Hip hop/Rap . . .

Music in all its forms and styles
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Re: Hip hop/Rap . . .

Post by The Boss »

BlackHole83 wrote:Nope. Still good albums to check out if you haven't though.
If you're not even going to read the original post that started this thread, why should I pay any attention to you?
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

Don't. I don't give a shit. Listen to a recommendation or don't. Doesn't really bother me, good tunes though
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

[youtube][/youtube]

Da shit.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

The Melvins of hip-hop (c)

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

[youtube][/youtube]
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

The Largest Vocabulary in Hip Hop

Matt Daniels is a designer, coder, and data scientist at Undercurrent in New York City. His past works include the Etymology of "Shorty" and Outkast, in graphs and charts. He decided to examine the vocabulary of hip hop artists, and this is what he found. – May 2014

Literary elites love to rep Shakespeare’s vocabulary: across his entire corpus, he uses 28,829 words, suggesting he knew over 100,000 words and arguably had the largest vocabulary, ever.
more:
http://rappers.mdaniels.com.s3-website- ... zonaws.com
- You like noisy music?
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Anything by Pharoahe Monch. His early 90s stuff with Organized Konfusion is great too. (Best lyricist and flow on the planet. Eminem stole his style.)
Jurassic 5
Public Enemy
Del the Funky Homosapien.
Hieroglyphics
DJ Shadow
RJD2
Aceyalone

....Just to name a few.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

The Boss wrote:I'm starting to think that I'm a big fan of hip hop/rap. Much like with anything, I'm not a fan of the cheap or crass stuff.

Any recommendations?

I dig MOS DEF, NAS (God-tier NAS), KANYE, pretty much everything on the Hyperdub label. I'm more into the chill side of the genre, or anything that evokes New York in a rough area on a sunny summer afternoon. Not big on aggressive stuff, or anything that has an excessive use of the words "niggers", "bitch/es", or "hoes".

Huge fan of trip hop.

I'm trying to branch out a bit. Any help would be sweet.

(Sorry if there is already a thread for this. I gave it a cursory glance, but couldn't find anything.)
It would be really helpful if people read the original post.

Suggesting PUBLIC ENEMY, for example, indicates that you haven't.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

The Boss wrote:
The Boss wrote:I'm starting to think that I'm a big fan of hip hop/rap. Much like with anything, I'm not a fan of the cheap or crass stuff.

Any recommendations?

I dig MOS DEF, NAS (God-tier NAS), KANYE, pretty much everything on the Hyperdub label. I'm more into the chill side of the genre, or anything that evokes New York in a rough area on a sunny summer afternoon. Not big on aggressive stuff, or anything that has an excessive use of the words "niggers", "bitch/es", or "hoes".

Huge fan of trip hop.

I'm trying to branch out a bit. Any help would be sweet.

(Sorry if there is already a thread for this. I gave it a cursory glance, but couldn't find anything.)
It would be really helpful if people read the original post.

Suggesting PUBLIC ENEMY, for example, indicates that you haven't.
I suggest YOU read your own post and then listen to "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back". Everything else I suggested goes along with what you are requesting as well. Don't be a dick. BTW, Public Enemy are from New York, moron. You are obviously clueless about hip hop. You can't say that you listen to Kanye, but don't want to hear excessive use of the N-bomb. It's contradicting.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

That may be true, but I did specify what I was after.

I could've said "I like AGGRESSIVE NEGRO NEIGHBOURHOOD and VIOLENT COP KILLAHS, but I'm more looking for chilled-out stuff."

Which is fundamentally what I said.

Regardless, thanks for your suggestions.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

[youtube][/youtube]

One of my favourite hip hop albums
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Public Enemy doesn't really need to be recommended in any rap thread. Anyone who hasn't heard of PE isn't doing it right.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

The Boss wrote:That may be true, but I did specify what I was after.

I could've said "I like AGGRESSIVE NEGRO NEIGHBOURHOOD and VIOLENT COP KILLAHS, but I'm more looking for chilled-out stuff."

Which is fundamentally what I said.

