Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson - All Things Related Thread

Music in all its forms and styles
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Re: Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson - All Things Related Thr

Post by petemasterpete »

petemasterpete wrote:
hellboy wrote:I was reading that Steven is doing some East Coast shows here in Oz later in the year as well...
why yes they are... just read it here:

http://www.metropolistouring.com/curren ... _tour.html

in town on my anniversary, too... that was easy!
Yup ... Tix got ... Happy days, Love ...

Although, i couldn't find a reason to buy some VIP meet and greet shit

Now to find a sitter for a Wednesday eve ... HB, come eyeball my rugrats
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

petemasterpete wrote:
Now to find a sitter for a Wednesday eve ... HB, come eyeball my rugrats
Fly me out there and I'll happily babysit.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Steven Wilson Puts Projects Aside To Work On Yes, XTC Remasters

[BBvideo 560,340]http://www.noise11.com/vinterviews/steven-wilson[/BBvideo]
Video won't embed because it's only on their site, but click above.
“Historically Porcupine Tree was one of several things I started to do at the beginning of my career,” Steven tells Noise11.com. “It was the one that just happened to take off. Porcupine Tree I did for 15 years and I want to work with different people but that doesn’t mean Porcupine Tree won’t still do something else together again. My answer is there is no bad news but there is no good news either right now. We’ll see”.
Nothing really new, but for those that care, enjoy.
Ki77aan :twisted:
edin
My pain is just an excuse

Post by edin »

Thanks for that update Kittaan
edin

Post by edin »

Hey guys,
I thought I'd revive this thread with a rare classic performance of Porcupine Tree on Italian TV Show HELP that I uploaded in HD (its vhs copied though). Extremely interesting, great performance, a treasure to any Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson fan. Richard was shown a great amount of attention by the douche bag host. At this time, Richard had the most profile in the band due to his last band Japan that had achieved decent success before breaking up. Three Japan music videos were played much to Richard's annoyance. I had to cut all three of the music videos out because I had copyright disputes every time I tried posting. Everything involving Porcupine Tree is shown. I personally love this video. Enjoy.

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Speaking of Steven Wilson, Guthrie Govan is coming to town later this year for a solo show. Thinking about hitting it up if the price is right....
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Hey Edin, nice to see you around. I'll check that clip when I get a chance. Not sure I've seen it.

@ HB - I wouldn't miss him. One of the most interesting players alive. Truly solo, or with his own band?
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Come back please..
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Finally watching the Italian show Edin posted above

Damn, that host is a complete douche. He could have been the basis of Bill Hader's annoying Italian host character from SNL.

The performances are excellent. How fucking young they are. Also cool to see Chris on the drums. He was great.

Thanks, Edin.
edin

Post by edin »

Hello everyone,

Wow this thread has been deader then dead for a long time. I thought it should be resurrected considering Steven Wilson is releasing the new album Hand Cannot Erase in less than a few weeks.

What does everyone think?

Has anyone listened to the title-track? I have. It's very different then what I expected but I do like that one a lot.

As for Perfect Life, has anyone watched the video or heard it? This one I'm struggling with. The video is just like what some people are calling "a tampon commercial" and really, my 14-year-old cousin could have made that video easily. As for the song itself, I really so far have not gotten into it. The spoken word at the beginning is odd even with the electronic drums which aren't bad but I can't get myself to like how he repeats that one and only line over and over until the end.

So far, there has been a lot of complaints among the Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson community about the sound of the new album. I'm sure I'll like it but this Perfect Life track has to fit into a bigger picture. Insurgentes, Grace For Drowning and TRtRtS were amazing albums and I hope this one is just as good.

What does everyone think and is anyone going to any of the shows?

I already have tickets to three shows and those are the two Chicago shows and the Madison show which by the way is only a few miles from my apartment. I have to say and I've told a lot of people about this but neither Steven nor Porcupine Tree has ever played in Madison but I messaged Steven a while back saying that I know of a perfect venue for him to play at in Wisconsin's capitol — The Barrymore Theatre and look what happened. The American tour dates finally showed up and on that list I saw The Barrymore Theatre. I seriously almost fainted. Coincidence? I think not. I also will be going to the Minneapolis show but haven't bought tickets yet.

I hope to see a lot of the originals back on this thread especially Kittan.

Here's a link to buy the album in the Deluxe Edition, Blu-Ray, Media Book, regular CD or vinyl.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/

Did anyone get the Deluxe Edition? I did and the vinyl and CD.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Hey Edin. Thanks for the shout out.

I am really looking forward to hearing the entire new album (not hugely impressed with those two released tracks, but the snips from the promos sound amazing). He mentions 3 long progressive tracks, which is more my speed... His band is so fucking tight, and they play together to perfection. I have been jonseing to see SW live again for coming on 2 years now... and it just so happens that he decided to come to SF right AFTER I leave for Europe in the summer. Couldn't be more bummed that I'll miss my chance to see this live, as I have no doubt it will kick ass.

