Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson - All Things Related Thread

Music in all its forms and styles
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Kat - You'll have to ask him yourself for details, but in general, he doesn't dig the new format and was turned off by the negativity (which I totally understand)

@ Eyepod - Thanks man.  I am super stoked for tonight.  As I mentioned above somewhere, I had to move a trip back a day to make this show, and we're leaving at like 5:00am tomorrow, back on Tues, but I have surgery on Wed... so I have no idea when I'll get to a review.  If I can find a way on the trip, I'll do it.  

And you're right, you do need to see him live.  One of the best in the business.
Ki77aan :twisted:
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

Kittaan said
@ Kat - You'll have to ask him yourself for details, but in general, he doesn't dig the new format and was turned off by the negativity (which I totally understand)

@ Eyepod - Thanks man.  I am super stoked for tonight.  As I mentioned above somewhere, I had to move a trip back a day to make this show, and we're leaving at like 5:00am tomorrow, back on Tues, but I have surgery on Wed... so I have no idea when I'll get to a review.  If I can find a way on the trip, I'll do it.  

And you're right, you do need to see him live.  One of the best in the business.

I am beginning to see that
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

Been kind of quiet here on the PT thread,thought I might bump with a question and some thoughts.

Has anyone heard rumors,comments,anything on if SW plans to stick with the Raven lineup for another album?

Now that I have had some time with the album I am picking up a really good vibe from this group,and I get the feeling The Raven is only a hint of their potential.These guys appear to really be enjoying themselves from what little I have seen of video footage,and for virtuoso musicians to be actually writing music  is surprisingly a bit rare.

Not to take away from the other musicians SW has worked with,but I seriously hope to hear some more from these guys...and don't even get me started on Govan...WOW,what a sick guitarist,I will be disappointed if I don't get to hear him on another SW album.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

eyepod said
Been kind of quiet here on the PT thread,thought I might bump with a question and some thoughts.

Has anyone heard rumors,comments,anything on if SW plans to stick with the Raven lineup for another album?

Now that I have had some time with the album I am picking up a really good vibe from this group,and I get the feeling The Raven is only a hint of their potential.These guys appear to really be enjoying themselves from what little I have seen of video footage,and for virtuoso musicians to be actually writing music  is surprisingly a bit rare.

Not to take away from the other musicians SW has worked with,but I seriously hope to hear some more from these guys...and don't even get me started on Govan...WOW,what a sick guitarist,I will be disappointed if I don't get to hear him on another SW album.

From recent interviews and chatting briefly with Nick and Theo after the SF show, I gather that they already have new tunes completed and are working on the next SW solo album.  Steven has already said that they hope to debut new material during the next tour run, wherever that's going to be... likely Europe.  I assume it will be the same core band, the chemistry is unbelievable and I imagine it will only improve with time and familiarity.  Looking forward to more with this band for sure.  Also hopeful we'll see PT again soon, but it may be quite a while.  I'm sure they are not done.

I told everyone to watch out for Guthrie.  So very talented technically with amazing feel to go along with it.  Have you ever checked out The Aristocrats?  Very different animal, but I really dig it.  Guthrie and Marco's other band.  Check YouTube.  New album and tour soon.  They kill live.
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

Excellent news!Might hear a little new material soon.

Of course I still have a ton of great "new" SW/PT material to enjoy,but I am always looking to the future.

I had not even heard of Guthrie till you mentioned him here,and I did recently check out his solo work as well as a little of the Aristocrats.That stuff shows off his talents,no doubt.I just saw a youtube video of him demonstrating the fretless guitar.Damn,that guy is good.
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

Looks like I won't be seeing Guthrie with Steven this year unfortunately,but I will be seeing him.

Just picked up 4 tickets for The Aristocrats for August 12th.Super stoked about this!Bought the CD as well.

After showing my buds some YouTube footage,they are just as stoked.Those guys are amazingly talented,and definitely among the more musical of the instrumental groups I have heard.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

eyepod said

Looks like I won't be seeing Guthrie with Steven this year unfortunately,but I will be seeing him.

Just picked up 4 tickets for The Aristocrats for August 12th.Super stoked about this!Bought the CD as well.

After showing my buds some YouTube footage,they are just as stoked.Those guys are amazingly talented,and definitely among the more musical of the instrumental groups I have heard.

Awesome.  I can pretty much guarantee you will be floored.  The Aristocrats are the shit.  They all bring really different things to the table and their interaction is incredibly good.  Enjoy man.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
edin
My pain is just an excuse

Post by edin »

I can't wait to hear what is next for Steven and what new music we might get and maybe another tour. I remember Steven mentioning coming back to the states in the fall. I personally would be greatful for any new Steven material or another solo tour but to reunite with Porcupine Tree for another tour for the Incident or start working on a new album with them would be fantastic for me as I became a fan too late and missed out on so many awesome shows. Never even got to see Porcupine Tree yet. I really hope Steven considers getting into Porcupine Tree mode eventually.
Bobage
Maynard Believer

Post by Bobage »

Just getting up to speed on one of my favorite threads here in the FE corridors.  Thanks Kittaan for keeping my PT/SW enthusiasm alive in my absence.  Shout out to the Baddest Kat as well, miss you babe. 

