October 2014 Musical Review

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

October 2014 Musical Review

Post by hellboy »

It's that time of the month again. No, not that time - the time I get lambasted for my taste in music! October was another busy month, and many of these albums haven't been listened too properly, but fuck it I'm reviewing them anyway!

Karma To Burn - Arch Stanton Enjoyable instrumental rock. Who knows how good they could be if they had a singer. Not as good as some of their older stuff though. 7/10

Robert Plant & The Sensational Space Shifters - Lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar Lots of prog-lite, folky, rocky stuff from the Led Zep singer. Not band, but a little forgettable as well. 6/10

Slapshot - Slapshot Hardcore-ish punk. I think these guys have been around for a while. The 13 year old in me really likes the track "Fuck it" where he says "fuck it" a lot. 7/10

Twilight - III: Beneath Tridents Tomb Haven't really listened to this much. My impression is that it's sonically deep, but but doesn't really have strong enough songwriting to compell me to listen further. 5/10

Decapitated - Blood Mantra Solid death metal album in a year full of solid death metal albums. 7/10

Electric Wizard - Time To Die Didn't have high expectations of this album, but it was better than I thought it was gonna be. Sounds a bit like balls though compared to Dopethrone. 7/10

Philm - Fire From The Evening Sun Dave Lombardo's current band (excluding Fantomas). I really liked their first album, and I think it may have made my best of list a couple of years ago. This album is more of the same, and I was equally impressed. 8/10

Sick of it All - Last Act of Defiance These guys have released pretty much the same album for the last 20 years. No surprises here. 6/10

Killitorous - Party, Grind Downloaded this because it had cool track names like "George Costanza's Father's Son". Wasn't really worth the effort though. 3/10

Neil Young - Mirror Ball Downloaded a couple of Young albums after watching a Crazy Horse documentary on Netflix last month. This is the one with Pearl Jam in case you forgot. I remember being terribly bored with this as a younger man, but as an almost 40 year old I dug it. Maybe I'm finally getting old enough to appreciate Neil? 7/10

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Broken Arrow Better than that Pearl Jam one, but I don't give half points and it's not an 8. 7/10

Thom Yorke - Tomorrow's Modern Boxes Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. 3/10

Witch Mountain - Mobile of Angels Doomy stonery rock with a female on vocals. I didn't mind it, but I suspect many won't get past the vocals. 7/10

Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire First four tracks were great, but it really petered out after that. I think they probably should have just released a second EP. 6/10

King Tuff - Black Moon Spell Retroish indie rock. Just couldn't get into it. 4/10

Prince - Art Official Age Prince knows how to right, and is a great musician, but I found much of the keyboards/samples far too tacky to really enjoy this. 4/10

Prince & 3RDEYEGIRL- PlectrumElectrum I have no idea who 3RDEYEGIRL is, but this album doesn't seem to suggest she(he?)'s some kind of Tool fanboi. More of a rock album than the other Prince album, and I enjoyed it more. 6/10

Single Mothers - Negative Qualities Catchy punk, more of the rock variety than the hardcore. 7/10

Scott Walker + Sunn O)))) - Soused Can't see myself listening to this a second time. 3/10

Torch Runner - Endless Nothing Cool power violence/grind album. You know you want it. 7/10

Inter Arma - The Cavern About 15 minutes in and I thought I was going to fall asleep. It got better after than point with a wanky guitar solo. It had a few nice moments through out the rest of the one track album, but a little meh to me. 6/10

Exodus - Blood In Blood Out Do you like trash metal? Do you like terrible vocals? Do you like the idea of a track featuring Kirk Hammett? If so then this is the album for you! I don't like all of those things, but though this was a pretty decent album. 7/10

Primus & the Chocolate Factory with the Fungi Ensemble Interesting concept album, I suspect they do the source material justice, but who really remembers the music from the movie? I don't (not that I've seen the movie in the last 20 years) however I did enjoy the Oompa Loompa tracks for some reason. 5/10

Revocation - Deathless I only listened to this once, and it sounds like every other Revocation album. No wonder UKE loves it! 6/10

Orange Goblin - Back From The Abyss Fun times with stoner rock. Sound a bit like Karma To Burn but with vocals. If you like stoner, you'll like this I suspect, but don't expect anything ground breaking. 7/10

The Melvins - Hold It In I can't remember where we are on the Melvins Good/Meh album cycle. This one falls on the good side though. Much more of a Melvins/Surfers mix than I was expecting 7/10

Jakob - Sines I should like Jakob more than I do, but they keep reminding me why I find post-rock a little tiresome. 5/10

Pere Ubu - Carnival of Souls Nice experimental rock album from these veterans. Would listen again. 7/10

Rancid - Honor Is All We Know All I know is I keep looking for a reason as to why these guys are held in high esteem by some. This album had no answers. 2/10

Coming up next month Kayo Dot, Dope Body, Alpha Male Tea Party, Blood Freak, Cavalera Conspiracy, Daniel Lanois, Empty Yard Experiment, Mariachi El Bronx, Necrophagia and a bunch of other shit I grabbed on a recent what.cd freeleech.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Re: October 2014 Musical Review

Post by not tyson »

You didn't score Primus.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Fixed!
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I should check out that Orange Goblin album. I liked their last one.