Glad you'll have multiple chances and I want a full review.

Hope all is well man.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Edin: If you're still out there, I am waiting for a review from at least one of the SW shows you hit!!!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

new Steven Wilson album “4 ½”: 22nd January

so titled because it forms an interim release between Steven’s recently released fourth album Hand. Cannot. Erase. and the next studio album.
4 ½ comprises 6 tracks with a total running time of 37 minutes. 4 of the songs originated during the sessions for Hand. Cannot. Erase., and one from the recording sessions for the previous album The Raven that Refused to Sing. The final track is a version of Don’t Hate Me, a song originally recorded by Porcupine Tree in 1998, and is based on a live recording made on the recent tour of Europe with additional recording later done in the studio. The vocals on this new version are sung as a duet between Steven and Ninet Tayeb.

Also appearing on the album are members of Steven’s band over the last few years; Adam Holzman, Nick Beggs, Guthrie Govan (Official), Dave Kilminster, Craig Blundell, Marco Minnemann, Chad Wackerman, and Theo Travis.

1. My Book of Regrets (9.23)
2. Year of the Plague (4.15)
3. Happiness III (4.31)
4. Sunday Rain Sets In (3.50)
5. Vermillioncore (5.09)
6. Don’t Hate Me (9.34)
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

Listened to and watched this a few times this afternoon... Steve Wilson is masterful....

[youtube][/youtube]
Be good to each other.
edin

Post by edin »

Hey Kittaan and everyone else! My sincere apologies for not getting on here to post! I was just under the impression this thread was dead and haven't been looking for it. I haven't been coming much to fourtheye as I once did but it is still the best for Tool updates.

So the 4 shows I went to were of course AMAZING! I'm so glad I went to all four but especially his first stop in my current city, Madison WI. The sound was so good and VIP tickets had us in the front row. The two nights in Chicago were great as well as it was the debut of new material which was great. The first show I went to was in Chicago and the best of part of that show was being able to see one my favorite songs played live which I never thought I'd be lucky enough to see - TRAINS!!! He played it during the encore and it was brilliant. Some other specials he played was How Is Your Life Today? He also played Thank you which really wasn't my favorite but Lazarus was played as well and that was great. The Barrymore Theatre is Madison is a quaint theater where I was lucky enough to be standing right under Nick Beggs. I've been thinking about how I wish he'd keep the Porcupine Tree song strictly for when Richard, Colin and Gavin are on stage with him (the later ones least) just because there are other solo songs that I'd love to hear that could fill the set. Salvaging?

Most special of all (and this was very special, perhaps the best experience of my life) — we stayed in this hotel roughly a mile away from the Park West theatre in Chicago and only for one night as we planned on just driving home after the second show. So the morning after the second show, we were walking out of the hotel, with our hands FULL of bags. My shoulder was seriously hurting. We were about to reach this corner and my friends were a few feet behind me, when all of sudden right in front of me, crossing paths and turning left to cross the street was a familiar character. My mind buzzed, my heart raced, my hands shook - IT WAS STEVEN WILSON!!! There is Steven Wilson on his morning stroll, headphones on and newspaper in his hand. I was completely awe struck for seconds as I nudged my friend and asked if we should say anything or ask for a photo and we both agreed this was fate giving us a seriously precious opportunity to have a chat with the genius himself, so yes! A split second later here I am racing down the street like line backer with arms full of luggage shouting STEVEN!!!! (who had headphones on at the time). It felt like it took forever to catch up to him but when I did I was waving my hand to the side of him, trying to get his attention. He sees me out of the corner of his eyes and lifts one headphone speaker off his left ear and says "Sorry what?" I was like I AM A FAN! He sees my shirt and takes his headphones off, turns around and realizes we are fans.

I was seriously speechless. Never in my life did I ever imagine I'd have any opportunity to talk to the man himself ALONE! No other fans around besides a couple fans. I was saying a million things at once, he said something like "oh you're out of breath okay" and basically I asked for a photo and he said "of course" and gave us some of the best pictures ever, no people behind us, perfect lighting, pretty bushes in the background - just an awesome photo. So he ended up signing my Insurgentes 4 x 10 in silver and Grace for Drowning Deluxe in gold! I had markers with me, a vinyl bag with a bunch of deluxe editions in it and a book I've always wanted to give him because I think it's totally up his ally and reminds me so much of his style and interest plus his themes and elements in his music — my favorite book ever — House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. He looked at it for a few minutes and turned to me and said "it looks like a work of art!" In the first few pages, I had written a message to him about how much his music means to me, who I am, etc. I also told him how much I love his music and that it is an honor and shook his hand. I told him I'd be at the next three shows. After that, he waved and said goodbye.

WHAT WERE THE CHANCES OF THAT! We were so buzzed for the rest of the day and couldn't stop talking about it. It was like fate. I don't like posting photos of myself on the internet and I look pretty flustered in this great picture but here is the photo that we took during this encounter. I love how Steven looks with his headphones and new glasses!

