set of Bose or even Beats
I was actually looking for the same thing. I believe this is the thread: http://fourtheye.net/f/viewtopic.php?f= ... nes#p31294
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

fortysixand2 wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote:Hey Mog. I remember you posted some headphone you really liked a while back. A Amazon.com link maybe? I don't remember where it was, it very well could have been this thread but I'm on my phone so searching is a bitch. The one thing I remember you said was that it had a non removable cable? Hope this helps lol. I'm searching all over for a really good set of headphones for playing guitar that won't break the bank like a set of Bose or even Beats
I was actually looking for the same thing. I believe this is the thread: http://fourtheye.net/f/viewtopic.php?f= ... nes#p31294
exactly! thanks man, heres the amazon link to M0Gs recomendation:
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

I bought them a few weeks ago (refurbish for $70), I havent been able to spend much time with them, but my first impressions is they are great.

Get the coiled cable, i cant imagine having like 12 feet of straight cable to deal with.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Umadbrah? wrote:I bought them a few weeks ago (refurbish for $70), I havent been able to spend much time with them, but my first impressions is they are great.

Get the coiled cable, i cant imagine having like 12 feet of straight cable to deal with.
That 70$ deal is expired now. So im still searching
kowalski
Maynard Believer

Post by kowalski »

iloveposters wrote:

I am giving this album a listen on my AKG Heaphones...kinda excited

Listening to it. I really like what I've heard so far. Thanks.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

I present to you Nils Frahm. A composer from Germany who melds classical and ambient together in a remarkable way. Incredibly good piano player. The album being presented is called Spaces. It is a fascinating concept album in that he took pieces of music from numerous live performances and blended them together in a way that makes the album feel like it is one live performance. Put on the headphones, sit back, close your eyes and enjoy.

basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

^That would have been really good with headphones... I need to get me a set. :(
Professor of Lesbian Science
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I'm about to post on it elsewhere, but you can throw the ISIS - Panopticon remaster on the pile as well.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

joeypants wrote:I'm about to post on it elsewhere, but you can throw the ISIS - Panopticon remaster on the pile as well.
Absofuckinlutely sir. One of the greatest albums ever written in the history of the multiverse
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Thanks to Joey. I don't really need to say much about this album. ISIS - Panopticon (Remastered). Fucking brilliant. Sounds incredible. Go buy and listen now.

joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I'm probably going to dive in and give this a proper headphone listen today or tonight. Thusfar I've only listened on my car stereo and our band PA.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

I never got around to getting decent headphones, so I primarily use my shitty Panasonic pair or (gasp) my computer's speakers when listening to music.

Would the remaster be wasted on me?
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

The Boss wrote:I never got around to getting decent headphones, so I primarily use my shitty Panasonic pair or (gasp) my computer's speakers when listening to music.

Absolutely worth checking out. Sounds better on everything. Literally everything. Laptop, Tablet, Speakers, Headphones, etc. Fantastic remaster.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

The Boss wrote:I never got around to getting decent headphones, so I primarily use my shitty Panasonic pair or (gasp) my computer's speakers when listening to music.

I mean, it sounds fucking great full stop so I would say no. But if you're intimately familiar with the original, it's a real treat because you'll be more aware of the differences I think.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

joeypants wrote:

I mean, it sounds fucking great full stop so I would say no. But if you're intimately familiar with the original, it's a real treat because you'll be more aware of the differences I think.
^ Motherfuckin Truth ^