CAotW - Pantera - Vulgar display of poweR

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

CAotW - Pantera - Vulgar display of poweR

Post by not tyson »

This is the first heavy album I ever got into and after a life of getting Matchbox 20 and Live cd's for christmas this blew my teenage mind.

Still holds up today as one of the best metal albums ever made.

[youtube][/youtube]

Walk on, homeboy!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: CAotW - Pantera - Vulgar display of poweR

Post by hellboy »

I think my opinion on Pantera has been pretty well documented, so I might just sit this one out.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

2 brutal 4 u
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

I'm sitting on my hands and keeping tightly zipped.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote:2 brutal 4 u
Not really, Pantera have as much going for them as Slipknot. They pretty much appeal to the same demographic.
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Pantera sucks and why in the fuck is Tyson posting another Classic Album of the week? That cunt already had a go with his shit Kayne West pick.

Back to Pantera. I fucking HATE Pantera. Boring shit. Thankfully metal has evolved.

All that being said, I cannot deny that MANY people view Pantera as a cornerstone band in terms of metal and that this particular album does meet the criteria as a classic album. With that in mind, this is one of the more difficult albums to review in terms of separating the subjective from the objective. Did I already mention that I really HATE Pantera? But compared to many other albums out during that time in the metal genre, Vulgar display of power is one of the better releases. It is hailed as influential by many relevant metal bands to this day.

Subjective Score: 4 / 10 - Blah

Objective: 8 / 10
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

live queen anyone?
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

I bought this cd for my brother one christmas. I wasn't familiar with the band and I don't remember if he wanted it or why I bought this specific album, but my mother wouldn't let him keep it, so I kept it. I fell in love with album, especially "Walk".
MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

badkittygothgirl wrote:I bought this cd for my brother one christmas. I wasn't familiar with the band and I don't remember if he wanted it or why I bought this specific album, but my mother wouldn't let him keep it, so I kept it. I fell in love with album, especially "Walk".
What is your score woman? A review ain't complete without a score!

Nice to see your name around btw. Hope the holiday season finds you happy, healthy, and successful in all your endeavors in life.
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Hating on this album is like punching a puppy in the nose with a smile on your face ... if you're around and about the age range of 30-36 right now, and you don't respect this album and what it did for metal in the heyday of an MTV generation, you have a serious mental issue ... the chorus of 'this love' is absolutely classic metal and definitely 2 brutal 4 HB.

I do think Pantera is over-rated musically, but they absolutely were one of the premier metal acts of the time. While metalheads the world over were preparing to stuff their bras and buying new panties, whilst Metallica was writing that piece of fucking shit black album, Pantera was kicking in teeth.

I liked this record a lot more when I was younger than I do now, but it is classic.

7.5/10
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

It'd been a while since I heard this and I realized it perfectly encapsulates how I feel about Pantera: some cool stuff (Walk, This Love, Hollow) some tedious/annoying stuff (A New Level, Rise) and a whole lot of "meh" (rest of it). I don't dislike them but they just aren't my thing.

Pantera is one of those bands that you listen to their "Best of" and think "Wow that was awesome!" Then two weeks later you find yourself thinking "eh it's ok". Then hearing it pretty much never. (Yea that's what happened with me)

While there's no denying this album is certainly worthy of being CAOTW, it gets a 5/10 from me. Which isn't too bad considering I only really like 3 songs.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Kay-ot-ow
Don't mow your lawn
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Ravenpig wrote:It'd been a while since I heard this and I realized it perfectly encapsulates how I feel about Pantera: some cool stuff (Walk, This Love, Hollow) some tedious/annoying stuff (A New Level, Rise) and a whole lot of "meh" (rest of it). I don't dislike them but they just aren't my thing.

Pantera is one of those bands that you listen to their "Best of" and think "Wow that was awesome!" Then two weeks later you find yourself thinking "eh it's ok". Then hearing it pretty much never. (Yea that's what happened with me)

While there's no denying this album is certainly worthy of being CAOTW, it gets a 5/10 from me. Which isn't too bad considering I only really like 3 songs.
No Good (attack of the radical) and Regular people (Conceit) are some of the best tracks on the album, get fucked.

I'm not attacking your opinion (I totally am though) I just wanted to say those songs are great to me.

Also for further discussion, HB opinion that Slipknot = Pantera, 2 different genres of metal, Pantera are Groove metal.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

petemasterpete wrote:I do think Pantera is over-rated musically,
Uh what?

Some of the greatest guitar solo's = over-rated?

Also Phil in his prime is a god tier metal vocalist.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

Tyson, how anyone has anything negative to say about this album is beyond me. Vulgar Display Of Power changed the game, no one in the mainstream was putting out any music even remotely close to Pantera back then. Vision Of Disorder's demo in in 93' came close to the speed, vocals and brutality but they were super underground. this band had videos on MTV that made me want to kick Saddam Hussein in the face when I was 12. quick shout out to whoever put out those Operation Desert Storm playing cards back then. #popaganda
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.