Album of the Week: Dust - Dust (1971)

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Album of the Week: Dust - Dust (1971)

Post by hellboy »

On behalf of Ravenpig, I share with you his selection for album of the week. It's Dust - the 70s prog rock band that Blair talked about in a recent newsletter, when he posed the statement that Tool would cover From A Dry Camel on their next album. The answer turned out to be false, but Ravenpig thought enough of the album he thought it was worth a run on our Listeners Club.

Without further ado:

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Re: Album of the Week: Dust - Dust (1971)

Post by The Boss »

I dig the Pig, so I'll hit this on Tuesday (Oz time).

Thanks also for helping a dude out, just to make this idea work. It's kind of cool that you did that.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Yea thanks again for the assist, HB.

I hope those of you who haven't heard this will like it!
Hey! Denty!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Oh and here's a fun bonus fact: the drummer on this band is none other than Marky Ramone! (Before he was a Ramone)
Hey! Denty!
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Not bad at all RP. Some interesting moments. Bass and Drumming are solid. 6.5 / 10
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Had this on my list to check out, so works out fine for me. Will listen soonish.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

One review so far, what a dud my pick turned out to be. I'd rather it get ripped to pieces than ignored.
Hey! Denty!
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

If you posted this on the weekend my time I would have.

Relax.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Ravenpig wrote:One review so far, what a dud my pick turned out to be. I'd rather it get ripped to pieces than ignored.
Don't stress dude. Bunch of lazy fucks on this site. Shocker their favorite band is TOOL.

The album feels very much like a what could have been type release. From A Dry Camel is excellent. The rest of the album is significantly weaker. Had they stuck with the sound they developed in FADC the album could have been great.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Not Tyson wrote:If you posted this on the weekend my time I would have.

Relax.
I had to jump in cause the two people ahead of me on the list haven't been around.

I was ripping on myself more than anything.
Hey! Denty!
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Mog of the Architect wrote:
Ravenpig wrote:One review so far, what a dud my pick turned out to be. I'd rather it get ripped to pieces than ignored.
Don't stress dude. Bunch of lazy fucks on this site. Shocker their favorite band is TOOL.

The album feels very much like a what could have been type release. From A Dry Camel is excellent. The rest of the album is significantly weaker. Had they stuck with the sound they developed in FADC the album could have been great.
You might like their second album, Hard Attack, more than this one. But I chose this one because FADC is their best song by far (and the only reason I can see why I keep seeing them called a prof band)

But yea check it out, its worth a listen as well.
Hey! Denty!
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

I listened to this a while back and then again earlier this week and forgot to post my rating.

I enjoyed it and will probably listen to it more. Has that nostalgic old school rock and roll sound.
Professor of Lesbian Science
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Started earlier, but only completed it last night. What really stands out for me is the rhythm section, most definitely the drums. The drummer is clearly the high point, and the bassist has some moments. There are flashes of decent guitar playing, but far too much lazy wanking. The dudes voice is not unpleasant, but not remarkable either. The lyrics are atrocious. The song writing, for the most part is just weak and incoherent. I saw your note about later albums, and will check them out, but I wouldn't go back to this.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Sorry man, been a busy week so had only listened to the first song, before leaving the house. Now 20 minutes in having my morning cuppa & finding myself digging it more & more as it goes on. Like Kittan says, the bass player in me is digging the shit out of the rhythm section, especially the drummer. The guitarist doesn't seem to have much in his bag of tricks to me, but what he adds, suits it perfectly & I really like the vocal style for it. Can see myself busting this album out by a campfire soon & digging the living shit out of it. Reminds me of different elements of sabbath, while still standing alone as their own.

Halfway through the album, review 8/10. Cheers for putting it down as ya album mate, can see myself getting well acquainted with this one.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:On behalf of Ravenpig, I share with you his selection for album of the week. It's Dust - the 70s prog rock band that Blair talked about in a recent newsletter, when he posed the statement that Tool would cover From A Dry Camel on their next album. The answer turned out to be false, but Ravenpig thought enough of the album he thought it was worth a run on our Listeners Club.

Without further ado:

OK, I got about halfway. Just not for me. 4/10
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Nothing on tv tonight, (after neighbours of course) so expect a review in t minus 9 hours
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote:Nothing on tv tonight, (after neighbours of course) so expect a review in t minus 9 hours
Three episodes of Deep Space 9 back to back to back on 11 tonight imo
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Futurama is on as well
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

The Boss wrote:
hellboy wrote:On behalf of Ravenpig, I share with you his selection for album of the week. It's Dust - the 70s prog rock band that Blair talked about in a recent newsletter, when he posed the statement that Tool would cover From A Dry Camel on their next album. The answer turned out to be false, but Ravenpig thought enough of the album he thought it was worth a run on our Listeners Club.

Without further ado:

Did you at least hear "From a Dry Camel"? Gotta hear that one.
Hey! Denty!
Busty McCracken

Post by Busty McCracken »

Ravenpig wrote:
The Boss wrote:

Without further ado:

Did you at least hear "From a Dry Camel"? Gotta hear that one.
I like that ya whinge about not getting any reviews, ya then go on to get 4 reviews & ignore the 3 that actually got something out of the album.. :P
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

SIgh,

Absolutely loved the first half, Sabbath meets Skynyrd, had my toe a tapping and my head a boppin, fucking fantastic, loved that guitar tone, same one my Dad uses when he plays the blues, damn that was great. The guitarist was great on these tracks, hell the whole band was.

Now to the next part, Planet Caravan rip off, yeah not a fan, not was I of the last track, the instrumental mix of rockabilly and jazz, didn't work. At the start I was going to give this album an absolute 9, then I remembered it was Blair that recommended this album and ravencunt was being an unoriginal spunk trumpet so it was an 8, then I heard the second half so it went down to 6, but the first half can't be denied, I love that fucking tone and era, it's an 8.

FREE BIRD!!!!!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

If we've learnt anything, it's that "spunktrumpet" should be used more often on this forum.

I also thought of "wankbag" today while I was in class. Yes, my life is that exciting.

Wankbag. I like it.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

The Boss wrote:If we've learnt anything, it's that "spunktrumpet" should be used more often on this forum.

I also thought of "wankbag" today while I was in class. Yes, my life is that exciting.

Wankbag. I like it.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Saw that on The Chive yesterday.

Time to have a shower after admitting that.