Dillinger Escape Plan - Hi-Fi Melbourne 27 Feb 2014

petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Dillinger Escape Plan - Hi-Fi Melbourne 27 Feb 2014

Post by petemasterpete »

Got in just in time to check out Glassjaw, who I'd not seen since I was in my teens and they were opening for Deftones back in the days of free demo cassettes. I don't necessarily dislike them, but have never found them personally appealing on any serious level. They played a good selection of fan favorites in their near hour long set with the highlight for me being 'you think you're John Fucking Lennon'. Mostly, they have hints of really great potential immediately followed by absolute mediocrity. If you appreciate tunes with an obvious Bad Brains influence mixed with a bit of the demo-era/pre-adrenaline Chino vox style, then you'd likely be a fan. To really sum them up, I'd say they are forever a decent opening act, but not true headliner quality.

a quick smoke/drink break and back to the mixing desk we went with a few minutes to spare before Dillinger took the stage. And by took, I mean took it, owned it, and fucking destroyed it. Quite honestly, there are few bands that own a set the way these guys do these days. There are very few current bands I can think of on their level in a live setting. They are the rock 'n' roll band you imagine/remember when/if you were a 9 or 10 year old kid growing up and G'n'R were dangerous during the 'Appetite' days to the power of 10. The sound was damn good in there on the night; loud and clear. Not Melvins' last gig loud, but fucking riotous none the less.

They don't whimper there way into the gig either, hammering out the heavy riffage that is 'Prancer' with little regard for allowing the crowd to warn up to them. Greg was spot on this night with great heavy vox and clean vox were nearly crystal even whilst diving into and singing atop the crowd on numerous occasions. Ben deserves every bit of credit he get as a musician (and deserves more if you don't give it up), capable of playing flawlessly while recklessly rampaging around the venue, destroying himself and anything else that happens to be in the general vicinity. And Billy Rymer is one bad ass drummer. For my money, especially having just seen it live, 'When I Lost My Bet' may be the single best drum performance of the last 5-7 years.

The more obvious highlights for me were Milk Lizard, Hero of the Soviet Union, and Crossburner, all songs on my wish list going in to the night. There was literally no drop off throughout the set with every track delivering. The encore was also a fantastic surprise for me, with the Aphex Twin cover 'Come to Daddy' leading into a pretty wild, extended version of '43% Burnt' tha tsaw them walking off without much more than a snare drum and high-hat left in tact.

All in all, it was likely the best pure metal show I've seen since Ministry/Meshuggah in NYC, circa 2008, just before I moved to Oz. Any of you fuckwits that think they're just noise or bathroom break material seriously need your head examined or belong at a Taylor Swift concert because you obviously do not know rock 'n' roll. I wanna go see them again tonite!

Here's the full set list:

Prancer
Farewell, Mona Lisa
Milk Lizard
Panasonic Youth
Room Full of Eyes
Gold Teeth on a Bum
Hero of the Soviet Union
Nothing's Funny
One of Us Is the Killer
Crossburner
Good Neighbor
When I Lost My Bet
Encore:
Come to Daddy
43% Burnt
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Re: Dillinger Escape Plan - Hi-Fi Melbourne 27 Feb 2014

Post by not tyson »

Where's my video?
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Wow. Amazing how different we see music in some ways, despite having some band appreciation in common. Our Venn diagram of music is quite narrow it seems...

I remember seeing these guys open for Mastodon a couple of years ago in SF and it couldn't have been over soon enough for me. They were so over the top baaaad. Wannabe wankers, but without the chops to pull it off. The front man was a parody of himself and the writing was pathetic. To top it all off, Patton comes out to scream a tune and it got even worse! I would never go see them again.

Thanks for allowing me to shit all over your experience. Kisses.
Ki77aan :twisted:
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

Not Tyson wrote:Where's my video?
sorry man ... couldn't be fucked in all actuality ... show was too good to to spend even a minute looking at a 2" 3 megapix screen
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

Kittaan wrote:Wow. Amazing how different we see music in some ways, despite having some band appreciation in common. Our Venn diagram of music is quite narrow it seems...

