Converge + Old Man Gloom 13-Feb-2013 @ Fowlers Live

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Headed out last night to catch Converge and Old Man Glood playing at the Fowlers Live venue here in Adelaide.  Due to parking issues I missed the support band (who I won't bother mentioning - Liz assured me they were awful) and the first 5 minutes of the Old Man Gloom set.  Fowlers has a reputation for starting gigs super early on a week night, and my arrival time of 8:20 was clearly a little late 

First thing I noticed was that the sound was pretty average for Old Man Gloom.  I wasn't really digging them for the first couple of songs I saw, but got into it more and more as the set went on.  And it wasn't a short set either - even though they were the support act, the only difference in set length compared to Converge was the lack on en encore.  It was a good 45 minutes, which will no doubt please those who would see these guys as the highlight of the night.

Had a chat with Liz once the set finished - she seemed to think some songs dragged on a bit.  I disagreed, but there we go.  We were enjoying a beer, expecting there to be 20 minutes until Converge came on, but the change over was pretty minimal and they hit the stage barely even 10 minutes after Old Man Gloom walked off.

Once again the sound was pretty average - I wish they'd actually spent a bit more time doing a sound check (though I imagine they did one pre-gig).  Still, it was a good show, energy levels were high on stage, and even though the crowd wasn't great, the certainly gave us their all.

Overall, it was a good show, marred by the obvious sound problems.  Fowlers has a reputation of having hit and miss sound at gigs, and sadly tonight was one of those nights.  Seems to be a venue that challenges sound guys to really be on their game, as some have no problems nailing a decent sound, while others just can't make it work.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Lucky fucker.  Both good bands.  Especially Old Man Gloom.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Here's a blurry pic:

UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

It's only slightly blurry.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

UndKeineEier said
It's only slightly blurry.

Can't please everyone
Lizbet
Bronco's Fan

Post by Lizbet »

Yep Old man Gloom were a little too gloomy for me. They had some really cool bits but they stretched them out too far with long passages of not much in between. Converge on the other hand I really enjoyed. Sound quality certainly was an issue and it would have been so much better to have heard more sharply what they were all doing but it was very good meaty heavy stuff.

Hellboy gets zero points for suggesting where I should stand . I nearly got knocked of my feet three times (after the first time I decided it was best not to close my eyes) but then again he was the one that ended up with a beer soaked t-shirt.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Welcome back ^
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Lizbet said
Yep Old man Gloom were a little too gloomy for me. They had some really cool bits but they stretched them out too far with long passages of not much in between. Converge on the other hand I really enjoyed. Sound quality certainly was an issue and it would have been so much better to have heard more sharply what they were all doing but it was very good meaty heavy stuff.

Hellboy gets zero points for suggesting where I should stand . I nearly got knocked of my feet three times (after the first time I decided it was best not to close my eyes) but then again he was the one that ended up with a beer soaked t-shirt.

I read that as They had some really cool tits.
Don't mow your lawn