ISIS

Music in all its forms and styles
joeypants
Goderator

ISIS

Post by joeypants »

Sort of can't believe there isn't a thread for these guys yet. Anyway, I picked up the Panopticon remaster a couple of days ago and HOLY SHIT. It's amazing. Well, provided you were a fan of the original I suppose. I pretty much know Panopticon like the back of my own hand at this point, so hearing it come to life in a new way was truly eye-opening and fascinating. There's an incredible amount of added clarity and space given to just about every instrument, and it really makes the album feel different while obviously, still being the album that me and so many others love. The vocals seem to be even lower in the mix this time around, which is interesting. Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend picking it up whether you've heard it before or not.
joeypants
Goderator

Re: ISIS

Post by joeypants »

Also the CD just went up for order:

http://hydrahead.merchtable.com/music/c ... 2pZEvldXVp
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

^ I fucking love you man. Had no clue Panopticon was getting remastered. Just bought that shit. Went ahead and picked up the Celestial remaster from last year as well. Usually I am not a big fan of remasters but that is typically only for older albums. I like the authentic sound of the original. In this case though we are not talking about old albums. They already sounded excellent. This is not changing the authentic sound so much as enhancing it. It doesn't change the soul of the album, it just feels bigger now. Like it has reached it's full potential.
Last edited by M0G on Wed May 07, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most intelligent person on this forum
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Yeah. I still have not gone back and A/B'ed the original with the remaster of Panopticon but like I said, it's basically one of my favorite albums of all time and I know it so well. The remaster just has so much clarity and heft behind it. It doesn't really fundamentally change anything major, yet it feels so fresh and new at the same time. I'm really not a fan of remastering jobs either, normally. I just love finally being able to really pick out each guitar part, and especially Cliff's key work. This release seems to only enhance what's there without losing any of what made the original so special.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I listened to Backlit when they were streaming it a few weeks and I liked it, but when I listened to the original version it didn't actually seem that different. The only thing I could really point out was that the keys seemed more prominent. I liked the remastered Celestial, so I'll probably end up picking this up on CD since it's the only ISIS album I don't have on CD and that kinda bugs me.
Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

joeypants wrote:Sort of can't believe there isn't a thread for these guys yet. Anyway, I picked up the Panopticon remaster a couple of days ago and HOLY SHIT. It's amazing. Well, provided you were a fan of the original I suppose. I pretty much know Panopticon like the back of my own hand at this point, so hearing it come to life in a new way was truly eye-opening and fascinating. There's an incredible amount of added clarity and space given to just about every instrument, and it really makes the album feel different while obviously, still being the album that me and so many others love. The vocals seem to be even lower in the mix this time around, which is interesting. Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend picking it up whether you've heard it before or not.
Whoa, I don't know if that would be an improvement.

I absolutely adore ISIS, but I can't imagine why I would pick this up. Their production has always been more than adequate anyway.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Out of all the remasters I've ever heard the only one that made me go "now that's much better" is Pretty Hate Machine by NIN.

I've been listening to a lot of Isis lately (never really have before) and only heard the remaster of Panopticon so I've no idea what difference it made.

For the record out of the 4 records I've heard Radiant Wavelength is my favorite but the first 4 songs in Oceanic are my favorite part of their albums (so far).
Hey! Denty!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Ravenpig wrote:Out of all the remasters I've ever heard the only one that made me go "now that's much better" is Pretty Hate Machine by NIN.

I've been listening to a lot of Isis lately (never really have before) and only heard the remaster of Panopticon so I've no idea what difference it made.

For the record out of the 4 records I've heard Radiant Wavelength is my favorite but the first 4 songs in Oceanic are my favorite part of their albums (so far).
Please tell me this was intentional.

I just had the best gut-laugh of the year.

You're alright, Pig.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

LOULZ

Uh, yes??

No it wasn't. My favorite Isis album and I butcher the name. Ha!

Well, like I said, I've only barely getting to know them. That's what I get for not using my google machine!
Hey! Denty!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

No problem.

I struggle to find anything that ISIS did that I didn't like. Getting into their earlier work after you've done their later masterpieces is a headtrip, too. In a very good way.
isak
Maynard Believer

Post by isak »

The Boss wrote:No problem.

