Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson - All Things Related Thread

Music in all its forms and styles
edin
My pain is just an excuse

Post by edin »

Indeed that is a great interview, Kitaan. Thanks.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Raven is winging its way to me from the UK as we speak.

Can't wait.  Not sure if it leaked, but glad I haven't checked.

The following items have been sent:

1 x Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) (Deluxe box set - 2CD - DVD-V and Blu-ray)

www.burningshed.com
Ki77aan :twisted:
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Kittaan said
Raven is winging its way to me from the UK as we speak.

Can't wait.  Not sure if it leaked, but glad I haven't checked.

The following items have been sent:

1 x Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) (Deluxe box set - 2CD - DVD-V and Blu-ray)

www.burningshed.com

I really hope this gets released digitally as well.  His last album was so I can't imagine Raven wouldn't also.
edin

Post by edin »

JUST ANNOUNCED

FLAC download of the Raven available in 10 minutes!

https://www.burningshed.com/newsletters ... -2013.html

My deluxe edition and vinyl isn't due to arrive until the 27th so I'm rushing home to download this! Glad Steven approved a download for this early!  

Is that what you were hoping for mogeffingmog?

Hope it is 24 bit
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Edin - saw that too, but they say "Saturday, Feb 22"  I think they meant the 23rd.

Also, I doubt they will offer it for free to those who bought the deluxe edition (but they should!) and I'm not paying any additional dirty dollars... I'll make my own FLAC if I feel the need.  

I have resisted finding this online anywhere and am super stoked to hear it for the first time when it finally gets here.  Mine should be here on the 26th or 27th as well...  Definitely post your thoughts.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Kittaan said
@ Edin - saw that too, but they say "Saturday, Feb 22"  I think they meant the 23rd.

Also, I doubt they will offer it for free to those who bought the deluxe edition (but they should!) and I'm not paying any additional dirty dollars... I'll make my own FLAC if I feel the need.  

I have resisted finding this online anywhere and am super stoked to hear it for the first time when it finally gets here.  Mine should be here on the 26th or 27th as well...  Definitely post your thoughts.

mostly 'YAWN'... but you'll prolly appreciate it more than I do
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
edin

Post by edin »

Eh nevermind I guess they do mean tonight. 

I like the downloads from the Burning Shed store even though I do rip my own FLAC with EAC. It's on this invite-only torrent website I'm a member of called what.cd in all formats including blu-ray FLAC, 320, VO, but I've lost my downloading privileges. That website is the holy grail of torrent websites. I really wish I could download on there, I'm around 20 GB in the hole. It'a going to take some effort to get it back. A fellow Fourtheye member invited me but never really explained the rules of seeding and all. 
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

edin said
Eh nevermind I guess they do mean tonight. 

I like the downloads from the Burning Shed store even though I do rip my own FLAC with EAC. It's on this invite-only torrent website I'm a member of called what.cd in all formats including blu-ray FLAC, 320, VO, but I've lost my downloading privileges. That website is the holy grail of torrent websites. I really wish I could download on there, I'm around 20 GB in the hole. It'a going to take some effort to get it back. A fellow Fourtheye member invited me but never really explained the rules of seeding and all. 

What.cd is by far the hardest private torrent tracker I use to get a decent ratio on.  That said, once you nail the correct network settings and such on your torrent PC, it is possible to get a decent ratio if you are conservative with what you download.  The FAQs on the site explain how to do this better than I could.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

petemasterpete said

mostly 'YAWN'... but you'll prolly appreciate it more than I do

Undoubtedly I will, Petey.  We diverge pretty strongly in places.  But we intersect much more than HB and I do...

@ Edin - you are hardcore!  Well, enjoy.
Davvda

Post by Davvda »

The new album didn't impress me the slightest at first listen but I can happily say that it has now grown on me. It doesn't feel as complete as Grace for Drowning but is a perfectly solid release by Steven.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Davvda - are you a fan of early Yes/Genesis/Gentle Giant, that school of prog?  When I heard Luminol for the first time live last year I was completely blown away by the scope of that song, and how they nailed it (of course, having never heard it before, I'm not sure they played it note-for-note, but it definitely sounded incredibly tight and complex)  I may be getting my hopes up too high from having only that song to go by... hopefully not.