Regardless, thanks for your suggestions.
Aggressive negro neighbourhood? WTF. Anyways, cross Public Enemy off that list I made and I believe you will find some pretty chilled out, thought provoking music. Or not.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Hi, my name is Crow and I Australian and I haven't scoped any blunt passin' party time raps in a short

[youtube][/youtube]

check da reckid, yo ... love dis joint
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

petemasterpete wrote:Hi, my name is Crow and I Australian and I haven't scoped any blunt passin' party time raps in a short

[youtube][/youtube]

check da reckid, yo ... love dis joint
This fucking joint brings back hella memories. I'm going to have to dig this one out of storage
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Not Tyson wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

One of my favourite hip hop albums
classic!!
- You like noisy music?
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I have no idea who this is but I feel it should be in this thread:
Founded in late 2005 with no intentions of recording an album, La Coka Nostra was more a collective of artists who knew Danny Boy than a supergroup. They are a breath of fresh air in these days of contrived airbrushed rap music. LCN isn’t trying to gloss shit up in the least. They like it crusty and gritty the way rap music should be and feel that somewhere along the lines, people forgot about groups like the mighty Wu­Tang Clan, Ultra Magnetics and Cypress Hill. We forgot the dirty raw esthetic these groups had but LA Coka sure didn’t. They embrace the darkness stench and all and aren’t afraid to be celebrate it.
4 mixtapes and 2 EP’s later, Slaine, Danny Boy, DJ Eclipse and Ill Bill are finally bringing their rawness down to Australia in the form of an Australian wide tour presented by LCNAUSTRALIA.TV, with tickets on sale from 7th May.

BRISBANE – WED 27TH AUGUST ­ Coniston Lane
MELBOURNE – THURS 28TH AUGUST ­ Prince of Wales
ADELAIDE – FRI 29TH AUGUST ­ XL Superclub
SYDNEY – SAT 30TH AUGUST ­ Factory theatre
PERTH – SUN 31ST AUGUST ­ Villa
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Yeah, I was really going for that almost monotonous rhythm that NAS and a lot of trip-hop groups have. A bit of an edge and melody is great, which is why I love the Hyperdub label.

I said I was after something that would evoke the sense of a hot summer afternoon in a poor New York neighbourhood. What I meant was something that you would expect pretty much everyone in the "Unfinished Sympathy" music video to be singing about. Which brings us back to why I like NAS.

I dig a very minimal but deep underlying rhythm coupled with some pretty heavy lyrics sung through a monotonous and extremely rhythmical beat. MOS DEF hits it pretty hard, but he's a bit too positive and fun-(ish).

Don't get me wrong - I have genuinely listened to pretty much everyone's suggestions, as this is a genre with great merit. It's just tough, because I'm after a specific sound/thing. Many of you got what I was after, and I am really appreciative for that.

Anyone a fan of the Hyperdub label? It's not specifically going to help, but it's a start . . .
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy wrote:I have no idea who this is but I feel it should be in this thread:
Founded in late 2005 with no intentions of recording an album, La Coka Nostra was more a collective of artists who knew Danny Boy than a supergroup. They are a breath of fresh air in these days of contrived airbrushed rap music. LCN isn’t trying to gloss shit up in the least. They like it crusty and gritty the way rap music should be and feel that somewhere along the lines, people forgot about groups like the mighty Wu­Tang Clan, Ultra Magnetics and Cypress Hill. We forgot the dirty raw esthetic these groups had but LA Coka sure didn’t. They embrace the darkness stench and all and aren’t afraid to be celebrate it.
4 mixtapes and 2 EP’s later, Slaine, Danny Boy, DJ Eclipse and Ill Bill are finally bringing their rawness down to Australia in the form of an Australian wide tour presented by LCNAUSTRALIA.TV, with tickets on sale from 7th May.

BRISBANE – WED 27TH AUGUST ­ Coniston Lane
MELBOURNE – THURS 28TH AUGUST ­ Prince of Wales
ADELAIDE – FRI 29TH AUGUST ­ XL Superclub
SYDNEY – SAT 30TH AUGUST ­ Factory theatre
PERTH – SUN 31ST AUGUST ­ Villa
Danny Boy was the other white boy in House of Pain ... a couple years ago they toured as the full backing band for a house of pain reunion type thing
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining