The Cost of booking major bands in 2014

Music in all its forms and styles
iloveposters
Geacon

The Cost of booking major bands in 2014

Post by iloveposters »

Ever wonder how much it costs to book a band? This is a pretty giant list..

http://degy.com/Tour%20Avails.pdf

For EX: QOTSA - $75k-$175k

Green Day: $500k+ LOLOL

Chevelle: $40k - $60k

Taylor Swift: $1mill +

The Killers: $500k +

Mogwai: $25k-$35k

Thoughts?
5/20/2001 - NYC, NY
9/22/2001 - Hartford, CT
8/12/2002 - Trenton, NJ
5/20/2006 - NYC, NY
9/28/2006 - Camden, NJ
10/5/2006 - Hartford, CT
10/6/2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
10/7/2006 - Uniondale, NY
8/1/2009 - Jersey City, NY
1/31/2012 - Uncasville, CT
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Re: The Cost of booking major bands in 2014

Post by Ravenpig »

This might be a dumb question but is this what the arena/venue pays them before they split up ticket sales? (I'm assuming all the concession sales belong to the venues)
Hey! Denty!
BlindnCynical
formery Umadbrah?

Post by BlindnCynical »

I just added up some of the bigger acts to a festival im going to in a few weeks. If this is accurate, they put out about a 1MIL for the top acts maybe 1.25 total for everyone.

Primus wasnt on the list i gave them 90K as a placeholder.
iloveposters
Geacon

Post by iloveposters »

Ravenpig wrote:This might be a dumb question but is this what the arena/venue pays them before they split up ticket sales? (I'm assuming all the concession sales belong to the venues)
From what I understand this is the price that must be paid to the artist's management when they are booked.

I am almost positive that the managment then receives a percentage. Also, one must include cost of buses, hotels, if the band has to hire security for the venue, if they pay their roadies or hire volunteers etc.

Also, I would assume the bands also make a fair share off of merchandise sales while touring as well.

There was a lawsuit involving a New Jersey based venue and the courts demanded that the venue release all information regarding rentals for certain years. It was interesting to see what time the bands/events get to use the venue for and what time they have to be out. I will try to find it as it was quite interesting and unique. I remember the contracts stating that the venue did not have to share concessions.

Here it is:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/0 ... tho_1.html

Wanna know what NIN agreed to? It's in there! So many artists contracts were released, it's absolute incredible if you want to know a little bit about the business of ticketing and booking venues/bands.

Excerpt
The contracts, disclosed after a nearly three-year legal battle for the documents by The Star-Ledger, cast a new light on the highly competitive and secretive concert industry where no one talks about the deals that have been cut.

According to the documents, the authority typically charged $80,000 plus expenses to rent the Izod Center in East Rutherford — a number that could float up or down significantly, based on the kind of event being hosted, the promoter, or the expected draw of the act. The authority also received a $3.50 facility charge per ticket.

The artist typically took all of the gate, except in those cases where the authority took a share of a show.

In nearly all cases, the authority retained all parking revenues, and usually concession revenues as well—but not always. An addendum to a Ringling Brothers contract with the sports authority from 2007, which extends to circus and ice shows through 2012, for example, gives Ringling sole and exclusive right to sell Sno-Cones, cotton candy, popcorn and s’mores.

"We’ve never lost money on a concert," said Sports Authority executive vice president James Minish.

Several of the contracts, meanwhile, showed special accommodations were made to sign certain performers.

Springsteen’s 2009 Working on a Dream Tour, for example, called for a fleet of passenger vans and crew luggage vans, along with a requirement for a six-passenger limo "for the ‘Big Man,’" referring to the late Clarence Clemons. The backstage food and beverage requirements were redacted under the judges’ order — 12 pages worth.

The Smuckers Stars on Ice show in April 2011 had a "event exclusivity clause" that limited the show’s engagements at venues within 30-mile radius.

Christina Aguilera insisted on having a doctor in the house.
5/20/2001 - NYC, NY
9/22/2001 - Hartford, CT
8/12/2002 - Trenton, NJ
5/20/2006 - NYC, NY
9/28/2006 - Camden, NJ
10/5/2006 - Hartford, CT
10/6/2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
10/7/2006 - Uniondale, NY
8/1/2009 - Jersey City, NY
1/31/2012 - Uncasville, CT