November 2013 Musical Review

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

November 2013 Musical Review

Post by hellboy »

Time for another review thread. November was a busy month for me, since I was away for a couple of weeks, and had more albums to listen to than usual due to some What.cd staff picks. Anyway, here we go!

Elastica - Elastica Femme Britpoppers with an ok but not amazing album 6/10
Lead Into Gold - Age of Reason From memory this is an album with some dude from Ministry in it. Either way it was pretty good. 8/10
The National - Cherry Tree I listened to their latest earlier this year and quite enjoyed a band I'd otherwise skipped over. When this came up on What.cd I decided to give it a shot. Not bad, but not brilliant. 6/10
Earthless - From The Ages Good enough I decided to add it to the Album of the Week program. 8/10
Surgeon - Surgeon An inustrmental prog rock album I picked up on what.cd. Interesting in parts but a little forgettable. 6/10
Ayurveda - Being Apparently an Australia band who do a similar lite prog rock thing to Tool. Vocals are a little grating a times, but overall I thought this was a decent album. 7/10
Jethro Tull - This As A Brick I have some memories of listening to this with my old man. When I saw it on what.cd I went to give it a try once more. Great album, especially the first half. 8/10
Lou Reed - Transformer RIP. Good to revisit this classic. 9/10
The Fall - Extricate Never really listened to this band before. I enjoyed the album enough that I want to listen to it more. For now I'll go with 7/10
Warning - Watching From A Distance A droney heavy almost post rock album with unusual sombre sounding vocals. 6/10
Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear The Reaper: The Best of Blue Oyster Cult One hit wonder has a couple of other decent tracks, but largely a lot of filler. 5/10
A Perfect Circle - Three Sixty A decent quality recording I guess, but eMotive really drained any excitement I have for APC these days. 5/10
The Misfits - American Psycho Another one I picked up on what.cd. Generally boring. 4/10
Big Business - Battlefields Forever Four great tracks and a bunch of uninteresting ones. So like most other BB albums then. 6/10
Black Widow - Sacrifice Satanic Prog Rock Band. Enjoyable 70s fun. 7/10
Cave - Threace 2013 has been a good one for psych rock. This album is great as well. 8/10
Death Grips - Government Plates Their first album was great but now they're just churning out shit. Time to move on. 3/10
Graveyard - Lights Out Hard rock band from Sweden. Ok album, but nothing great here. 6/10
Khanate - Clean Hands Go Foul Thought I'd give these guys another chance. It didn't really work. 4/10
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas Classic Black Metal, but I've heard better. 7/10
Nurse With Wound - Salt Marie Celeste Playing at the Unsound Festival here in March, so thought I'd take a listen. Verdict is still out on whether I'll go, though at this time it's more of a financial issue than a concern about how good the music will be. 6/10
Orthrelm - OV I thought in general this was quite interesting, but listening to 45 minutes of largely the same shit gets tiring. 5/10
Take Over And Destroy - Endless Night Have no idea why I downloaded this. Largely uninteresting heavy rock/metal. 5/10
Puscifer - What Is... Puscifer Haven't seen the DVD yet, but this live recording of them is pretty good and captures their show well. A little sad that I find Puscifer more interesting than APC at this point in time. 7/10
Foetus - Soak Noticed the other day that there was a new Foetus album out. Only listened to it once but first impressions were good. 7/10 for now
Lizzard Wizzard - Lizzard Wizzard Doomy Stoner Rock from somewhere in Oz. Not bad, but don't expect anything original or groundbreaking. 6/10
Secret Chiefs 3 - Book of Souls: Folio A Never been a huge SC3 fan tbh. Only listened to it once but it's probably my favorite SC3 album for now. 7/10
The Police - Synchronicity As per listeners club review: Not their greatest hour. 5/10
The Police - Outlandos d'Amour Their greatest hour. 8/10
Nick Cave & The Band Seeds - Live from KCRW As boring as their last album. 5/10
Totally Unicorn - Together Alone Metal/Punk from the 'Gong. Not bad, not great much better live than on record. 6/10

Thanks for reading!
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Re: November 2013 Musical Review

Post by not tyson »

hellboy wrote: Death Grips - Government Plates Their first album was great but now they're just churning out shit. Time to move on. 3/10

Also Nurse with Wounds quintessential album for me is Homotopy to Marie, one of the only albums that has actually elicited a feeling of dread from me. A great piece of art.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: November 2013 Musical Review

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote:
Also Nurse with Wounds quintessential album for me is Homotopy to Marie, one of the only albums that has actually elicited a feeling of dread from me. A great piece of art.
Thanks for the recommendation - I'll check it out.
Edit: And it's freeleech as well - bonus!