Star Wars Hype Train (SPOILERS - Beware!!!)

Movies, TV and other video based media
the chill
Duck Hater

Re: Star Wars Hype Train

Post by the chill »

Oh man the hype is real!!! Seeing all the people on Twitter that saw the premiere saying amazing things about it got me even more stoked! Seeing it on Thursday night!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Hmmm, alot of hype, fell a bit flat for me. Wasn't terrible and had a few surprises and action scenes but lacked a fair bit of cohesion and just I dunno. Have really enjoyed ep vii & rogue 1 but this one.... be interesting to hear other peoples thoughts.
Listen to All Them Witches
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Busty McCracken wrote:Hmmm, alot of hype, fell a bit flat for me. Wasn't terrible and had a few surprises and action scenes but lacked a fair bit of cohesion and just I dunno. Have really enjoyed ep vii & rogue 1 but this one.... be interesting to hear other peoples thoughts.
WIll be seeing it tomorrow morning. Heard similar reports from others. I'm still excited, so we'll see!
264zn
Phony

Post by 264zn »

I'm not gonna say it fell flat - but the story wasn't quite as rich and intriguing as the last installment.

However you certainly feel like you travel to a galaxy far far away and it feels like a true epic. Don't think I'll bother seeing it again on the big screen, but will look forward to a re-watch in a few months time at home.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Guy I spoke to at work said he thought the movie was great, not really disappointed in any meaningful way, but certainly felt that there were a few too many jokes that missed the mark, and a few story points that weren't really wrapped up to his satisfaction.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Yeah it was great in some parts but then others was just left a little wanting. I still enjoyed it just not as much as the last 2 and dont see it holding up to repeated views once the element of surprise is gone. Hope you all enjoy though
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

5/10, boring.
Disney is a pure evil. RIP Star Wars.
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Just got back from seeing it. While I didn't dislike it, it probably didn't live up to the hype it seems to be getting (in fairness it's hard to live up to the hype train around Star Wars these days). Plenty of good set pieces, but the story I felt was pretty forgettable and Luke's quote from the trailer "this will not go they way you think" in no way applies to the movie - it went almost exactly as I'd expected it.

The Force Awakens, for all it's flaws, was a better movie. I'd probably rate the Star Wars movies:
Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
The Force Awakens
Return of the Jedi
The Last Jedi
Rogue One
Revenge of the Sith
Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

7/10
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

WARNING SPOILER ALERT THOUGHT I WAS PUTTING IN SPOILER TAGS

Am surprised to see Rogue one so far down your list. For all it's flaws, all star wars fans i know, myself included rate it very highly.

I really think a 2nd watch will make my mind clearer on my thoughts but yeah it was pretty damn lackluster for me and all the questions i had from TFA were either swept under the carpet
► Show Spoiler
Ignored,
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Also last time im using spoilers in here. If you haven't seen the movie yet and are going into internet forum discussions about the movie it's really your own fault.

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I'd actually rate both Rogue One and TLJ about the same - I think 7/10 is accurate for both.

I'm really keen to watch it again, and perhaps gain a little more insight into the movie. The use of humour is my biggest gripe I think. There are plenty of times in the movie it had me chuckling, but too often they missed the mark, or really dragged me out of the moment.

I'd stress that 7/10 is still a decent rating, and I enjoyed both movies. I just don't think either are great movies, and both suffer quite a bit from pacing issues.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Re: Star Wars Hype Train (SPOILERS - Beware!!!)

Definitely have some pacing issues. I think they're suffering mostly from a clear direction where directors aren't provided a rough timeline of A to Z. It's like rian Johnston didn't like jjs interpretation and did his own thing which contradicted the original vision and has now left JJ back in a place to once again spend the movie trying to counter it's predecssor
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Eh...

Last hour was pretty good.

Middle section was..... :oops:

Gets off to a clunky, clumsy start. Not sure I'd use humor in a scene that early in the film.

Laura Dern looks and feels as if she had wandered in from the set of The Hunger Games.

Often felt too much like Star Trek and not Star Wars.

2 stars
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Absolutely loved it. Will likely end up my second favorite Star Wars film.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

As a child I loved the Star Wars movies because the characters in them hated sand as much as I did and I just find it hard to relate to these characters who keep their opinions on sand hidden.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

You'll be disappointed to hear that no sand references were heard in The Last Jedi
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

^^muahaha, best criticism of the movie I have seen. I loved it and it’s my 3rd or 4th favorite Star Wars movie now. Would elaborate more, but most of you didn’t enjoy so no point in posting it, lol.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

the chill wrote:Would elaborate more, but most of you didn’t enjoy so no point in posting it, lol.
"Didn't enjoy" is not correct. It was an enjoyable movie.

It just wasn't a great one. Unfortunately with criticism on the net these days, it's a common stance to assume someone who disagrees with you either "hates" or "loves" it, rather than just sees it as middle of the road.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

S'all about that milk, baby. That's when I knew I was in good hands.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Seems to be a very divisive star wars that's for sure. I know a few star wars nuts on every side of the fence from loving to hating where as myself am in the didn't hate it by any stretch, but didn't walk out loving it either.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

[youtube][/youtube]

REALLY spot on.
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Yeah, those guys pretty much nail it.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Ugh. I couldn't make it more than 10 minutes into that, and I usually love the Plinkett reviews. That is the epitome of the kind of nerd-whining that tries to make their petty gripes sound like objective-fact. To each their own, of course.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

joeypants wrote:Ugh. I couldn't make it more than 10 minutes into that, and I usually love the Plinkett reviews. That is the epitome of the kind of nerd-whining that tries to make their petty gripes sound like objective-fact. To each their own, of course.
Your interpretation of nerd-whining to some is valid criticism. I don't buy into all the complaints about the new movie, but there is still plenty about it that raises a solid WTF from me.
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

I thought it was great! It's kind of funny seeing a lot of the people who were excited about George becoming disassociated from the franchise now wishing it was back in his hands. I do think ultimately it was shitty for Disney to snub his outline, but it is what is. And after TFA, I enjoyed this one way more than I thought I would.

I'll say too that it makes me sad to see Mark Hamill not vibing with the direction they took with Luke and saying "Jedis wouldn't quit". But are they immune to PTSD and depression? I wouldn't think so. If I messed up the new Academy like he did, I'd probably back off from the Force too. With all the talk of Luke turning dark over the years, I thought the idea of him turning grey so to speak, conflicted by the dark and light, was a much more interesting way to go. And by giving himself up to the Force like he does at the end was a great redemption. By taking the time away from the fight, he ends up coming back with the right strategy to give the Resistance the best thing they could hope for: more of the Force on their side.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

limeygringo wrote:It's kind of funny seeing a lot of the people who were excited about George becoming disassociated from the franchise now wishing it was back in his hands
I'm not sure I've seen anyone say this. For all it's flaws, TLJ is still better than the prequels.