What else? The Minneapolis show took place in a very small theatre and Steven Wilson commented it was the first standing show of the tour. I brought my mom! She had tears in her eyes during Happy Returns. I think many others did as well.

A lot of people were saying during the American tour how much they missed Guthrie and Marco but I really enjoyed Dave Kilminster and Craig Blundell. They were both awesome! I honestly thought Craig was more powerful then Marco from what I saw.

The best song I think was probably Index, it was a reworked version but I also got more chills during Ancestral.

There’s probably more but this puts it in a good summary. Ultimately, the cosmic coincidence of running into Steven Wilson was the best part of all. I’ll never forget what a kind, sweet, caring guy he is for the fans. Tool on the other hand, not so much. This is part of why I’ve made the decision not to get VIP. $500 for that is just too much. I’d rather find something on stub hub for half of that. Not to mention while I was in the middle of writing this, I just saw Steven Wilson is coming back to the USA and playing in Chicago two nights again! Not getting the VIPs will give me enough money to be set for those two nights! There’s no way I’d miss Steven Wilson 2 hours away!

They go on sale tomorrow (as well as the Tool tickets, LOL!), I’ll have enough money to buy both if I don’t get the VIPs which don’t even say if there is better seating included. It’s a much better decision. I saw Puscifer VIP style in 2012 I think and that was only $250! I’m very disappointed with a lot of things associated with the Tool world, everything that’s been associated with them lately isn’t showing any sort of genuine acknowledgement that they have fans who are human — just everything and I’m sure many people would agree with that. They’re still my favorite but it’s one of the reasons I haven’t been listening to Tool much and wondering if a new album will ever exist.

Anyone else going to anymore Tool shows or gone to any Steven Wilson shows? How have you been doing Kittaan and I apologize this took so long.

The Routine video is nothing short of genius. Reminds me of James and the Giant Peach. Maybe Ninet will be at shows.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Awesome review, Edin. Very jealous you got to see four shows, and that's a cool experience you had with SW. I've spoken with him briefly after gigs and he's quite mellow and seems genuinely happy to chat with fans.

I have a buddy who saw them in CO and LA, said the shows were amazing. You know Kilminster has toured with Roger Waters for years, right? He's amazing. Still love Guthrie more, but that's just preference.

Looking forward to hearing 4 1/2. Extremely bummed the closest he's coming to me for that tour is Chicago. I don't think I can swing a trip to Chicago in March... I'm gutted to miss him twice.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

New Steven Wilson album “4 ½” is out (a couple weeks ago, actually). It's pleasant, quite good really, but not his most interesting work IMO. Fair enough, as it's comprised of material that didn't make his last release...

The highlight for me, so far, is the remake of Porcupine Tree's "Don't Hate Me". Really excellent reworking of that tune. Features the female vocalist he used on Hand Cannot Erase, Ninet Tayeb who I dig.

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/new-steven ... uary-2016/
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

Kittaan wrote:New Steven Wilson album “4 ½” is out (a couple weeks ago, actually). It's pleasant, quite good really, but not his most interesting work IMO. Fair enough, as it's comprised of material that didn't make his last release...

The highlight for me, so far, is the remake of Porcupine Tree's "Don't Hate Me". Really excellent reworking of that tune. Features the female vocalist he used on Hand Cannot Erase, Ninet Tayeb who I dig.

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/new-steven ... uary-2016/
Hand.Cannot.Erase is easily my least favorite S. Wilson release I can think of ... not sure what the deal is. I gave it a lot of time off and went back to it a couple times before 4 1/2 was released and it's just boring to me. I initially wasn't too keen on 'Raven', but it grew with time and seeing it live changed everything.

4 1/2 is also fairly bland with regard to his typically top notch output. In both instances, the musicianship and production quality are top notch, but I'm not really feeling it and unlike Raven, I don't see it changing this time around as I'd likely not pay to see a Hand-4 1/2 heavy set.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Wow, PmP was the last to post in this thread? Whatever became of Petey?

Steven Wilson in SF tonight (last night?) was superb. A really nice mix of songs from his career, with a decent amount of PTree included. Excellent sound, lighting and vid. Killer show. I hope some of you are hitting this up as it rolls through the US. LA on Saturday apparently.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Pete still posts in the Fourtheye slack occasionally

He was just there last night.
Don't mow your lawn
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Tell him I said Hi.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

No
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Loulz
Hey! Denty!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Re: Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson - All Things Related Thread

Post by Kittaan »

Damn. It’s been awhile, huh

New Porcupine Tree single just dropped today. Full album June 2022. Killer, IMO. Especially the drumming. Gavin Harrison is right up there with Danny as one of the all time great progressive rock drummers. Just saw him with King Crimson, and he steals the show every time.

https://porcupinetree.com
bob
Toast

Re: Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson - All Things Related Thread

Post by bob »

a friend of mine likes those guys quite a bit. i never overly got into them but Richard Barbieri is in them and he was in 'Japan' once upon a time so thats pretty cool. i'll have to check this out.