Deathless - Revocation: Revocation's most cohesive album to date. Maybe not their best but there are some excellent moments on this album. I'm looking forward to their future work. 8/10

Hold It In - Melvins: Can't disagree with what Hellboy said. Solid album. I enjoyed listening to it. 7.5/10

Obsolescence - Abysmal Dawn: Rock-solid modern death metal. Abysmal Dawn haven't reinvented the wheel but they certainly know how to use it. Could use a few more listens but right now 8/10

An Unending Pathway - Atriarch: I've seen this album described as death rock meets doom metal. A better description is boring. When the pace picks up this album actually started to gets interesting. Too bad that only like 5 minutes of the entire album. The drums are actually pretty good throughout the whole album so that bumps it up a point. 5/10

A Skeletal Domain - Cannibal Corpse: This was the first Cannibal Corpse album I've heard so I don't know how it ranks against other Corpse albums, but I enjoyed it. It's a solidly enjoyable listen. 7/10

Path Of Totality - Tombs: Got an urge to check out some Tombs. I looked into this album a few years ago and decided it wasn't for me. Need to go back and check out some of their earlier work. 8/10

Savage Gold - Tombs: Not quite as good as Path of Totality but still a solid listen. 7.5/10

Monolith -Sylosis: Really enjoyable modern thrash metal album. I really enjoyed this one and am looking forward to the next one. 8/10

Filosofem - Burzum: Great album. The second half is less interesting than the first half but still overall it's a good album. 9/10

Vol X - Trans Am: I dug this album the first time but was slightly less enamored with it the second time. Haven't listened to it since. It's somewhere between a 6 and a 7 so 6.5/10

The Sound Of Perseverance - Death: Good album. Not quite as good as Symbolic, but better than Human and Individual Thought Processes, so the second best Death album I've heard. 8/10

III - Spectral Lore: Progressive black metal album from Greece. Didn't make it all the way through this one but I've been really meaning to get back to it. The few tracks I heard were really good outside of the programmed drums which were alright but... No rating for this one, but from what I heard I'd recommend it. I think a lot of people here will dig it.
Don't mow your lawn
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Oh also:

Ophiuchus Butterfly - Liberty Ellman: An experimental jazz album, I guess. Not too bad but suffers a bit from being a bit too intellectual. It's almost always interesting, but not always enjoyable. That said, it is still mostly enjoyable. 7/10
Don't mow your lawn
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Twilight - III: Beneath Tridents Tomb - More "noise rock" than black metal but I for one am not complaining. Absolute stunner from black metal / noise rock supergroup. Far exceeded my expectations - however could have been a tad longer. That's a small complaint though. This one comes highly recommended. And those vocal hooks in Oh Wretched Son!!! :shock:

Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire - apart from first two tracks which were borderline demo quality, this one is an absolute gun!!! Obeyed and Carrion are instant bona-fide Godflesh classics. Hopefully this is just the start of a new Renaissance of sorts for this grim as all fuck duo. Can't wait to see them in February.

Prince - Art Official Age - Best Prince album hands down since Love Symbol in 1992. Welcome back you sexy, hairy little beast of a man, you!

Scott Walker + Sunn O)))) - Soused - It's album of the year hands down for me. I won't review this right now as I'll be at the keyboard for the next half an hour or so. But I loves it. Dark, brooding, weird, triumphant. It's as bonkers as all get out however still manages a subtle cohesiveness that was lacking somewhat in Bish Bosch. And this is far better than the recent Sunn O))) / Ulver collaboration. I think these guys may have struck paydirt by teaming up together and I'd pay good money to have them do it again. Fuck all non believers.

The Melvins - Hold It In - doesn't hold a candle to Tres Cabrones (the greatest Melvins album since The Maggot btw) . However first couple of tracks are excellent as is the rather groovy Paul Leary sung Eyes On You. Most of it is forgettable silliness though and I too often found my attention wavering. I would liked to have seen Gibby get in on the mix here....
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris