April 2014 Musical Review

hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

April 2014 Musical Review

Post by hellboy »

I haven't done one of these for a while (all of 2014 in fact) but rather than outline everything I've listened to so far this year, I'm just doing April. Enjoy!

Animals As Leaders - The Joy of Motion A nice improvement on their previous work. Despite all their great musicianship I don't feel much while listening to the music though. 7/10

Helms Alee - Sleepwalking Sailors I should listen to this album some more, in fact I hardly even remember listening to it in the first place. Reminds me a Kylesa a bit, but not as good. Go with a 6/10 at the moment.

La Dispute - Rooms of the House I really liked the last album from this emo/punk band. This one I found pretty forgettable. 4/10

The Melvins - Live At Third Man Records The Melvins, so can't really go too far wrong. It sounds just like them, but live. 7/10

Perfect Pussy - Say Yes To Love Say no to hype! Lo-fi girly punk that misses the mark 4/10

Ume - Monuments Not really sure how to describe this album. A bit like psych rock with female vocals. I enjoyed it, but is on my "needs more listens" list. 7/10

Kaiser Chiefs - Education, Education, Education & War I have fond memories of some of their older work, this album wasn't much chop though. I really liked a couple of tracks thought. 6/10

Liars - Mess Interesting album, good in parts but a little bland in others. Probably a good one for Mog's headphones thread. 6/10

Steel Panther - All You Can Eat First impression of this album was that it's their weakest by a long way. After further listening, I think it's pretty good, but still their worst album. 8/10

Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else Ok, if somewhat generic indie rock album. 6/10

Band of Skulls - Himalayan More indie rock, a little more psychadelic this time. I think it's better than Cloud Nothings, but I'm also going to give it 6/10

Iron Reagan - Spoiled Identity EP 13 tracks in under 5 minutes. Punky thrash metal from the singer in Municipal Waste. Not to everyone's taste here I know, but I'd give it 8/10

Ritual Harm - Nothing Is Beautiful / Everything Hurts Power violence that I found on a compilation I listened to. Short, sharp and sweet. 7/10

Pixies - Indie Cindy Getting a bit of a bad rep in the press, but I thought it was a ok album. 6/10

The Faint - Doom Abuse Electro-punk. Needs further listens but first impressions were good. 7/10

Idylls - Prayer For Terrene Mathcore punk type band from somewhere in Australia I believe. I think I've seen them live before. Good stuff if you enjoy the genre. 7/10

Skinfather - None Will Mourn Pretty awesome death metal/thrash album. UKE would dig it. 8/10

Fennesz - Becs Meh, can't see me listening to this again. 5/10

King Parrot - Bite Your Head Off Thought I should check oput this aussie grind band. Good, though not amazing stuff 7/10

Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry Sadly, the only good tracks on this album were the two I'd already heard. 4/10

Supergrass - I Should Coco Decent britpop album I never got around to checking out. 7/10

Various Artists - In Utero, in Tribute, in Entirety In Utero tribute featuring and range of indie artists. Like most tributes, a couple of tracks are interesting interpretations, while the majority are just straight up covers. 6/10
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Re: April 2014 Musical Review

Post by petemasterpete »

I'm requesting the previous months
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Maybe, if I can be bothered
petemasterpete
Lunchinator
Height: 7" (limp)

Post by petemasterpete »

be bothered ... I've been out of the loop for a bit here
well piss on my tits and tell me it's raining
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy wrote:Skinfather - None Will Mourn Pretty awesome death metal/thrash album. UKE would dig it. 8/10
Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely check it out.
Don't mow your lawn