Album of the Week - Aesop Rock - Skelethon

petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Album of the Week - Aesop Rock - Skelethon

Post by petemasterpete »

He has some better stuff, but his best record (None Shall Pass 9.5/10, easy) at this point probably fits better in the classic album of the week segment, so here's his latest solo offering, as he's been busy on several other projects with other artists of late as well. Basically posting this because thus far, the genre's been lost on Album of the Week to this point. Like this or not, I'd implore you to go into his back catalog a bit ... his sample style is ever changing and stylistically, he may have the best vocabulary in the game at the moment. At the very least, give the first three tracks a go ... all solid.

[youtube][/youtube]

For the record, this album made my top ten from 2012
Last edited by petemasterpete on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Album of the Week - Aesop Rock - Skelethon

Post by hellboy »

Already listened to this. No comment...
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

loved Skelethon. None Shall Pass as well. speaking of the Weathermen, Cage's new album just leaked too. "Kill The Architect". here's an oldy but a goody with Aesop, Alex and Jamie:

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

petemasterpete wrote:He has some better stuff, but his best record (None Shall Pass 9.5/10, easy) at this point probably fits better in the classic album of the week segment
This confuses me because I have no idea who this is. I take "classic" of the week to mean something you know for sure 99% of people here have heard (ex: Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon)...unless I'm in that 1%?

Regardless, I'm looking forward to hearing this as I have no clue what to expect.
Hey! Denty!
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Hey dick face try BBVideo instead of youtube..like this...

Not really an Aesop fan but it ain't bad. I grew up a massive hip hop head and still revisit the good old shit now and again but most current hip hop is pathetic. Aesop Rock is decent. Nothing ground breaking but better than 98% of the monotony that is hip hop at the moment.

7 / 10
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

MOG wrote:Hey dick face try BBVideo instead of youtube..like this...

Not really an Aesop fan but it ain't bad. I grew up a massive hip hop head and still revisit the good old shit now and again but most current hip hop is pathetic. Aesop Rock is decent. Nothing ground breaking but better than 98% of the monotony that is hip hop at the moment.

7 / 10
Cage fan?
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

As a fan of Aesop I thought this one was pretty weak.

6/10
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

Ravenpig wrote:
petemasterpete wrote:He has some better stuff, but his best record (None Shall Pass 9.5/10, easy) at this point probably fits better in the classic album of the week segment
This confuses me because I have no idea who this is. I take "classic" of the week to mean something you know for sure 99% of people here have heard (ex: Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon)...unless I'm in that 1%?

Regardless, I'm looking forward to hearing this as I have no clue what to expect.
I hear ya ... but it's about 8 years old and I played that shit out so from my perspective it's classic, should be a must listen at this point ... so much so that I've probably listened to it easily twice as many times as 10K days
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

hellboy wrote:Already listened to this. No comment...
sorry, dude, I think most of my planned picks I've lined up in my head are better suited to the "classic albums" chunk of this thread to be entirely honest.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

Not Tyson wrote:As a fan of Aesop I thought this one was pretty weak.

6/10
I thought the same upon the first few listens, but I love it now ... he's done better, but at least he hasn't become gone the way of Pop R&B artist like so many other rappers (Eminem among them) in recent times.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator

Post by petemasterpete »

MOG wrote:Hey dick face try BBVideo instead of youtube..like this...

7 / 10
he's quite literally the only currently relevant hip-hop artist I spin on a regular basis ... mostly everything else is 10 or more years old at this point.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

petemasterpete wrote:
Not Tyson wrote:As a fan of Aesop I thought this one was pretty weak.

6/10
I thought the same upon the first few listens, but I love it now ... he's done better, but at least he hasn't become gone the way of Pop R&B artist like so many other rappers (Eminem among them) in recent times.
I can't even listen to Eminem's earlier work now, he's completely ruined himself.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

petemasterpete wrote:
hellboy wrote:Already listened to this. No comment...
sorry, dude, I think most of my planned picks I've lined up in my head are better suited to the "classic albums" chunk of this thread to be entirely honest.
I've got no problems with people picking albums I don't like. I only really posted to stop people bitching that I couldn't be bothered reviewing it.

For what it's worth, the rapping and lyrics do very little for me in hip hop. What keeps me listening to a hip hop act is the style and quality of the djing/sampling/musicians and to my ears this album (and all of Aesop stuff I've heard) has neither the style nor quality that appeals to me.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

That was interesting. I liked the music for the most part and he's a decent rapper (though his voice gets annoying at times). The first song was my favorite, though I found it pretty easy to hear the whole thing. Solid pick.

6/10
Hey! Denty!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Finally got through most of this (trying to hit the AOTW entries I missed). Not for me. There's plenty of Hip Hop I dig, but this doesn't do it. I don't like his voice or his style. I'll give None Shall Pass a try when I get a chance, just to see if that makes a difference.
Ki77aan :twisted:
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

Its good but it scared me shitless. Good beats, uneasy lyrics. 5.5/10
Ahhh, Infotainment!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Meh, not bad. Nothing really grabbed me about it.

5/10
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Cage, Aesop Rock and Sean Martin (of Hatebreed) making robots.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]