Tomahawk, 27 Feb 2013 at Billboard, Melbourne

petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

way behind on this but in retrospect thought the gig was surely worth a review, even in retrospect:

Billboard is a decent small-ish venue.  I was last there for Gojira/Mastodon.  The sound was good and that didn't change; really solid for a venue of the type and size.  It was quite easy to move around to different positions so I started by the sound board, roamed a bit and ended up at the stage by the time the show was settling into it's last 5 tunes or so.

All players were spot on and Mike was his 'usual' self if you consider usual to be his varying stage personas respective of which ever outfit he's wearing.  His humour never gets lost, though.  I've seen him with 4 different acts in the last 4 years or so and it's always fun to watch him flip-flop.  He seems to be able to sway from suave, respectful conductor in a full white tux to maniacal, "I'm gonna piss on the front row" clownishness with ease.

Mix was solid all night and the setlist was essentially perfect from start to finish. Beginning with MayDay and ending with Totem from Anonymous (excluding the second encore cover).  It was the only Anonymous track sadly, but beggars can't be choosers and I appreciated it's inclusion as much as any other track. The 'Oddfellows' tracks, many of which I'm still not entirely sold on, came across surprisingly well on the night and seemed to fit right into place.

Vid/Setlist: 

Mayday 
Flashback 
Oddfellows  
101 North  
Stone Letter 
Birdsong 
Rape This Day 
Baby Let's Play ____
Capt. Midnight 
White Hats / Black Hats 
I.O.U.