Album of the Week - Crippled Black Phoenix: A Love of Shared Disasters

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

There are few albums that come close to high art, but Black Crippled Phoenix: A Love of Shared Disasters is the closet I've ever heard.

Prepare to set sail.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL89332C22B2466D59
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Ahoy!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Heard this a few weeks ago when you (Tyson) mentioned it in a thread.

It's pretty good. Made me think of various natural landscapes while listening for some reason.

All the songs are at worst good, but there wasn't one that blew my mind. It's definitely something I'd throw in my album rotation every once in a while though.

7/10
Hey! Denty!
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Really good choice Tyson.  Very impressive.  Some seriously talented dudes in the band.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

The nautical theme is blatent imo.

One second; I have to sneeze---

"Ahhhhhh---CHOOOOOTheRimeoftheAncientMarinerOOOOO!!!!!!!!"

No really, it trippy, it's good...

I'll give it a number out of another bigger number.

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

no complaints from me... good choice... I've got this and I,Vigilante and haven't listened in a while... good excuse to do so... thanx
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

Yep, I dug it.  Nice pull.

I could see myself putting this on and going for a hike or wandering around an aquarium or something like that.

Also, just want to say I really like this "listeners club" idea.  Awesome way to get exposure to music/albums one might not otherwise hear.  Kudos to HB and everyone for contributing thus far.
I like to poop naked.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

@Tyson - I wanted to take a moment and thank you.  A Love of Shared Disasters is simply brilliant.  As a big fan of post rock, I was surprised I hadn't heard of Crippled Black Phoenix prior to this and even more surprised when I found out who the band members are.  All of the recommendations thus far have been solid but this is the first album I have purchased because of this listeners club.  Our musical tastes are rarely in line but I sincerely hope I can return the favor and turn you on to some quality new music at some point.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

?^

I'm curious, why did you sit out the MtVoid week then?
Hey! Denty!
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Ravenpig said
?^

I'm curious, why did you sit out the MtVoid week then?

Not interested in Tool member side projects at this point.

I suspect there is some confusion in your question.  I do not listen to full albums without buying them.  I am strongly against piracy personally.  Now if the band involved really doesn't care, which sometimes is the case as many have gone the band camp route and others have even opened their own youtube channels, then of course I will listen to the album before making a purchasing decision.

So in most cases, I will listen to a few songs and base my judgement off of that.  95% percent of the time that works for me.  I can usually tell whether or not I am going to be interested in a piece of music without having to listen to the entire album.  Occasionally though, I will miss out on a gem that might have really required a few listens to fully appreciate what is going on.

A Love of Shared Disasters hit me immediately.  As soon as I finished listening to Really, How'd it Get this Way? I knew Tyson had posted something special.  Once I listened to The Whistler I knew I was going to buy the album.  From beginning to end it is superb.  I wouldn't go as far as Tyson by calling it "high art" as that topic is far too subjective to start bestowing that particular label.  I could just as easily say Wu-Tang Clan's Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) is "high art" and present a number of solid arguments to support that position but I suspect very few people around here would agree with me.

Bottom line, A Love of Shared Disasters is a special album. 10/10

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Ah ok. I thought you had skipped MtVoid because of the "don't listen to anything I haven't purchased" thing. (You aren't missing much, by the way, other than a few cool spots).

But yea this is a pretty cool album.
Hey! Denty!
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

I'm Almost Home is probably the most beautiful song I've ever heard and where it's placed on the album it certainly gives that feel of coming home after a long journey.

Glad you love it Mog, it's a  special album for me.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Had a listen to this today.  The best thing I can say about it was that it was uninteresting enough that it didn't distract me from my work.  Had it's moments in the first few tracks, but began to drag by the end.  Not really my thing.  5/10
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

^ Shocker Hellboy didn't like it.  Cracks me up how you play at being some kind of music connoisseur, seeing new bands all the time and yapping about how others have limited musical taste and yet your reactions to these albums have been utterly predictable.  At least Tyson stepped outside the box a bit.  God forbid something be artistic or even moderately progressive.  A 5 out of 10?  Really?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

mogeffingmog said
^ Shocker Hellboy didn't like it.  Cracks me up how you play at being some kind of music connoisseur, seeing new bands all the time and yapping about how others have limited musical taste and yet your reactions to these albums have been utterly predictable.  

Wow, personal attacks just for having an opinion.  Please provide examples of where I've:

Claimed to be a music connoisseur
Talked about peoples limited musical taste

I listen to grindcore, I have Mudvayne in my music collection, Appetite For Destruction is one of my favorite albums - do you really think I take my taste in music seriously?

I stand by my review - it was an average album, one I don't think I'll listen to with any regularity
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

hellboy1975 said

mogeffingmog said
^ Shocker Hellboy didn't like it.  Cracks me up how you play at being some kind of music connoisseur, seeing new bands all the time and yapping about how others have limited musical taste and yet your reactions to these albums have been utterly predictable.  

Wow, personal attacks just for having an opinion.  Please provide examples of where I've:

Claimed to be a music connoisseur
Talked about peoples limited musical taste

I listen to grindcore, I have Mudvayne in my music collection, Appetite For Destruction is one of my favorite albums - do you really think I take my taste in music seriously?

I stand by my review - it was an average album, one I don't think I'll listen to with any regularity

Already forgot the shot you took at me in the Random Thoughts thread over Intronaut I see.
You call yourself a musician but cannot appreciate the amount of musical quality present in A Love of Shared Disasters. One thing not enjoying a pick, much like I didn't enjoy LARD. Borderline ignorant to give it a 5 out of 10. LARD is a solid piece of music. Sound doesn't work for me, but it is well put together. Would never have given it a 5 out of 10. I can be objective even if something doesn't appeal to me.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

mogeffingmog said
Already forgot the shot you took at me in the Random Thoughts thread over Intronaut I see
I have forgotten, nor can I see anything obvious in that thread.  Please remind me.  Also, the Random Thoughts thread is hardly a bastion of serious thought.

