Album of the week - Fat Freddy's Drop 'Based on a true story'

Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

So I've seen these guys pop up on this board before, but not sure how many of you have given them a proper go. I've gone with this album, coz I was aware of these guys for years & they didn't do much for me. It was about 5 years ago on a forum for the band Cog, that a bloke insisted I give them a better go. I'm so glad he told me to persist coz a week never goes by without these guys getting a bash on my stereo. They're from New Zealand & combine so many influences of reggae, soul, dub etc to create a sound of their own & as far as live bands go, they're right up there as one of the best I have ever seen. 

I'm not expecting it to be for everyone, but hopefully manage to convert someone with it. They're 3rd album just released 2 days ago & is an absolute beauty too. Hope ya dig!

Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

I like it bruh-just what i've been looking for.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Good, solid album.  Not a weak track in sight.  Reggae/Reggaish music is definitely something I have to be in the right mood/environment for so it's not something I'd listen to regularly, but that's just me. 

Fun album though, great AOTW pick.

6.5/10
Hey! Denty!
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

Not bad! I wasn't expecting much after the first track but it started pulling me in more as it progressed. I liked the call and response stuff in Ray Ray, kinda reminded me of some of my favorite Kraftwerk moments.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ravenpig said
Good, solid album.  Not a weak track in sight.  Reggae/Reggaish music is definitely something I have to be in the right mood/environment for so it's not something I'd listen to reggaeurly, but that's just me. 

Fun album though, great AOTW pick.

6.5/10

Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Damn it I can't believe I didn't think of that.
Hey! Denty!
Busty McCracken

limeygringo said
Not bad! I wasn't expecting much after the first track but it started pulling me in more as it progressed. I liked the call and response stuff in Ray Ray, kinda reminded me of some of my favorite Kraftwerk moments.

They have a tendency to do that & the more you repeat the album, the more they suck you in. Can't recommend these guys enough.. This new album they've just released is fucking amazing too! If anyone's in the UK, July - August, they're about to do some shows over there & highly recommend getting along to it. Cheers for listening all.. 
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

Was just giving this a listen yesterday and was going to give it some props on fourth eye, you bet me to it! Great to see some NZ music that's half decent getting out there. Reckon this album is some of their best stuff
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Definitely enjoyed it, Busty.  I've heard them before, and also checked them out at your previous recommendations in various places here.  

Highest praise I can offer: my wife and kid were bopping to it while I made dinner tonight.  When I told her it was a rec from FourthEye, she was duly impressed, commenting on how many other tracks I've sampled from here have NOT been her thing.

I assume you're already familiar with Lettuce?  Even though they are much more on the Soul/Funk tip vs the Reggae thing, I was reminded of them listening to this.  If you haven't heard Lettuce, you've got to seek some out.
Ki77aan :twisted:
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Nearly halfway through, and this is fucking wicked. My island-nigger girlfriend is loving it to, so our house is a happy one right now. (I have it cranked).

I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to this style of music, so I'll give it a solid 8 happys out of 10. And I thank you for sharing this with us. AOTW concept at its best.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Busty McCracken

Stoked so many have given it a bash & are digging. Have got a fair few top recommendations over the years from this board, so am stoked to be able to return the favour. If you all delve further to their catalogue & want more, check out Trinity Roots. Is the singers other project. 

264zn: There's so many great artists coming out of N.Z it's not funny at the moment. The Black Seeds, Ddub, Tiki Taane, Six60 etc etc. Agree this was probably their best album. The EP, is solid & Boondigga still recieves massive rotation on my stereo, but is let down by one or 2 songs on the album, so that's why I went with Based on a true story as my recommendation. Saying that, this new album just released, (it might just be the excitement of hearing some fresh tunes from one of my favourite bands) is shaping up to be my favourite release yet from the Drop. Is consistently amazing from start to finish & very up tempo throughout.

Kittaan, great to hear the whole family is grooving out to it. Can't say I've ever heard Lettuce before, but I love funk & soul, so will be all over that shit asap. Cheers for the tip.. 

And Bossman, is my absolute pleasure mate. Glad you & your island nigger are enjoying. 