I remember seeing these guys open for Mastodon a couple of years ago in SF and it couldn't have been over soon enough for me. They were so over the top baaaad. Wannabe wankers, but without the chops to pull it off. The front man was a parody of himself and the writing was pathetic. To top it all off, Patton comes out to scream a tune and it got even worse! I would never go see them again.

your Venn diagram seems in need of some actual logic in order to redistribute your overlap of complete suck. And yes, they are over the top ... and yes, I fucking love the shit out of it ... I think you're too old and brainwashed by jazz fusion, which for all intents and purposes, is the exact definition of wannabe wankers personified ... for the record, mastodon is really not that good live and their vox are atrocious ...

oh by the way, ma'am ... pardon for just a second, I'm sorry to be the one to break this too you, but it would appear there's shit all over and in between your ears ... cockhole
Last edited by petemasterpete on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

petemasterpete wrote:
Kittaan wrote:Wow. Amazing how different we see music in some ways, despite having some band appreciation in common. Our Venn diagram of music is quite narrow it seems...

your Venn diagram seems in need of some actual logic in order to redistribute your overlap of complete suck. And yes, they are over the top ... and yes, I fucking love the shit out of it ... I think you're too old and brainwashed by jazz fusion, which for all intents and purposes, is the exact definition of wannabe wankers personified ... for the record, mastodon is really not that good live and their vox are atrocious ...

oh by the way, ma'am ... pardon for just a second, I'm sorry to be the one to break this too you, but it would appear there's shit all over and in between your ears ... cockhole
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Good response. Apparently you thought so too, quoting yourself and all... Thanks.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

Kittaan wrote:Good response. Apparently you thought so too, quoting yourself and all... Thanks.
WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN EDIT, BUT I'VE GOT ABOUT 20 THINGS GOING ON AT THE SAME TIME AT THE MOMENT ... CAN'T WIN THEM ALL ... LEST YOU'RE ALWAYS THE OPPONENT
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

petemasterpete wrote:mastodon is really not that good live and their vox are atrocious ...
That was my first time seeing them live and after seeing some examples of their really AWFUL live harmonies on Youtube I was apprehensive. But they nailed it at my show. I loved them and will definitely see them again. I'll just arrive later if DIPSHIT, uh... DEP is opening.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

Kittaan wrote:
petemasterpete wrote:mastodon is really not that good live and their vox are atrocious ...
That was my first time seeing them live and after seeing some examples of their really AWFUL live harmonies on Youtube I was apprehensive. But they nailed it at my show. I loved them and will definitely see them again. I'll just arrive later if DIPSHIT, uh... DEP is opening.
DIDN'T HELP LAST TIME I SAW MASTODON THAT THEY WERE TOURING THE POP ROCK RECORD CALLED THE HUNTER MATCHED WITH THE FACT THAT GOJIRA OPENED AND ARE MUCH BETTER BAND IN GENERAL, BUT SPECIFICALLY LIVE ... DEP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> mastodon
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

We are from different musical worlds Dr., with a couple exceptions. And nothing wrong with that. Glad that you had a good show man. You know I was just busting bawls.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Mastodon were pretty good last time I saw them (despite them playing a "pop rock" record), just as good as DEP were when they last dropped in as well. DEP are a lot tighter with their instruments than you give them credit for Kittaan.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

My friend saw Mastodon last Tuesday and - despite being a reasonably avid follower of the band - said they were as boring as all get out.

He left before the encore.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy wrote:DEP are a lot tighter with their instruments than you give them credit for Kittaan.
I'm just being honest with my opinion. I will grant that my dislike for the performance and the material in general colors my perception, but I did not find the level of musicianship more than competent. But that really has very little to do with me liking a band. I like all different kinds of music, virtuosity is just one aspect, and definitely not the main element for me. It's what you do with what you've got. In the case of Dillinger, I just didn't enjoy it, on record or live. Same for many bands a lot of you dig (mostly when it comes to the vocals... I can only tolerate CM vocals in rare cases).
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Thing about Mastodon is that while I like their music, every album of theirs more or less sounds the same. Leviathan was the best collection of their songs, and everything since has just sounded a little more diluted than the last. To that, I expect Mastodon would be great the first time you see them live, and then gradually less interesting subsequent times.