You call yourself a musician but cannot appreciate the amount of musical quality present in A Love of Shared Disasters. One thing not enjoying a pick, much like I didn't enjoy LARD. Borderline ignorant to give it a 5 out of 10. LARD is a solid piece of music. Sound doesn't work for me, but it is well put together. Would never have given it a 5 out of 10. I can be objective even if something doesn't appeal to me.
There's nothing wrong with the musicianship on the album, I never criticized that once, nor did I think it was a standout either.  I've rated the album (and all other albums I've reviewed) based on my personal enjoyment of it.  If I were to critique the album based on it's musicianship, perhaps it'd be a different score.

I feel I need to explain my personal rating system - 5/10 is average, not bad.  Anything above 5 is above average, and anything below is poor.  Don't take as a bad review, because it isn't.  The score is really just a reflection of that fact that I felt very little listening to the album, and it's not likely to make it to my list of favorites any time soon.

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

This thread won't disappear or anything, will it? I still haven't had a chance to hear it.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

crow011 said
This thread won't disappear or anything, will it? I still haven't had a chance to hear it.

Won't be disappearing.  I think I've put Mog in his place
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I had to listen twice before I formed an opinion.  As Hellboy mentioned, I too had this on in the background the first pass, and while parts caught my interest, I wasn't overwhelmed.  On the second pass, I definitely started to "get it" and paid more attention.  There are some excellent moments and it warrants some undivided attention.  

I dig the instrumentation - use of horns and strings, as well as the quite varied vocals.  Very layered stuff.  The old dude going off about Sally recalled the DSOTM ramblings a bit for me.... and the crescendo / overblown outro was well done, although jarring on first listen - I was looking out for it the second time through.

I had never heard of this band and will now check out the rest of their stuff.  Thanks for the good rec Tyson.
Ki77aan :twisted:
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

hellboy1975 said

crow011 said

Won't be disappearing.  I think I've put Mog in his place

I think you are high off your fucking ass.  There was nothing more to respond to.  Your system for judging albums is ridiculous.  Whether or not you like an album shouldn't be the determining factor of it's overall value if you are objectively analyzing the work.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

{Having a 9 year old has compelled me to give this a shot, but I'm sure it won't go anywhere... }

^ Hey, this is between you guys (and you should probably just get a room at this point - the tension is so thick you can cut it with a dildo) but I can see both sides of this argument.

The problem is, you are both making good points that are not mutually exclusive.  I think Hellboy's system as stated is totally valid - because he stated it when he clarified his position.  Your criteria is also totally valid - but again, it's your opinion.  You say "if you are objectively analyzing the work."  And HB clearly is SUBJECTIVELY giving his take.

EDIT - On further reflection - do we want to set some guidelines around a rating for the Listener's Club?  Given that everyone is potentially using a different set of criteria, ratings are pretty much useless at this point.  I haven't even tried personally.  If there was a stated scale and some simple guidelines we could all follow, it might make it more useful.  Just a thought.

Ki77aan :twisted:
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Kittaan said
{Having a 9 year old has compelled me to give this a shot, but I'm sure it won't go anywhere... }

^ Hey, this is between you guys (and you should probably just get a room at this point - the tension is so thick you can cut it with a dildo) but I can see both sides of this argument.

The problem is, you are both making good points that are not mutually exclusive.  I think Hellboy's system as stated is totally valid - because he stated it when he clarified his position.  Your criteria is also totally valid - but again, it's your opinion.  You say "if you are objectively analyzing the work."  And HB clearly is SUBJECTIVELY giving his take.

EDIT - On further reflection - do we want to set some guidelines around a rating for the Listener's Club?  Given that everyone is potentially using a different set of criteria, ratings are pretty much useless at this point.  I haven't even tried personally.  If there was a stated scale and some simple guidelines we could all follow, it might make it more useful.  Just a thought.

Kittaan you are a good-hearted fellow.  No matter how annoying Hellboy is at times I will always have a soft spot for him.  We did try to get a room once but ended up arguing over who was going to play the part of the woman in the relationship.  He claims to be on a bullshit crusade but I suspect he was just salty because I said he wears Rose-Colored Glasses.  He is still my second favorite Fourth Eye moderator and my favorite Fourth Eye administrator

Staying on topic, A Love of Shared Disasters is one of those albums that keeps getting better and better with each listen.  There is a lot going on both musically and thematically.  Brilliant album.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I hope we don't start attacking each other because someone else didn't like the album we loved.  I'm assuming this happened because HB and Mog have been beefing for a couple of days anyway.

As for Kitaan's thought, my 1-10 scale is like the basic letter grades in school.  10- A+, 9- A, 8- B, 7- C, etc.  I'd nominate that if we wanna put suggestions up to a vote or something.

I just wanna add that for me starting at 7 albums are pushing the "Very Good" category.  This album would be a 7.  Something like Lateralus would be a 10.
Hey! Denty!
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Ravenpig said
I hope we don't start attacking each other because someone else didn't like the album we loved.  I'm assuming this happened because HB and Mog have been beefing for a couple of days anyway.

^ You got it RP.  I would never fuck with someone because they didn't like an album.  But obviously it was distracting enough for you to mention it, so I will stop porking, i mean beefing, Hellboy outside of the appropriate threads for such activities.

And where did you go to school?  C's are not acceptable at FE.  I expect A's and B's or no pie for you.