I was elated beyond measure when SW announced a stop in Colorado for the Raven tour.  One of my favorites and CO has been forsaken ever since the Fear of A Blank Planet tour, which was the last time this slimy limey has stepped foot in the Rocky Mountain State.  As Kittaan's post stated, the Boulder Theater is a gorgeous room and sounds pristine.  It was such a perfect night of music played to perfection.  Also as stated, I was both thrilled then later disappointed when Wackerman dropped off of touring the few dates he was to fill in for Marco.  I know Marco is top notch, but I figured seeing Wackerman on the throne would be a welcome anomaly and I could catch Marco some other time.  Alas, no Chad, thus I had to settle for the mediocrity of Marco(no chops) Minnemann.    This band is fucking ridiculous.  The highest overall level of musicianship ever seen in any SW related joint, bar none.  Stunning night of music.  Guthrie is from another planet.  SW was gracious, amusing, and put on full display precisely why he is quietly one of the most brilliant songwriters/composers of our time.  I noticed there was some speak of Guthrie's transcendant solo from Drive Home earlier on this thread and I found this video that is of fairly respectable sound quality showcasing his otherworldly chops.  Hail.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

^ Awesome clip Bobby!  Steven completely mangled his attempt to wow the Chilean's with his Spanish, but it was so cool of him to try.  

It was excellent seeing that live, and he also sounds great on this clip.  But as cool as it is to see Guthrie improvising (to a point), the solo he laid down in the studio on this track was simply transcendant.  One of my favorites of all time.

And added bonus to see Chad behind the kit, at least on vid.  Thanks.
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

@Bobage-Thanks for the vid.I have been itching for more footage since I wasn't able to attend any of these events.

@Kittaan-Completely agree on that solo.The live version is phenomenal.The studio version is beyond phenomenal.

The studio version represents an absolute mastery of guitar/amp/effects.Just a thought,but I wonder if it may have been too difficult to pull off consistantly live at all venues.I notice he is using(by necessity,I'm sure) the higher powered Marshall live Vs. the little 38 watt Suhr amp that in my opinion,contributes to his signature tone.

Which,by the way is the best I have heard..ever.
Davvda

Post by Davvda »

After the release of the latest album I stopped following Steven on most social websites but I'm still interested to hear other releases. Any news when it comes to songwriting or is he still touring his ass off? I like Grace for Drowning but I thought The Raven that Refused to Sing felt rushed and incomplete.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Davvda said
After the release of the latest album I stopped following Steven on most social websites but I'm still interested to hear other releases. Any news when it comes to songwriting or is he still touring his ass off? I like Grace for Drowning but I thought The Raven that Refused to Sing felt rushed and incomplete.

Interesting.  I don't share that opinion in the least... I think Raven was an evolutionary release. I think the solo project concept began as a way to get his rocks off outside of PT, with complete control over the music and writing (he's alluded to this in interviews).  It's morphed into a full fledged band with a group of musicians for whom he can not only write more complex music than he did with PT, but who now also contribute to the writing.  The next release should be excellent.

Whether or not you like the music, I don't see how you get the impression that it "felt rushed and incomplete", care to elaborate?
edin

Post by edin »

@Davvda

Your post was amusing

Do you only find out about music through social websites?

I don't share the same opinion about Raven That Refused to Sing either. I think it was very complete. Maybe not my favorite of Steven Wilson releases.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Hey Edin and all SW/PT fans.

I'm sure most of you will find this interesting, if you haven't seen it already:

In other SW and Yes news: 

Yes's Close to the Edge Gets the Steven Wilson Remix Treatment
http://www.themortonreport.com/entertai ... treatment/

Seems like there is never any shortage of shit going down when it comes to this guy... and that's the way I like it.

Can't wait to hear CTTE via Steven's ear/brain/talent.  One of my faves.
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

@Kittaan-Yea,I have seen that video..like 5 times LOL.I love this kind of shit.In case ya haven't noticed,I have a bit of a guitar rig fetish,and Guthrie seems to be real particular about his gear.Although I am not too sure about the baked guitar neck,I prefer mine deep fried.

Excellent news on the CTTE album,I love Yes and haven't heard this album in its entirety in years.Gonna have to reacquaint myself with it.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

eyepod said
@Kittaan-Yea,I have seen that video..like 5 times LOL.I love this kind of shit.In case ya haven't noticed,I have a bit of a guitar rig fetish,and Guthrie seems to be real particular about his gear.Although I am not too sure about the baked guitar neck,I prefer mine deep fried.

Excellent news on the CTTE album,I love Yes and haven't heard this album in its entirety in years.Gonna have to reacquaint myself with it.

I've watched it a couple times myself.  When Guthrie whips out the Ohio Players riff, it kills me.  He's a very funny dude with great taste in music (clearly).

