Album of the Week - Acrobats - Peggy Sue

basejumper
Droner

Album of the Week - Acrobats - Peggy Sue

Post by basejumper »

Something a little different...
Indie folk rock of sorts. I love the harmonies these ladies lay down. This is their second album it's a little different than their first album which is a bit more acoustic in nature. I like that one better but I couldn't find a link to listen to it. Their next studio album is due out in January.

Acrobats - by Peggy Sue
https://soundcloud.com/peggysueband/sets/acrobats-1

"Produced by John Parish (PJ Harvey, Sparklehorse, Giant Sand, Eels etc) in early 2011, the album finds the band moving away from the acoustic sounds of their first album to something heavier but just as subtle and beautiful. This new sound may surprise some fans - only one song on the album features acoustic guitar - but the dual vocals and tribal drums familiar from their debut are still present and more developed and breath-taking than ever before.

The band released their debut album Fossils and other Phantoms on Wichita Recordings in 2010. It won the band acclaim for its subtle but powerful song writing. The NME called them 'head-over-heels brilliant', The Guardian praised their 'thrilling' musicianship and awarded the album four stars."

If you want only want to listen to one song from Peggy Sue I present this song from their first album...
Watchman
This a pretty good live version
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Professor of Lesbian Science
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Re: Album of the Week - Acrobats - Peggy Sue

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

More like Peggy Boo, cause they sucked. (Haven't listened to it yet.)
Don't mow your lawn
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Interesting. Actually very good. Not exactly something I would listen to on a regular basis but from an objective standpoint this is very good stuff. No denying there is talent there. Compositions are well thought out and executed. Not my cup of tea, but a solid 7 / 10
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I thought it was ok. Definitely some interesting/unique stuff but its just not for me. Glad to have heard it though.

5.5/10
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I though it was a pretty decent album. Definitely tones of PJ Harvey there as already noted. I'd give it a 7/10.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Nice!
I'm glad a few of you took the time to check them out. Honestly I didn't think anybody would listen since the AOTW has been slowly losing interest.

I really dig these guys. I like how the drummer uses many things as percussion instruments sometimes when they play live. Just seems like he grabs something that sounds right and goes with it. Like the use of the rim of the drum not just the skin. The ladies have a lot of talent and play multiple instruments from accordion to drums to banjo, not to mention the best instrument... their voices.

Thanks again for giving them a listen. A couple more for your enjoyment... or not.

Really like this tune!
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

I feel like this style is everywhere at the moment. That being said, I think this stands out. Their voices are great and angelic, but the combination with the arrangements makes it unique. 8.5/10
Ahhh, Infotainment!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Missed more of these than I thought. Heard this one as well, but not sure I got all the way through it the first time. I like it quite a bit, it's also on my top AOTW picks list. Great vocals and interesting writing. Loved that live clip of them stripped down to just guitar and percussion too.

Nice pick Base. Sorry for the delay in reviewing. Glad Jay got me to go back and revisit the picks.
Ki77aan :twisted:
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Just got to see them play live!

WOW!

Can't wait for the new album in January!
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

In honor of Peggy Sue putting out a new album (Choir of Echoes) last week I thought I would post the first release/video from it.

Idle