February 2015 Musical Review

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

February 2015 Musical Review

Post by hellboy »

Haven't done one of these in a while, as life has been pretty busy the last few months. But in order to catch up, here's a review of what I've listened to since roughly December 2014:

Soen - Tellurian Prog metal that some Tool fans seem to recommend. If you like Karnivool and such you'd probably like them. I find them a little forgettable. 6/10

TV On The Radio - Seeds Seemed to be plenty of positive reviews of this, I found it a little bland and not really one of their better albums. 6/10

AC/DC - Rock or Bust Sounds exactly as you'd expect, though I would say that the last album was a little better. 5/10

Cripple Bastards - Nero In Metastasi Italian? punk/power violence. Not bad, but not amazing either. 6/10

Faith No More - Motherfucker/Super Hero Probably been reviewed to death in the other thread. I think both of these tracks are ok, but really hope there is some better stuff on the album. If this is the best they've got then I think Sol Invitcus will be disappointing. 7/10

Two Inch Astronaut - Foulbrood Grungeish a slightly math rocky. Wasn't bad, but wasn't amazing either. Probably could do with a few more listens 6/10

Anti Ritual - Anti Ritual Solid metal album. I need to listen to this a few more times. 7/10

Lo-Pan - Colossus Stoner rock type stuff. I find the vocals mildly annoying, but otherwise it's ok. Nothing new to see here either, kinda by the numbers album. 6/10

Nux Vomica - Nux Vomica Blackened metal with a some black metal and punk influences here and there. Pretty decent though the songs are kinda long (there's three 10-20 minute tracks). 7/10

Tombs - Savage Gold Not much to say on this. Twas ok.

Trap Them - Blissfucker Metally punk not unlike Enabler and Converge. Pretty good album and probably in my top 20 for 2014 to be honest. 8/10

Trudger - Dormiveglia Stoner metal with death metal style vocals. Kinda like Doom but not as slow. Enjoyable listen. 7/10

ACxDC - Antichrist Demoncore Best grind album of 2014. 9/10

Cretin - Stranger Nice thrash/death metal album. Should be in my "listen to more" list. 7/10 but possibly and 8.

Primitive Man/Fister - Split Primitive Man are ok, and I've never heard of Fister before. Turns out they're doom-y metal. I enjoyed the Fister stuff more than the PM stuff, but wasn't fantastic split imo. 6/10

John Zorn - The Song Project Contemporary rock stuff with Mike Patton and Zorn's usual cast of musicians. Easy listening, but a few more dull moments than I'd like. 6/10

Nero di Marte - Derivae Interesting release, doomy in parts, proggy and math rockish in others. If you like your prog heavy as fuck then you'd dig this. 8/10

OFF! - Wasted Years Pretty fun punk album from the ageing rockers. 7/10

The Occupants - Hindsight Pretty disappointing to be honest. 5/10

The Smashing Pumpkins - Monuments To An Elegy Monuments to an ego more like it. 3/10

John Zorn - The Last Judgement Followup to the Templars album from 2013? Mike Patton, Trevor Dunn feature. It's a solid followup but lacking some of the magic of the first. 7/10

Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2 I don't listen to much hip hop, so take this opinion as you will. I enjoyed it, but at the same time don't feel compelled to ever listen to this again. 6/10

Seven Sisters of Sleep - Seven Sisters of Sleep Not sure why I downloaded this, but it was a good listen. Fuzzy screamy metal. 7/10

Yautja - Songs of Descent Pretty good rock/metal album. Plenty of catchy riffs. 8/10

65daysofstatic - Wild Light I quite enjoyed this album, which is more than I can say of most instrumental post-rock. I was planning to see them when they played as part of the Adelaide Festival, but I don't think that'll be happening. 8/10

Sylosis - Dormant Heart One of the first 2015 albums I listened to, and was impressed with the first few listens. Excellent metal band. 8/10

Demdike Stare - Testpressing:#007 Enjoyed their last few, but found this a bit meh to be honest. A band that needs to be appreciated live. 5/10

Marilyn Manson - The Pale Emperor Manson released one good album, but for now the crap continues. 2/10

Napalm Death - Apex Predator - Easy Meat Napalm Death haven't released anything amazing for years now, but at the same time haven't really released a poor album either. Consistent is a good title for these guys. 8/10

Pond - Man It Feels Like Space Again Not worth the listen. 3/10

Raised Fist - From the North I should have known better than to download this. 4/10

Rishloo - Living As Ghosts With Buildings As Teeth Terrible band and album name. I listened to this because it got quite a few votes in the best of 2014 readers poll. It's actually not a bad album despite the name. 7/10

Sleater-Kinney - No Cities To Love Never had a huge love for these guys (girls?) in the first place, but sound like a 90s band who probably should have stayed there. 5/10

Bjork - Vulnicura Never been a massive Bjork fan to be honest - each of her albums I found 2-3 tracks I quite like and the rest a bit bland. This album is no exception. Would see live though. 6/10

tetema - Geocidial Project with Mike Patton and some other dude I know nothing about. Somewhat experimental noise electronic type stuff. Not bad, but probably a reason why it hasn't attracted as much hype as Patton usually does. 6/10

Madness - Total Madness Welcome to the House of Fun. 8/10

Xibalba - Tierra Y Libertad Not sure where these guys come from, but if you imagine Sepultura then you're on the right track. Pretty good, though nothing original to see here. 7/10

Sumac - The Deal Some kind of supergroup from memory. Album isn't so super, seems like I've heard this all before. 6/10
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Re: February 2015 Musical Review

Post by petemasterpete »

"Seven Sisters of Sleep - Seven Sisters of Sleep Not sure why I downloaded this, but it was a good listen. Fuzzy screamy metal. 7/10"

cause I told you to ... it's a pretty good listen

"Nero di Marte - Derivae Interesting release, doomy in parts, proggy and math rockish in others. If you like your prog heavy as fuck then you'd dig this. 8/10"

you told me about this one ... was a good listen from memory

"John Zorn - The Last Judgement Followup to the Templars album from 2013? Mike Patton, Trevor Dunn feature. It's a solid followup but lacking some of the magic of the first. 7/10"

last minute No. 11 addition to my top ten from last year as I listened to it after posting mine ... some really enjoyable parts

"Sumac - The Deal Some kind of supergroup from memory. Album isn't so super, seems like I've heard this all before. 6/10"

Ape of God this is not ... having been so wrapped up in the most recent OMG release, this was quite disappointing

"Bjork - Vulnicura Never been a massive Bjork fan to be honest - each of her albums I found 2-3 tracks I quite like and the rest a bit bland. This album is no exception. Would see live though. 6/10"

haven't given this an entirely proper listen as yet, but should. I think I respect her as an artist more these days than the amount I actually enjoy her music anymore.

"Tombs - Savage Gold Not much to say on this. Twas ok."

I don't particularly care for this band ... not bad, but there's something lacking in the end product. This record didn't change that for me.

"Xibalba - Tierra Y Libertad Not sure where these guys come from, but if you imagine Sepultura then you're on the right track. Pretty good, though nothing original to see here. 7/10"

Got a mate that loves this band ... I probably should get around to listening to them.

Similarly, I haven't listened to much new realease stuff of late ... had what seemed like a whirlwind 2 month listening party over the last couple months of 2014 and haven't quite recovered ... that matched with similarly busy times of late.
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
basejumper
Droner

Re: February 2015 Musical Review

Post by basejumper »

-
Missed your review Hellboy. Damn, how did I not know Sleater Kinney put out a new album? Must have been the 10 year Toolesque hiatus. Good to hear them back at it.
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Professor of Lesbian Science