Hopefully Guthrie Govan will be touring the Europe dates as well, because he is a treat live.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Just bought the album in 24bit FLAC.  Had to convert to 16bit FLAC since my fucking MP3 player doesn't support 24bit FLAC.  Still sounds absolutely fucking incredible with my Sennheiser HD 280s.  Stunningly good album.
Davvda

Post by Davvda »

@Kittaan - Depends on how you define fan but yes, I definitely like that type of music and have heard all three bands you mentioned. When I heard Luminol live my memory shows it as a much more distortion heavy song which was not the case but I love how this album had such a huge jazz fusion element to it. Really struck the right nerve. Before hearing the album I read somewhere that it was a lot like the later half of King Crimson's discography which frightened me because I can't stand any KC release after Red but this really surprised me.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

On my third pass of Raven - tore open the package when it arrived today - It's excellent.  

Very dynamic work.  Lots of hills and valleys, but cohesive, and most definitely Steven Wilson.

Dig the deluxe booklet as well.  Have yet to really give it proper attention, but looking forward to that and the extras.

Can't wait for the May show in SF.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

On my 8th pass now and this is no doubt a fucking classic.  Such stellar work, yet again, from Steven and his band.  I miss Porcupine Tree and sincerely hope they get their shit together for more albums and tours, but really pleased with Steven's solo work.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Kittaan said
On my 8th pass now and this is no doubt a fucking classic.  Such stellar work, yet again, from Steven and his band.  I miss Porcupine Tree and sincerely hope they get their shit together for more albums and tours, but really pleased with Steven's solo work.

^ This.  Not quite as good as Grace for Drowning, but excellent none the less.  The Raven that Refused to Sing is such a good song.  Definitely my favorite off the album.  Everything fits together so perfectly.  Honestly at this point I prefer Steven Wilson as a solo artist.  I feel like he can cover more ground from both a musical and creativity stand point with his own projects.  And unlike some other artists who shall remain nameless,  Steven has the ability to create solo albums as good as anything he has done with Porcupine Tree.
edin

Post by edin »

I love The Raven That Refused to Sing.

This album really stands out in it's atmosphere, the musical journeys of the past thrown into a ghostly atmosphere, like the ghost of musics past put into an album. You can tell Steven tried to make it as classy as possible. I love how they only used old vintage instruments for this whole album. As owner of an 81 burst (ya I know call me an Adam slave) I really find myself wondering if the guy who previously owned it (now dead) still haunts it because he loved it so much, or how many other owners there wre and where they are now. I don't know. I'm drunk but it kind of wen't with that interview I posted where Steven talked about the metaphor for a ghost and I think that's sort of where he was going with album, kind of capturing a ghost on an album by using vintage instruments, hiring Alan Parsons who supposedly used the same unique and old-fashioned recording techniques for this. It's a very unique album. Not even on the right grounds to compare to Grace For Drowning. I'm sure I will love it even more in the months and years to come. It's really growing on me. Despite the appearence of the King Crimson mellotron, I can't agree with anyone who says he's trying to be Frip. I think this is a classic album and it will stand the test of time. The Deluxe Book is gorgeous inside and out and I hope Steven keeps doing this with his solo releases. Chicago and Minneapolis in 2 months! I'm excited for the shows too! I really hope we do hear a lot of Grace For Drowning and Insurg too though as I missed the previous ones!

Also added these long searched-for bootlegs to my steven collection recently and these are like treasure to me:

(all unplugged)

03/09/05  The Middle East, Boston, MA (SW solo gig)
03/10/05  The Canal Room, NYC (SW solo gig)
03/12/05  Grape Street Pub, Philadelphia, PA (SW solo gig)
03/14/05  Iota Club, Arlingyon, VA (SW solo gig)
Above 4 shows SW opened for "unplugged" Blackfield 

If anyone wants these or more let me know. I also have like 200+ PT/Steven bootlegs. It was great to hear some live Cover Version performances on these.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

^ Edin is all kinds of dedicated.

Who said Wilson was trying to be Fripp?  That's dumb.  Raven sounds nothing like KC.  Christ anyone does anything Progressive and they are automatically trying to be KC.

Wilson is playing in a number of different genres.  Jazz/Fusion, Prog Rock, Classic Rock, etc.  He melds genres together masterfully.

Raven is fantastic.  It is incredibly well produced.  Steven Wilson is all class.  A professional musician who obviously loves making music. I am just glad he has reached a level of financial stability.  I don't imagine he will ever get rich off his music, nor do I think he is the kind of person that cares.  But he is certainly not in obscurity at this point in his career.
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

Just ordered The Raven That Refused to Sing.

Never heard of SW till I saw it here.The samples sounded excellent,can't wait to hear it with better sound quality.If it's as good as I think it will be I definately will be picking up some more of his work.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Eyepod - Cool, I think you'll dig it.  Regarding sound quality, SW is also very highly regarded in terms of production and engineering pristine sound.  This is his third solo album, the other two are great as well.  Are you also unfamiliar with Porcupine Tree?  Let me know if you want some recommendations.

@ Edin - very cool.  Yeah, I'm definitely interested in hearing those solo shows.  Wasn't even aware of them, and Steven is notoriously squirelly about boots so it's been hard to find them lately.  The PM function here sucks dawg balls but I'll try.

@ Moggie - I don't think you ever answered - are you hitting an SW gig on this tour?  If not, slap yourself for me!
edin

Post by edin »

Damn, my last post was pretty dribbled. Just ignore it as Tom Waits said, the cat had been drinking.

mogeffingmog - You should see my Tool collection! lol I'm only half way through collecting all of Steven's and Porcupine Tree's stuff...But I'm not the only one, I know two other guys who have collected everything they ever put out including the super rare Love, Death, and Mouslini tape, the Tarquins Seaweed Farm tape, and the Nostalgia Factory tape, - things I doubt I'll ever have. But everything Steven releases is just so cool to me. It flows so well in vinyl quality. And Tool's but mostly vinyls and such. I recently added the white Unreleased Electronic Music vinyl to my collection. Only have one IEM vinyl and I try to buy everything sealed with sticker but that's hard. Collecting the Cover Version vinyls both large hole and small hole, need cover version II large hole yet sealed. I also have the box but need 4 other CDs and I really don't collect the CDs.

Which by the way, if you guys didn't notice, the guy who made the sketches for the Cover Version box set was Hajo Mueller who is responsible for pretty much all of the art in the Raven releases. The sketches inside the box set are very unique and much like the Raven. I'm glad Steven switched it up not using Lasse for once, but Lasse is awesome! Really wish I would've ordered one more Raven Deluxe from Burning Shed to keep sealed as an artifact and then 40 years later its like gold. That's what I'm doing with Insurgentes. Good stuff. And I read all the time on twitter and other places that Steven has been doing Fripp's style since Fear of the Black Planet and now it's gone to far with the Raven or something on twitter and other places I know I agree its bullshit. Steven has been working with Fripp since the early No-Man days. Also, if you read up ^ someone said something about steven wearing his influences on his sleeve and gave us a little fill-in-the-blank that suggested that.

SPEAKING OF WHICH, I'm glad this thread is becoming more fan-oriented. At first it was kind of like "post here what you don't like about Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree and why this or that album sucked and if or why you're not a fan, etc."-ish kinda. I thought I remember more people responding before the forum change but it looks like we're starting to build a little.

Kitaan - I'll try messaging you if not could I post links for direct downloads on this thread? Then others on this thread could download them too. Wouldn't take up much space on here at all. mp3/320 Not sure why Steven doesn't like live bootlegs. But I have other things not just bootlegs that I think fans deserve. Do you have Steven's first bands albums Karma and Altamont? Very rare stuff. I have a 12 minute version of Nine Cats from 1983, Steven was 15 I think.

eyepod - I definitely recommend you check out Insurgentes and Grace For Drowning as well. Let us know what you think!

First show of the tour tomorrow! Eager to see the setlist but we don't post spoilers correct?
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

@ Edin - Hellboy has asked that we not post any direct links to stuff like that.  YouTube and similar is fine.

I have many Gigs of PT and SW + solo projects, but it sounds like you're far ahead of me. 

Yep, no spoilers, or at least just link to it, and label it clearly.  I'll be checking myself, but others might want to be surprised.

Have you seen this footage of Porcupine (in a) Tree, in Edinburgh? 8`)   

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Kittaan said
@ Edin - Hellboy has asked that we not post any direct links to stuff like that.  YouTube and similar is fine.

I have many Gigs of PT and SW + solo projects, but it sounds like you're far ahead of me. 

Yep, no spoilers, or at least just link to it, and label it clearly.  I'll be checking myself, but others might want to be surprised.

Have you seen this footage of Porcupine (in a) Tree, in Edinburgh? 8`)   

Have you ever seen goats in a tree?

Don't mow your lawn
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Kittaan said
@ Moggie - I don't think you ever answered - are you hitting an SW gig on this tour?  If not, slap yourself for me!

Yes sir I shall be attending the show in DC and am thoroughly stoked about it. 
eyepod
of Arimathea

Post by eyepod »

Thanks for the suggestions,unfortunately it looks like I won't have the CD by the weekend.Bummer.

I am not familiar with PT,but they have been around a little while,maybe I have heard some and didnt know who it was.

I definately will be picking up some though.Preferably on vinyl.