If you haven't already, check the Dweezil Zappa rig vid.  There are a ton of interesting PG Rig Rundowns.  
edin

Re: Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson - All Things Related Thr

Post by edin »

Although I am guessing most of you have read it already anyway, this is an update from Steven yesterday:

"Things have been quieter than usual over the last 2 months, just a few festival appearances, but things will soon be gearing up again. Firstly I've written some new material for the first time in over a year - still a long way to go before any new album will take shape (aiming to record next Summer I think), but in the meantime we may premiere something pretty long on the European tour starting in mid October. Lasse Hoile has been over filming new visual content for the show, and we did a few photos at the same time, see attached. Jess Cope is also working on a new animated film for Drive Home. There will be a video EP out in time for the tour, which will include this, as well as the earlier video Jess made for The Raven that Refused to Sing, and a couple of live songs filmed in Frankfurt in March this year (different to the ones we already put on YouTube).

Later this month the new Blackfield album "IV" is released - though I'm involved more as a guest rather than a collaborator this time, Aviv has written and produced a set of beautifully melancholic songs which have that recognisably warm and distinctive Blackfield sound. I sing lead vocals on a song called "Jupiter", which you may have already seen the fantastic sand-art video for.

Last but not least, several remixes of classic albums are being released in October (done over a very long period of time, so it's coincidence that they all seem to be coming out on top of each other!) Yes (official) "Close to the Edge", XTC "Nonsuch", Jethro Tull "Benefit", and King Crimson "Red" were all remixed from the master tapes into stereo and 5.1 (except Red which is a new stereo mix only). I notice these releases referred to as "remasters" quite a lot on the internet, but what I do is remix, which is a very different and much deeper process that involves actually going back to the multitrack session tapes and rebalancing the instruments and recreating the whole sound picture. In fact most of my mixes these days are released without any mastering at all, I prefer it that way. (-:"

I want Porcupine Tree. If I had to pick between seeing Tool or Porcupine Tree live right now, it be Porcupine Tree hands down. Unless Tool played all my favorites.
edin

Post by edin »

Oh and if you haven't read this, definitely check this out. I've been meaning to post this.

‘Don’t worry: Porcupine Tree will return’: Despite slew of solo projects, Gavin Harrison remains upbeat
by Something Else!
June 19, 2013

As Steven Wilson continues to focus exclusively on his solo career, questions about the future of Porcupine Tree persist. Drummer Gavin Harrison, even as he continues his own tandem projects, insists the band isn’t over.

“The first thing to say,” Harrison tells says in the Music Off video below, “is that we haven’t split up. Don’t worry: Porcupine Tree will return.”

Though much more has been made of Wilson’s new album and tour, Harrison says that each of Porcupine Tree’s members have been busy at work on their own separate efforts. Harrison, for instance, is touring in 2013 with 05Ric, as well as November/December. More than the desire to do their own separate things, though, this time away was meant to recharge after a lengthy and exhaustive tour, says Harrison, also a late-period member of King Crimson.

“When we went on the last tour,” he says, “we went on tour for 14 months. That’s a long time to be together. We felt, at the end of a 14 month tour, that we had to take a break. It would be unhealthy for Porcupine Tree if, at the end of the last tour, we went straight into the studio. It would be a good situation personally; it wouldn’t be a good situation musically.”

From Harrison’s point of view, all of this outside activity — rather than signalling the end — will actually serve to reanimate the band’s collective imaginations when Porcupine Tree finally does reconvene.

“I think the music you write is a reflection of your experiences in life, and we needed time to out and experience a bit more life to make the next Porcupine Tree album really good,” he says. “We want it to be something really new — and really high quality — so it takes time. Probably, it’s going to be a very different-sounding record, which is what we want.”

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/06 ... ut-things/
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I was reading that Steven is doing some East Coast shows here in Oz later in the year as well...
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Edin - I hadn't seen either of those interviews, so thanks for posting. Great to hear confirmation from Gavin of what we were hoping re: PT. Can't wait.

I have not had a chance to hear any of Steven's recent remix work, but I'm looking forward to it.

@ HB - Go. Seriously, they put on an amazing show. Even if you're not thrilled with the albums, I bet you'll love it.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy wrote:I was reading that Steven is doing some East Coast shows here in Oz later in the year as well...
why yes they are... just read it here:

http://www.metropolistouring.com/curren ... _tour.html

in town on my anniversary, too... that was easy!
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Kittaan wrote:
@ HB - Go. Seriously, they put on an amazing show. Even if you're not thrilled with the albums, I bet you'll love it.
If he were coming to Adelaide I'd think about it, but no chance I'm travelling interstate to see him.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy wrote:
Kittaan wrote:
If he were coming to Adelaide I'd think about it, but no chance I'm travelling interstate to see him.
Yeah, I get that. I would do it for him but not for other bands I only had a passing interest in. Hope you get to see him or PT someday in the ADL.