Album of the Week - Fever Ray - ST

gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

Ight, album of the week time again folks. This ones a little late but better late than never n shit right?

Of all the picks so far I think Lunatic Soul, Crippled Black Phoenix and Fiona Apple were the ones I liked most. I've been meaning to write more extensive reviews on all of the picks but I've been too busy.

I decided on Fever Ray. One of my favorite albums and very psychedelic. It's kind of like what Tool would be if Tool was an electronic group with a female singer.

(The Album and Artist are called Fever Ray, not sure why it says "Seven" in the title.)

(ps Anyone else think we should do "Playlist of the Week" instead? Arrange a playlist from any one artist n shit.)
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Interesting. Looking forward to it!
Hey! Denty!
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Fantastic album, 9/10

(I was already a huge fan)
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

^Interesting squared, you rarely see scores higher than 7.5 for these.
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Thanks for the submission.  Will give it a listen sometime over the next couple of days.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Only a few songs into it, but my first thought on hearing the female vocalist was: Bjork.  Not a bad thing for me, and this vocalist definitely has her own unique voice.  Digging it so far.

I can already tell that the loops / canned drums are going to be a negative distraction (as usual for me with electronic music), but at least I'm interested enough to continue listening.

Edit:  Listened all the way through.  I fatigue easily with electronic music, and while the vocals were interesting, it didn't engage me enough to want to listen again in the future.  I think with more live musician involvement, I'd feel differently about it.  It has potential.  
Ki77aan :twisted:
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Not normally my cup of tea, but you know what?  I dug it.  The over done electronics and bass that usually bug me about this type of music aren't, um, over done here.  The singer doesn't have a great voice but she uses it really well.  It reminds me of "darker" 80's pop music, the type they would play during dramatic movie scenes.

My only gripe is the dude who "sings" a couple of times, terrible voice.  Really took me out of the songs.  Other than that, solid stuff.

The highlights for me were "Seven" and "I'm Not Done", great tracks especially IMD.

7/10

Hey! Denty!
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Listened all the way through.  I fatigue easily with most electronic music, and while the vocals were interesting (apart from the dude, as raven stated), it didn't engage me enough to want to listen again in the future.  I think with more live musician involvement, I'd feel differently about it.  It has potential.

^ listened to about 40 mins. 
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I thought the dudes vocals were the better ones.  Still, this is an album I'm unlikely to go back to.
gamebounty
RIP

Post by gamebounty »

I'm pretty sure there is no "dude" and that the female singer does 99% of the vocals, using effects and what not to create that dude voice.
"The whole world seems to have gone full gay retard" -petemasterpete
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

either way, didn't care for that part, although, all in all it was a quality pick for album of the week and a good change of pace... never really gave them a full listen prior to this.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

This album's great, I've had it for about a year. I'm Not Done is my favorite. Also, if you like this you owe it to yourself to listen to The Knife (Fever Ray and her brother)
Ahhh, Infotainment!
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

I had heard some stuff by Fever Ray before...

I thought it was pretty good.

Professor of Lesbian Science
PrimaryPenetrator
Maynard Believer

Re: Album of the Week - Fever Ray - ST

Post by PrimaryPenetrator »

Fever Ray and The Knife are the two coolest bands ever. Karin is unbelievably cool and her (and brother) taste in sound is utterly amazing.