NickTheGC
of Arimathea

Post by NickTheGC »

If you like FFD, I'm sure you'll love Kora. New Zealand band as well, check them out!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Busty McCracken said
Stoked so many have given it a bash & are digging. Have got a fair few top recommendations over the years from this board, so am stoked to be able to return the favour. If you all delve further to their catalogue & want more, check out Trinity Roots. Is the singers other project. 

264zn: There's so many great artists coming out of N.Z it's not funny at the moment. The Black Seeds, Ddub, Tiki Taane, Six60 etc etc. Agree this was probably their best album. The EP, is solid & Boondigga still recieves massive rotation on my stereo, but is let down by one or 2 songs on the album, so that's why I went with Based on a true story as my recommendation. Saying that, this new album just released, (it might just be the excitement of hearing some fresh tunes from one of my favourite bands) is shaping up to be my favourite release yet from the Drop. Is consistently amazing from start to finish & very up tempo throughout.

Kittaan, great to hear the whole family is grooving out to it. Can't say I've ever heard Lettuce before, but I love funk & soul, so will be all over that shit asap. Cheers for the tip.. 

And Bossman, is my absolute pleasure mate. Glad you & your island nigger are enjoying. 

The coconut muncher is familiar with and loves all the bands you just mentioned. I think I remember her playing me Tiki Taane before, come to think of it.

Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Busty McCracken said

Check out the

What are you listening to?
thread:  http://www.fourtheye.net/f/music/what-a ... 39/#p20955

Enjoy!

Ki77aan :twisted:
Busty McCracken

Kora are also the tits man. Like I said, such a ridiculous amount of talent coming out of Hobbiton lately it's not funny, but Fat Fred's easily take the crown for mine.

Tiki Taane used to be the singer for a great Dub band called Salmonella Dub, then went solo. Not a huge fan of his album but is great fun as a live act.

Replied to ya post in listening thread Kitaan.. Cheers

And The Black Seeds might ring a bell to any Breaking bad fans out there..

MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Not bad but not great.  I enjoy Reggae and Dub and this band feels kind of middle of the road in terms of quality.  5.5/10

Props tho for showcasing this style of music.
Bogart
Geacon

Post by Bogart »

The Boss said
 My island-nigger girlfriend is loving it to

The fuck?? LOL

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Bogart said

The Boss said
 My island-nigger girlfriend is loving it to

The fuck?? LOL

Just pointing out that pretty much all coconut-munching island niggers like this type of music. She started bopping around the house and dancing when I pressed play.

It was both adorable and pretty annoying.

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Sigh.  Is this language really necessary here?  Let's not forget we're outside of the Infinity forum...
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy1975 said
Sigh.  Is this language really necessary here?  Let's not forget we're outside of the Infinity forum...

Sorry for being lighthearted.

Back on topic: Album would sound good with a cocktail on the beach in the South Pacific.

petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

The Boss said

hellboy1975 said

Back on topic: Album would sound good with a cocktail on the beach in the South Pacific.

FWIW, the initial comment about your lady friend was the first thing I can remember on this site in fucking forever that made me audibly laugh a bit
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

petemasterpete said

The Boss said

hellboy1975 said

FWIW, the initial comment about your lady friend was the first thing I can remember on this site in fucking forever that made me audibly laugh a bit

Fa'afetai lava.

petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

The Boss said

petemasterpete said

The Boss said

hellboy1975 said

Fa'afetai lava.

pahoehoe or A'a? ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER...

also, back on topic... not my cup of tea, this record... not a huge fan of reggae/dub in general with very few exceptions... this did little for me.

My wife (who is not and island monkey, just a hungary polack), however digs Kora a bit having seen them live here a few days after moving here (with Cog and Jakob) so she may care to have a listen to this.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Busty McCracken

^ NOw that's a gig I would've loved to of attended!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

petemasterpete said

The Boss said

petemasterpete said

The Boss said

hellboy1975 said

Fa'afetai lava.

pahoehoe or A'a? ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER...

also, back on topic... not my cup of tea, this record... not a huge fan of reggae/dub in general with very few exceptions... this did little for me.

My wife (who is not and island monkey, just a hungary polack), however digs Kora a bit having seen them live here a few days after moving here (with Cog and Jakob) so she may care to have a listen to this.

Fuck, just look at how multicultural we all are . . .