CAOTW: Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

CAOTW: Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures

Post by hellboy »

There was plenty of hype back when Josh Homme, Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones got together to form this supergroup. For some (including myself) this album was a bit of a disappointment when it came out. I don't know why, but it just didn't resonate initially (though I did love the first single Mind Eraser).

Over the years however my appreciation for this album has grown, and now to the point where I dare nominate it for a Classic Album of the Week. It probably sits closer to QOTSA than Foo FIghters or Zeppelin. For me there's something about the riff writing, the rhythm and pulse of the album that just works. It has quite a dreamy feel in parts, not unlike some of the better moments of QOTSA's earlier albums, but also punches hard with off-kilter riffing in parts.

For those that haven't heard it before, I present a youtube link below. For those that have, or are reviewing it for the first time, let me know what you thoughts are - were you blown away? Were you disappointed?

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Re: CAOTW: Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:There was plenty of hype back when Josh Homme, Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones got together to form this supergroup. For some (including myself) this album was a bit of a disappointment when it came out. I don't know why, but it just didn't resonate initially (though I did love the first single Mind Eraser).

Over the years however my appreciation for this album has grown, and now to the point where I dare nominate it for a Classic Album of the Week. It probably sits closer to QOTSA than Foo FIghters or Zeppelin. For me there's something about the riff writing, the rhythm and pulse of the album that just works. It has quite a dreamy feel in parts, not unlike some of the better moments of QOTSA's earlier albums, but also punches hard with off-kilter riffing in parts.

For those that haven't heard it before, I present a youtube link below. For those that have, or are reviewing it for the first time, let me know what you thoughts are - were you blown away? Were you disappointed?

This cannot in any conceivable way qualify as "Classic" in any sense. For a start, I downloaded it when it first came out. Pretty hard to do that if it came from the classic era.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Let's not get into the whole "classic" argument again.

viewtopic.php?p=34030#p34030
N.Y.H.C. wrote:
hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote:I got it. Not sure why it's so hard for other people to get. It's "classic" in the sense that we, specifically as FE members, would have heard it and consider it a "classic".

For example, ISIS "OCEANIC" would be considered "classic" here, but certainly not anywhere else.
The Boss gets it.
the boss got it.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Sure, but it still doesn't apply to this album. You've almost assumed outright that not many people have heard it, let alone consider it a classic in their eyes.

I can barely remember a single riff, for example, and yet I would agree on what this community considers to be "classic" (e.g. the aforementioned "OCEANIC", "IN UTERO", "RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE", etc).
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Whatever, it's "classic" if you want it to be. I completely disagree, but that doesn't matter. The point is, this album held my attention for a solid hour a few years ago and I haven't revisited it since.

Unrateable, in that it truly matters that little to me.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:You've almost assumed outright that not many people have heard it, let alone consider it a classic in their eyes.
That assumption is yours, not mine. Thanks for your review.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote:You've almost assumed outright that not many people have heard it, let alone consider it a classic in their eyes.
That assumption is yours, not mine. Thanks for your review.
No worries. Good luck getting this concept back on its feet.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

hellboy wrote:For those that have, or are reviewing it for the first time, let me know what you thoughts are - were you blown away? Were you disappointed?
<listens to hellboy's choice for 15 whole minutes>

I'm thinking I'd rather subject myself to the new U2 album, the "deliciously" titled Songs Of Innocence, than have to sit through that again.

Or get my foot caught in a fucking escalator. On purpose.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Thanks. Anyone want to do this seriously or should I just close the forum down?
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:Thanks. Anyone want to do this seriously or should I just close the forum down?
I did do it seriously. I was really looking forward to this album when it first came out, only to be incredibly let down. I don't know if it was a case of too many cooks in the kitchen, or the talent simply wasn't there. Regardless, I'll be fucked if I'll bother to listen to it again, let alone accept it as a "classic".

And don't threaten to shut down the forum. That's akin to a kid saying that he'll take his ball and go home.

You've been on fire lately, by the way. Any other gems we can expect?
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

hellboy wrote:Thanks. Anyone want to do this seriously or should I just close the forum down?
:lol:

Uke's AOTW didn't even get one single fucking reply.

This concept is dead.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

I did do this seriously. And I seriously disliked it.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

I wish I had more to add, HB, but you pretty much summed it up. Initially I just considered it a typical super group not entirely adding up to the sum of its' parts. And in parts I still do, but there are some solid tunes that have really grown on me. It doesn't hurt that I find Josh's lyrics quite witty at times, equally dark in others and his general ability to twist grammar upside down and reverse puns is quite entertaining to my simple mind. No surprise that No One Loves Me, Mind Eraser and Gunman are the standouts for me in that regard.

I'm also a bit slanted cause I got to see them live and watch Dave do what he does best.

