Album of the Week - Crippled Black Phoenix: A Love of Shared Disasters

Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Heh, "porking".  Ok cool man.

I know it seems weird to think that a C is actually a very good grade for me to give an album but it is.  My grading scale itself is pretty simple but my thoughts on the actual numbers I give out are not.  I don't know if that helps or not.

Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

mogeffingmog said 
I think you are high off your fucking ass.  There was nothing more to respond to.  Your system for judging albums is ridiculous.  Whether or not you like an album shouldn't be the determining factor of it's overall value if you are objectively analyzing the work.

Of course it is.  No one here is objective in regards to music - that's impossible.

You liked the album - that's great, I'm glad this album of the week system is helping you discover some good music.  The real problem here is that while we have differing opinions on the album, only one of us is attacking the others opinion.  I can only assume that I somehow offended you, something which didn't intend to do.

Or perhaps you're trying to provoke a reaction, as part of your hobby to watch people reactions.  You want bullshit called out - how about I call out that.  It's not some high and mighty experiment - it's a lame excuse to not have to take responsibility for your words.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

In as far as a rating system goes, I think it would be hard to agree on, and people will still rate in an inconsistent manner.  Sounds like Ravenpiug and I have apretty similar system of rating though.  My system is something like:

Terrible
Terrible
Terrible
Shit
Average
Good
Very Good
Very Very Good
Excellent
Classic

For something to get a 10, it can't have a single lousy track (segues excluded unless there are so many they detract from the album).
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

mogeffingmog said

hellboy1975 said

crow011 said
This thread won't disappear or anything, will it? I still haven't had a chance to hear it.

Won't be disappearing.  I think I've put Mog in his place

I think you are high off your fucking ass.  There was nothing more to respond to.  Your system for judging albums is ridiculous.  Whether or not you like an album shouldn't be the determining factor of it's overall value if you are objectively analyzing the work.

somewhat disagree... just cuz 'the raven' is technically sound (nearing 9-10 on a level of musicianship), doesn't mean I'd rate it much higher than a 7 solely based on the fact that I don't intend to be listening to it often and don't find it all that interesting as much as self-indulgent for it's own sake.

for the record, Aenima = 10 on my 1-10 scale and everything else flows beneath that somewhere.  It's quite rare for me to rate anything else 9+, when using that as my high end baseline.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy1975 said
In as far as a rating system goes, I think it would be hard to agree on, and people will still rate in an inconsistent manner.  Sounds like Ravenpiug and I have apretty similar system of rating though.  My system is something like:

Terrible
Terrible
Terrible
Shit
Average
Good
Very Good
Very Very Good
Excellent
Classic

For something to get a 10, it can't have a single lousy track (segues excluded unless there are so many they detract from the album).

What if it's all just segues?
Don't mow your lawn
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Fuck yeah segues!

MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

hellboy said 
Of course it is. No one here is objective in regards to music - that's impossible.

Well goodness that is rather insulting to everyone involved in the conversation don't ya think?  Who are you to say that no one here at Fourth Eye has the ability to objectively analyze a piece of music?  That reeks of bullshit.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

"With regard to".

This album is the absolute tits. I came from it after listening to AGALLOCH "The Mantle", so I was already in this kind of mood.

I looked them up, and they're somewhat of a supergroup. I'll definitely be getting their later albums. The atmosphere and musicianship, is top notch. Just love it.

8/10, if we're doing scores. It was a good change of pace, and now I'm fairly certain what I'm going to pick for my week.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

mogeffingmog said

hellboy said 
Of course it is. No one here is objective in regards to music - that's impossible.

Well goodness that is rather insulting to everyone involved in the conversation don't ya think?  Who are you to say that no one here at Fourth Eye has the ability to objectively analyze a piece of music?  That reeks of bullshit.

Happy to be proven otherwise.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

The Boss said
"With regard to".

I'll definitely be getting their later albums. The atmosphere and musicianship, is top notch. Just love it.

I have been absorbing 200 Tons of Bad Luck from 2009 and it's actually even better in some ways.  Maybe just more accessible?  I also found an EP called Extra Tracks, with a cover of Run Like Hell that amused and surprised me.  Huge variation in musical influence and genres covered so far in this band.  Really digging it.  From what I have found, there are at least 5 more full albums to explore after this (two from last year).  Quite surprised they never popped up on my radar prior to Tyson's rec.  

@ Mog - I think you are taking things too personally bud.  You've come a long way since you first joined us... I would suggest continuing down that path - and I hope that doesn't sound condescending.  Don't mean it that way.  I get what you're saying about objective analysis, but have to point out the inherent subjectivity that plays into it.  We are all human and so many things color our interpretation, especially of art forms... not to mention our mood while experiencing a given work... for me that can change hourly.  I do think Hellboy is being straight up with you in this case when he says he's not trying to fuck with you.  There I go again... stopping now.  

Ki77aan :twisted:
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Kittaan said

The Boss said
"With regard to".

I'll definitely be getting their later albums. The atmosphere and musicianship, is top notch. Just love it.

I have been absorbing 200 Tons of Bad Luck from 2009 and it's actually even better in some ways.  Maybe just more accessible?  I also found an EP called Extra Tracks, with a cover of Run Like Hell that amused and surprised me.  Huge variation in musical influence and genres covered so far in this band.  Really digging it.  From what I have found, there are at least 5 more full albums to explore after this (two from last year).  Quite surprised they never popped up on my radar prior to Tyson's rec.  

Be careful, a lot of their releases are confusing as they different packages of the same album, in different orders, get the official releases from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crippled_Black_Phoenix
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

^ Yep, that's what I was basing my comments on... I will just go in chronological order....

A Love of Shared Disasters (2006)

200 Tons of Bad Luck (2009)

The Resurrectionists / Night Raider (Disc 1) (2009)

(Mankind) The Crafty Ape (2012)

I, Vigilante (2010)

No sadness or farewell (2012) CD

But next I'm going back for this EP from 2006 apparently - Shark And Storms ⁄ Blizzard Of Horned Cats

Doesn't show up on Wiki for some reason.

Hey Tyson, have you ever seen them live?
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Kittaan said
{Having a 9 year old has compelled me to give this a shot, but I'm sure it won't go anywhere... }

^ Hey, this is between you guys (and you should probably just get a room at this point - the tension is so thick you can cut it with a dildo) but I can see both sides of this argument.

The problem is, you are both making good points that are not mutually exclusive.  I think Hellboy's system as stated is totally valid - because he stated it when he clarified his position.  Your criteria is also totally valid - but again, it's your opinion.  You say "if you are objectively analyzing the work."  And HB clearly is SUBJECTIVELY giving his take.

EDIT - On further reflection - do we want to set some guidelines around a rating for the Listener's Club?  Given that everyone is potentially using a different set of criteria, ratings are pretty much useless at this point.  I haven't even tried personally.  If there was a stated scale and some simple guidelines we could all follow, it might make it more useful.  Just a thought.

I'd rather we didn't. Wasn't the point more to expose other forum members to albums we dig that they may not have heard?

Also, I felt I owed it to myself to go back and follow that argument between His Holy Hellboi and Musically Masturbating Mog - and frankly, I feel stupider for doing so.

Thanks guys. I have managed to lose some faith in humanity today.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Never been to Oz
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Tyson said
Never been to Oz

Looks as though they'd stick to the UK, I guess.

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

And all over Europe
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Kittaan said
^ Yep, that's what I was basing my comments on... I will just go in chronological order....

A Love of Shared Disasters (2006)

200 Tons of Bad Luck (2009)

The Resurrectionists / Night Raider (Disc 1) (2009)

(Mankind) The Crafty Ape (2012)

I, Vigilante (2010)

No sadness or farewell (2012) CD

But next I'm going back for this EP from 2006 apparently - Shark And Storms ⁄ Blizzard Of Horned Cats

Doesn't show up on Wiki for some reason.