I struggle to find anything that ISIS did that I didn't like. Getting into their earlier work after you've done their later masterpieces is a headtrip, too. In a very good way.
im still devastated since the breakup & forever stuck in their magical loop but slightly hopeful that the band will collectively realise one fine day that whatever they're currently doing is just denying the true reason why they were really put on this planet! just reunite already!! having said that, true respect (& disgust!) to a band that decides to call it a day at the top of their game! loved WR & the direction they took - a follow-up or two would've filled that nasty void that's been hanging around since!

re filling voids, even though ISIS are irreplaceable, are there any recommendations/contenders out there worthy of a listen to help me move on?? I thought Intronaut's last album was very good - happy to hear any suggestions otherwise i fear i will never get out of this loop!!!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Wavering Radiant is pound-for-pound my favorite. They seemed about to turn another corner and get even better, and it kills me they hung it up.

Everything from Oceanic onwards is top fucking shelf for me. I dig the earlier stuff, but it's a little more of a curiosity for me. I don't listen to the "older" stuff that much.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

joeypants wrote:Wavering Radiant is pound-for-pound my favorite. They seemed about to turn another corner and get even better, and it kills me they hung it up.

Everything from Oceanic onwards is top fucking shelf for me. I dig the earlier stuff, but it's a little more of a curiosity for me. I don't listen to the "older" stuff that much.
The old stuff is great. I have everything they have released save for a few splits and collobrations.

I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite band at this point but Isis is way up on the list. If I had to choose a favorite album from them it would be Panopticon though.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I'm listening to Warbling Rodent right now. The Cookie Monster vocals don't intrude for me at all... This is the way you do it.

Been at least 6 months since I gave it a spin and it is sweet to hear it again.
Ki77aan :twisted:
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

isak wrote:
The Boss wrote:No problem.

im still devastated since the breakup & forever stuck in their magical loop but slightly hopeful that the band will collectively realise one fine day that whatever they're currently doing is just denying the true reason why they were really put on this planet! just reunite already!! having said that, true respect (& disgust!) to a band that decides to call it a day at the top of their game! loved WR & the direction they took - a follow-up or two would've filled that nasty void that's been hanging around since!

re filling voids, even though ISIS are irreplaceable, are there any recommendations/contenders out there worthy of a listen to help me move on?? I thought Intronaut's last album was very good - happy to hear any suggestions otherwise i fear i will never get out of this loop!!!
Mouth of the Architect
Pelican
Dirge
We Lost the Sea
Rosetta
The Ocean
Russian Circles
Latitudes
Nadja
Omega Massif
Old Man Gloom
Neurosis
Sannhet
Callisto

Just a few to get you started. Enjoy
isak
Maynard Believer

Post by isak »

Thx for the list mog - a recommendation to start with?? Artist/album?

Already familiar with Pelican, Russian Circles & The Ocean.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

isak wrote:Thx for the list mog - a recommendation to start with?? Artist/album?

Already familiar with Pelican, Russian Circles & The Ocean.
Mouth of the Architect is amazing. Check out their latest album Dawning.

I think you would also enjoy Rosetta. Their latest album is called The Anaesthete.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

If you don't like OLD MAN GLOOM, I hate you.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

What MOG said. If you held a gun to my head, I would say Intronaut, Mouth of the Architect and Rosetta are really strong artists in a similar vein as ISIS (Intronaut is definitely the furthest out there from them of that bunch, in a good way). Rosetta's shit is all good, but Wake/Lift is unreal and very ISIS-ish to my ears.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

The Boss wrote:If you don't like OLD MAN GLOOM, I hate you.
Yeah Old Man Gloom would be an obvious go to with Aaron Turner on vocals and guitar. (Caleb and Nate on vocals as well, but the Turner connection would obviously be most relevant to a big ISIS fan)

@Isak - Nate on vocals on this one

Aaron on vocals on this one

N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

I don't think ISIS should ever get back together and just keep things exactly how the are as of now, 100% perfect.
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I just got an email they changed the name of their Facebook page to Isis the band. That must suck.
Last edited by UndKeineZwEier on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't mow your lawn
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

UndKeineZwEier wrote:I just got a name they changed the name of their Facebook page to Isis the band. That must suck.
I didn't. What the actual fuck.

Listened to ISIS last night before my stand-up thing. Owned into oblivion.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I checked their page and I think people are accidentally tagging them when they talk about the Islamic group.
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

They should change their name to Isisband
Hey! Denty!