Difficult to say this is 'classic' in a classic sense, as an individual album, but it's certainly classic with respect to the individual players. Granted some parts still miss the mark with me (admittedly fewer as times gone by), the album, as a whole is quality. I rarely find myself seeking it out specifically, but if it does come on, I'm not likely to go out of my way to change it.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I heard this album a bunch of times when it came out. I tried to like it I wanted to like it. I like the people involved sans Homme, nothing against him he just does nothing for me.

Other than the first song and parts of others here send there, it didn't do much for me. I don't think it sucked but it ended up feeling pretty bland.

To be fair, HB's comment about it sounding more like QOTSA than anything may have hit the nail on the head for me. QOTSA generally has done nothing for me (last album was ok).

5/10
Hey! Denty!
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

It's not a horrible album by any means. I think when we hear the term "supergroup" we expect this masterpiece. They are still just 3 dudes jammin making tunes. I think it's good for what it is. When it passes through on random I definitely do not skip. Homme is douche no doubt, but he is a talented musician. I'll still take Kyuss any day of the fucking week when it comes to his work. As I would choose Zeppelin for JPJ.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I'm in the same camp as Hellboy and Pete. I was pretty disappointed when I first heard it because it did sound a bit too much like QOTSA, but it's grown on me since. It's a solid rock album with some pretty good tunes here and there. Elephants, Gunman, and Mind Eraser were some of the standout tracks. This is actually one of those albums where I feel like my appreciation for it came from listening to the songs when they came up in a shuffled rather than just listening to the album. When the songs were divorced from the context of the album I started to appreciate them more.
Don't mow your lawn
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

You like the album more when it's not in album form? That's not weird.
Hey! Denty!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Ravenpig wrote:You like the album more when it's not in album form? That's not weird.
My appreciation for the album came from listening to the songs individually as opposed to listening to it as a whole. It's more like I didn't care for the album originally but by listening to the songs individually I came to appreciate it more.

Something like that.
Don't mow your lawn
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I totally get that UKE, happens to me as well. Hearing a tune on its own has more than once sparked my interest in an album I had mostly dismissed.

That wasn't the case with this one though. For me, I didn't have a whole lot of time listening to the album before I saw them live and that gave me a great appreciation for the tunes after the performance. They were great live.

I wouldn't put this in the Classic category, but who really cares? It's a good album, not a great one. Going to listen to it again now...
Ki77aan :twisted:
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

I would have loved to see these guys perform as a band, and yes Homme puts the biggest stamp on their sound but being such a fan of his that was a positive for me. A solid album and one that still gets a return play.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
isak
Maynard Believer

Post by isak »

Ravenpig wrote:I heard this album a bunch of times when it came out. I tried to like it I wanted to like it. I like the people involved sans Homme, nothing against him he just does nothing for me.
Major disappointment for me. Tried & wanted to like but it gave me nothing. Very mediocre in my opinion. Thought it would make more sense after seeing them live but it just validated my initial impression. Thought they were very overrated to be honest although I suspect I was in the minority, as with my opinion of the album.

Perhaps it is my psyche longing for Homme to actually make music that appears like he's making an effort like the Kyuss days. I know he is focussing more on the emotive & lyrical side but to me even though he should be considered a musical genius, just can't help but think he's playing well within himself & knows whatever he releases will be adopted by most as being brilliant. I suppose it's a just an indication of his success thus far & feels he doesn't have to prove himself anymore.

Classic album? It's a no from me as it doesn't come close to any of his other releases, namely Blues for the Red Sun, Welcome to Sky Valley or even self titled qotsa album.

As an aside (& to avoid hijacking too much) while talking about disappointments, felt Baroness' latest effort - Yellow & Green - was even bigger! Again probably in the minority here but such a letdown for me. Sadly they haven't progressed since the Red Album in what I think should also be a considered classic album.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

isak wrote:

Perhaps it is my psyche longing for Homme to actually make music that appears like he's making an effort like the Kyuss days. I know he is focussing more on the emotive & lyrical side but to me even though he should be considered a musical genius, just can't help but think he's playing well within himself & knows whatever he releases will be adopted by most as being brilliant. I suppose it's a just an indication of his success thus far & feels he doesn't have to prove himself anymore.
Oh seriously. Like Clockwork is one of his best works to date.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

isak wrote:
Major disappointment for me. Tried & wanted to like but it gave me nothing. Very mediocre in my opinion. Thought it would make more sense after seeing them live but it just validated my initial impression. Thought they were very overrated to be honest although I suspect I was in the minority, as with my opinion of the album. .
That's pretty much how I felt about the album at the beginning. It's only really been in the last year that I've come to appreciate it on a different level. I don't think it's an album which satisfies people who want immediate gratification.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Or maybe it just isn't very good.
Hey! Denty!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig wrote:Or maybe it just isn't very good.
Well, I like it so it can't be that.