As it stands, I'm actually not to concerned that I'm going to miss Mastodon for Living Colour at Soundwave tomorrow, especially since they're doing more or less the same set they did 2 years ago at the last Soundwave they played at.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy wrote:Living Colour
Not sure if I told you, but I got to see Living Colour a few months ago in Oakland and they were excellent. Talk about virtuosity, those guys are absolute masters of their instruments and have just gotten better and better. They were hanging out in the lobby afterwards as they usually do. Really nice guys. Chatted with Doug and Will for a bit. Wow, is Corey fat and bald (I know the feeling)...
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Even Living Colour dig DEP:

You're wrong on this one Kittaan :mrgreen:
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

He blew Vernon. That's the only explanation that makes any sense.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Seriously I am surprised Kittaan doesn't like DEP. DEP is a modern metal version of a fusion band. Call it mathcore. Call it whatever you want but there is all kinds of jazz in their music. Incredibly talented bunch of musicians who play around in a number of sub-genres. One of Us is the Killer is a fucking great album. Their prior work is solid but One of Us really opened my eyes to how fucking good these cats are.

Gotta be the screaming. Shame Kittaan cannot get past that. So many incredible bands he is missing out on.

I mean fuck me listen to THIS song and tell me these guys are not incredibly talented.

It reeks of jazz/fusion/math in the most wonderful way.

@Pete - How in the hell can he not like these guys? You would figure this would be his metal wheel house.
The most intelligent person on this forum
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

The instrumentals have swayed my opinion of these guys. They are talented musicians no doubt, but the vocals kill it for me, so I just tune the fucker out. Mad pits when these guys play. Good times
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

M0G wrote:Gotta be the screaming. Shame Kittaan cannot get past that. So many incredible bands he is missing out on.
It is a shame on some level, but you like what you like, n'est ce pas?

In the case of DEP, I don't like the writing OR the vocals, and seeing them live just cemented it for me. Sitting though that set was a truly awful live music experience. Completely cringe worthy. As I looked around at others in my section, I was not alone. There were more than a few zoning out or wincing as was I. It was exacerbated as they were sandwiched between Red Fang and Mastodon who both blew them out of the water in terms of musicianship, writing and performing chops.

Yes, they are talented musicians, but that makes little difference in context.

PS - I don't feel bad in the least slamming bands you fuckers dig, you are always shitting all over my faves. I wouldn't have it any other way.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Kittaan wrote:
M0G wrote:Gotta be the screaming. Shame Kittaan cannot get past that. So many incredible bands he is missing out on.
It is a shame on some level, but you like what you like, n'est ce pas?

In the case of DEP, I don't like the writing OR the vocals, and seeing them live just cemented it for me. Sitting though that set was a truly awful live music experience. Completely cringe worthy. As I looked around at others in my section, I was not alone. There were more than a few zoning out or wincing as was I. It was exacerbated as they were sandwiched between Red Fang and Mastodon who both blew them out of the water in terms of musicianship, writing and performing chops.

Yes, they are talented musicians, but that makes little difference in context.

PS - I don't feel bad in the least slamming bands you fuckers dig, you are always shitting all over my faves. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Fair. Although I rarely slam bands you dig since we dig many of the same bands. Dammit man get over the screaming!

I feel ya though. Sometimes good bands have trouble live and vice versa. I haven't seen DEP live yet so I can't really debate with you on that one. Just felt like a style of metal that you would really dig. Like I said I am not a huge DEP fan. Some of their prior stuff didn't do much for me but as I said, their most recent album made me pay attention. I really, really like One of Us is the Killer. Really is quite a bit of jazz/math in that album.
The most intelligent person on this forum