Classic Album of the Week: King Crimson - Discipline

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Classic Album of the Week: King Crimson - Discipline

Post by hellboy »

This album should be quite familiar to most here I expect. For me, it's an album that just keeps on giving. Every listen makes this a better album. It's both relaxing and challenging at the same time. What are your favourite moments from the album?

Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Re: Classic Album of the Week: King Crimson - Discipline

Post by Calfium Jay »

Funnily enough I have never even heard this album! (or Beat for that matter either - now that I think about it).

Will listen later after work.....
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Sounds like they are ripping off Rush
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote:Sounds like they are ripping off Rush
It's possible, but since I can listen to this album with out wanting to kill the singer, I'm not so sure.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:This album should be quite familiar to most here I expect. For me, it's an album that just keeps on giving. Every listen makes this a better album. It's both relaxing and challenging at the same time. What are your favourite moments from the album?

Back when I was about 22, I got this album during my KC phase. I remember the first time I listened to it on my discman (!) whilst my girlfriend was watching something on TV. I used to play through an album twice the first time I got it, and found myself being soothed to a semi-doze during "The Sheltering Sky" both run-throughs.

It really is a great album, though maybe just a bit too over-rated compared to their other stuff. Maybe all the stuff I read about it before I got it made it a bit of a let-down for me, I don't know.

It's aged really well, too.

>inb4 TOOL ripped "The Sheltering Sky" and some other song on the album off.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Yeah, there's a bunch of Tool "rip-offs" right through the KC discography. I don't mind it too much when bands evolve other bands music, be it consciously or otherwise.

I think the album has aged well. It clearly sounds like the era it was recorded in, but doesn't come off as tacky compared to other recordings from the early 80s. There are a few moments where the proggy moments get a bit goofier than I like, but those aren't huge detractors for me.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

"THE POWER TO BELIEVE" will always be my favourite KC album. Weird, it was also my first.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.