Hey Tyson, have you ever seen them live?

Hmm, from the horses mouth:

The double album before that ended up being somewhat confusing, as it was condensed into one and then uncondensed and so on. Do you think you were being too ambitious maybe?

JG: I see the two albums, “The Resurrectionists” and “Night Raider, forget about “200 Tons of Bad Luck” – that wasn’t our idea. Those two albums were how it turned out and I’ll stand by that. Maybe to my detriment I was a little bit too set on what I wanted. It wasn’t really a band then… I mean, I’ll always stand by it and if it was ambitious I stand by that… there’s nothing wrong with that after all.

in_the_blender
Bronco's Fan

Post by in_the_blender »

Listening to the first track, its like a mix between Tibetan chants and pirates.

Second track is a bit more interesting, i think i'll continue.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

The Boss said

Kittaan said
{Having a 9 year old has compelled me to give this a shot, but I'm sure it won't go anywhere... }

^ Hey, this is between you guys (and you should probably just get a room at this point - the tension is so thick you can cut it with a dildo) but I can see both sides of this argument.

The problem is, you are both making good points that are not mutually exclusive.  I think Hellboy's system as stated is totally valid - because he stated it when he clarified his position.  Your criteria is also totally valid - but again, it's your opinion.  You say "if you are objectively analyzing the work."  And HB clearly is SUBJECTIVELY giving his take.

EDIT - On further reflection - do we want to set some guidelines around a rating for the Listener's Club?  Given that everyone is potentially using a different set of criteria, ratings are pretty much useless at this point.  I haven't even tried personally.  If there was a stated scale and some simple guidelines we could all follow, it might make it more useful.  Just a thought.

I'd rather we didn't. Wasn't the point more to expose other forum members to albums we dig that they may not have heard?

Also, I felt I owed it to myself to go back and follow that argument between His Holy Hellboi and Musically Masturbating Mog - and frankly, I feel stupider for doing so.

Thanks guys. I have managed to lose some faith in humanity today.

^ Suck it.  You have been involved in plenty of shit storms yourself buddy.

@Kittaan - Your perspective is always respected and appreciated.  My last post was completely tongue in cheek.  I'm fine with Hellboy even when he gets on my nerves.

@Tyson - Where do I go next with Crippled Black Phoenix?  How would you compare their other albums to A Love of Shared Disasters?
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

More proggy but still great, I heard ALOSD first so it's my favourite, just skip 200 Tons of Bad Luck  and go straight to The Resurrectionists / Night Raider, tbh I never listened to their eps
in_the_blender
Bronco's Fan

Post by in_the_blender »

Alright, finished it.

I particularly liked Track 5 - "When you're gone", and the second half of the album was decidedly better than the first (a trait of many post-rock albums IMO). The old man with the pirate voice sucked. The last track sounded a bit like Sigur Ros, which i couldn't decide whether i dug or not.

7/10, im having trouble getting excited about the whole genre at the moment, but theres still some moments of greatness in there if you have half a mind to pay attention.

Also, since when did you two fags (Tysan and Mogrette) make up?
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

in_the_blender said
Alright, finished it.

I particularly liked Track 5 - "When you're gone", and the second half of the album was decidedly better than the first (a trait of many post-rock albums IMO). The old man with the pirate voice sucked. The last track sounded a bit like Sigur Ros, which i couldn't decide whether i dug or not.

7/10, im having trouble getting excited about the whole genre at the moment, but theres still some moments of greatness in there if you have half a mind to pay attention.

Also, since when did you two fags (Tysan and Mogrette) make up?

Skype and K-Y always does the trick.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Still digging this... and the rest of their stuff has some real gems...

This one feels like an old friend already.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
budsyralli
Fornicraster
Height: this tall

Post by budsyralli »

when do i post my album choice

go taff!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Now?