Deftones

Music in all its forms and styles
THE1TRUEMOG
Green Herbsman

Re: Deftones

Post by THE1TRUEMOG »

The new album is interesting. Absolutely in the realm of Saturday Night Wrist. It lacks the polish of Koi but I suspect they were going for a muddier sound which fits with the GORE motif. More electronic elements than in any previous release. Musically not as heavy but thematically I would argue it is a deeper examination. First listen I enjoyed most of it. I tend to think amongst Deftones fans it is going to be one of those love/hate albums. The band has absolutely explored a very different musical direction on this one. Personally I like the direction they have taken and I applaud them for trying something different. I also feel that the album is very consistent. It has a clear identity and nothing feels out of place. You can hear echoes of Palms and Crosses in there but it is still very much a Deftones album, albeit more eccentric or eclectic depending on your perspective.

I need a few more listens before I give any kind of score with this one. I definitely dig it but need more time with the album.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Sounds good one time through ... Definitely some new sounds they haven't used before especially when it comes to tone of the guitar in several parts ... As with most deftones records, it'll take a few spins to 'get' where they're going. Hearts/wires (which I didn't listen to when initially released) is an immediate standout sonically and from a song writing perspective.

You can definitely hear the 80's emo/chino influence in parts of the album and I also get a hint of The Police and Peter Gabriel vibe in parts, especially in the rhythm section tones. I'm not entirely surprised by this as they hinted toward this direction with the last track of Koi and it's noticeable right from the get go of Prayers/Triangles. But I could be way off, being this is my very initial reaction.

I also noted some quite immediate/abrupt style changes (a la SNW) in some of the songs from verse to chorus, etc. and it'll be interesting to see how they pull that off live.

No doubt, I'll listen to it 2 or 3 more times today and report back once it's settled in a bit more.

EDIT/UPDATE: So I'm a hand full of listens through now, and granted I don't anticipate it being my favorite record from them, they've done enough new things here. In typical fashion they've managed to somehow change their approach enough to be fresh but still maintain the Deftones signature. This is why they remain my favorite band even when I'm not in love with every song.

Most notably, the time signatures sound strange more often on this one, even vocally, than they're usually accustomed to delivering. The immediate changes I mentioned above, actually fall into place with a few listens. I remember having similar thoughts the first time I heard Feiticiera (from White Pony) and it grew to be one of my favorite vocal deliveries still to this day. The 'new wave-y' vocals that seem prominent on all the songs the first time through, have mellowed and seem a bit more nuanced than it originally sounded to me and they now seem to fall into place as they always have with each subsequent release. I'm not sold on the mix in all parts and I think Abe is too far back, but a bit of tweaking the equilizer has brought him back up where he belongs in my home. I still feel he's way underrated.

I'm particularly in love with the chorus portion of Rubicon, at the moment (as repetitive as the track becomes), solely for the very failure-like guitar tone, effect and playing underlying the chorus portion. Hearts/Wires remains my favorite from a purely songwriting perspective. Watching them kill it with the new tracks on Kimmel got me all wet for the next chance I get to see them.

It certainly won't be my album of the year, but it's a solid record, it's still definitively Deftones, it's definitely a grower, as is the case with all of their records since ATF.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Oh look, Chino formed another band. This one's called Saudade.
http://pitchfork.com/news/65120-deftone ... n-medeski/
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Loulz
Hey! Denty!
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Sounds good, not sure I'll go.
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Daisy221
Maynard Believer

Post by Daisy221 »

Hello there! I am Daisy from UK, a newbie member in this community .
fortysixand2
Uncle Fucker

Post by fortysixand2 »

Jul 27 - Portland, OR - Theatre Of The Clouds At Moda Center
Jul 28 - Seattle, WA - WAMU Theater
Jul 30 - San Francisco, CA - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
Aug 01 - Las Vegas, NV - Pearl Concert Theater
Aug 02 - Los Angeles, CA - Greek Theatre
Aug 04 - Phoenix, AZ - Arizona Federal Theatre
Aug 05 - Albuquerque, NM - Isleta Amphiheatre
Aug 07 - Bonner Springs, KS - Providence Medical Center Amphitheater
Aug 08 - Milwaukee, WI - Eagles CLub
Aug 09 - Minneapolis, MN - The Armory
Aug 11 - Chicago, IL - Huntington Bank Pavilion
Aug 12 - Sterling Heights, MI - Michigan Lottery Amphitheater At Freedom Hill
Aug 14 - Boston, MA - Agganis Arena
Aug 15 - Laval, QC - Plave Bellaval
Aug 17 - Toronto, ON - RBC Echo Beach
Aug 19 - New York, NY - The Rooftop at Pier 17
Aug 20 - Asbury Park, NJ - Stone Pony Summer Stage
Aug 22 - Philadelphia, PA - The Met
Aug 23 - Washington, DC - The Anthem
Aug 24 - Bridgeport, CT - Harbor Yard Amphitheater
Aug 26 - Pittsburgh, PA - Petersen Events Center
Aug 27 - Indianapolis, IN - Amphitheater at White River State Park
Aug 29 - Atlanta, GA Cadence Bank Amphitheatre
Aug 30 - Nashville, TN - Nashville Municipal Auditorium
Sep 01 - San Antonio, TX - AT&T Center
Sep 02 - Houston, TX - White Oak Music Hall
Sep 03 - Irving, TX - The Pavilion at Toyota Music Factory
Sep 05 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center
Whowatchesthewampas
Green Herbsman
Height: 6

Post by Whowatchesthewampas »

Falling isn't flying
Floating isn't infinite
Whowatchesthewampas
Green Herbsman
Height: 6

Post by Whowatchesthewampas »

Falling isn't flying
Floating isn't infinite
trilobite
Rhandy

Post by trilobite »

Ty Stephen, if you see this. For all of the music youve kept coming & will come. Everything Deftones. Youve helped me through more rough times than I care to share. Keep up on yourself, see you again out there someday soon enough. <3
also, Avatar!