Album of the Week: Oceansize - Effloresce

petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Album of the Week: Oceansize - Effloresce

Post by petemasterpete »

Changing it up a bit and sharing the full live version of this record from 1 of 3 gigs in 2008 which became a DVD of their entire full length catalog at the time. They played three nights, similar to what APC did, with each night focusing on each release with a couple bonus singles from EPs and such to close out the sets. It's a solid live set all in all, and one of my favorite live recordings packages to that I own. And although I dig the majority of their stuff, I find the official release of this record to be near perfect. Their drummer is fantastic and the three guitars are mostly brilliant in how they play off and around each other. For some, the singer will be a bit grating and even I'll admit that when I first started listening to them back in the early 00's, his voice was reminiscent of the dude from puddle of mud. I quickly got over that and I'm absolutely in love with this record. It's never far from regular rotation, if ever at all.

[youtube][/youtube]
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Re: Album of the Week: Oceansize - Effloresce

Post by not tyson »

Oceansize are great at what they do, they just never engaged me, there was always something missing.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

I'm absolutely in love with this record. It's never far from regular rotation, if ever at all

It's obvious we have nothing in common. Sometimes I think I'm on the wrong forum if this is the kind of thing folks here dig. And yes, I did listen to it.

*1/2

(out of a possible 5 stars)
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Calfium Jay wrote:Sometimes I think I'm on the wrong forum
Only sometimes?

Feed To Feed is the box set and it's killer. I even bought it despite the fact that it's only PAL, so I have to watch it on the computer vs my DVD/BluRay player. Kinda sucks, but it's worth it for this gem.

I am thoroughly bummed they broke up, especially before I had the chance to see them live. Great pick, Petey.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Also - I know you've heard Kong Pete, it's been posted on FourthEye plenty (maybe even by you?). But I haven't seen mention of British Theatre (maybe I missed it).

Thoughts?

http://britishtheatre.bandcamp.com/releases

I dig it mostly, but it's not Oceansize by a long shot.
Ki77aan :twisted:
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Oceansize are about as exciting to me as Karnivool. Thanks for keeping the Album of the Week alive though!
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Karnivool eh?!?

<makes mental note>
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Show me on the doll where Oceansize touched you, Jay.
Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

Oceansize - "serious", emotionally charged "thinking man's" post rock for some - fluffy, elevator muzak with power chords for the rest of us.

And I just checked out this "Karnivool" and....yeah.......

Calfium Jay
Queric

Post by Calfium Jay »

In all seriousness, it was all too "nice" for me. I do like that kind of thing but the way Oceansize did it just made it seem so "safe" and bland. There was no.....I dunno, nothing to really sink my teeth into. Nothing to make me sit up and take notice. I even went over to youtube and listen to a number of their studio recordings. But no, sorry I can't go any further with them.

Although appreciate the effort to try and introduce something new to the rest of us....

petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

Calfium Jay wrote:Oceansize - "serious", emotionally charged "thinking man's" post rock for some - fluffy, elevator muzak with power chords for the rest of us.

And I just checked out this "Karnivool" and....yeah.......
closer to shoegaze than post rock, I think, but it's all good, I hate genre titles anyhow. I don't think their groundbreaking by any means, I just find myself enjoying their tunes quite a bit as I think they write great songs that create a generally comfortable ambiance for me. Not complex, not overly challenging, but with a touch of sentiment not dissimilar to how/why a enjoy Chino's softer vocal delivery.

also, for the record, I absolutely loathe Karnivool ... one of the single most over-rated bands discussed at length on this forum.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining