Tool - 04 March 2014 - Spokane Arena, Spokane, WA

Tool will be "touring" (well, playing one show in Mexico at time of writing) North America in March 2014.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Re: Tool - 4 March 2014 - Spokane Arena, Spokane, WA

Post by ziggy23 »

VIDEO:
► Show Spoiler
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Let's keep the thread on topic please. Show reviews and related discussion only please.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Concert review with video and pics:

http://concertconfessions.com/2014/03/t ... ashington/
rgardjr
My pain is just an excuse

Post by rgardjr »

My thoughts on the show if anyone gives a shit-this was my 10th one.

As you'd expect for the first show there were plenty of technical issues. First two songs vocals were as bad as I can remember. Maynard looked to be having issues with his monitor so I'm assuming that this caused/contributed this issue. I thought the vocals improved tremendously after Vicarious. Set list was vanilla. Issues with the level on the talk box during Jambi was another very noticeable problem. Maybe it was because of my seat location, but I noticed the processing on the vocals more this show than I ever have in the past. Just a thank you from Maynard and a single joke was all the interaction he provided. I'd never experienced the intermission countdown clock before (12 minute break). The rest of the guys were tight and other than the occasional level issue or effect not working I thought they sounded great. The drop down LED wall was a cool addition, but it was underwhelming compared to NIN's use of a similar setup. I'd have to put this show at the bottom of the shows that I've been to, but alot of that can be chocked up to it being the premiere show of the tour and the bugs hadn't been worked out of the system.
Last edited by hellboy on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoiler tags no longer required in this thread
rgardjr

Post by rgardjr »

Posters were $130 for signed and $30 unsigned. I didn't see any doodled posters for sale, but my guess is that the VIPs bought them if they were available since they got into the show before the rest of us.

nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Ettan wrote:Concert review with video and pics:

"Maynard had a tree air freshener hanging off his microphone stand and before Ænima said 'A friend of mine gave this to me, it’s new car scent, because some of y’all motherfuckers smell like shit, no offense.'"

Stay classy James.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Amusing little tidbits. If any of you show up here, thanks for posting on http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/2014 ... 29462.html Keep it coming.

ncast2523 about 9 hours ago
Maynard had a little tree air freshener hanging off his mic stand and before Aenima said "a friend of mine gave this to me, it's new car scent, because some of y'all motherfuckers smell like shit, no offense." He also included air freshener in the lyrics.

martonius about 9 hours ago
and where did the song fall which started with Adam playing the flute samples on the keyboard?

Gravatar by gravatar.com whitepony about 7 hours ago
and they didnt play the song "intermission." is was a standard intermission....though that would have been awesome.

Gravatar by gravatar.com leglessmoof about 3 hours ago
Setlist changed: View changes
ncast2523 27 minutes ago
White pony that was before intension.

@ Rgardjr - I agree, most of the issues were likely due to first show cobwebs. Sorry you had to deal with them, but glad they will have worked some of that out by the time they get to SF. Also, the "evolve" comment AND the fact they are doing back to back in SF only gives me a lot of hope for a surprise or two. We'll see, as they have certainly disappointed in the past... Still, I will never forget Jello in that checkerboard tux prancing around the stage to the opening strains of Holiday... one can hope.
Last edited by hellboy on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoiler tags no longer required in this thread
Ki77aan :twisted:
alicetooljam
Maynard Believer

Post by alicetooljam »

That hurts coming from Kanaduh...What are they thinking with this intermission countdown with lights on 6 songs in....not what I wanted to hear gearing up to drive 8+ hours for my 16th? show... :(
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

tl; dr

You've seen male flight attendants that aren't flamingly gay? They're like figure skaters- I think it's a foregone conclusion that they have to be that way.

Somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment but yeah, a lot of them are super fruity.
Generic triangle avatar lives on.
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

nxrm wrote:
Ettan wrote:Concert review with video and pics:

"Maynard had a tree air freshener hanging off his microphone stand and before Ænima said 'A friend of mine gave this to me, it’s new car scent, because some of y’all motherfuckers smell like shit, no offense.'"

Stay classy James.

Yeah, I don't normally give a shit what he has to say or dissect the "Maynardisms" but that was a dick head comment from him.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

@ Kanaduh - Thanks for the great write up. Looking forward to reading about the Portland show as well.

Regarding the Intermission Countdown Clock, the last two shows I saw were in July 2010 and I believe that's when I recall first seeing it.They used it during some of their 2013 tour as well. There are reviews out there that mention it.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I have heard Mike (Yob's vocalist) pronounce it as "Yob" (or Yawb) multiple times.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

joeypants wrote:I have heard Mike (Yob's vocalist) pronounce it as "Yob" (or Yawb) multiple times.
Yeah, like you should believe THAT guy!
blackandwhite
Maynard Believer

Post by blackandwhite »

I'm attending the Vegas show. God I hope the set list changes. I seen this same show 3x's in 2012 it would be nice to hear some different music by them. Anyone heard if this was the set set list for this tour or could there be changes?
Krazy_blah
Fornicraster

Post by Krazy_blah »

It's Tool- there might be 2-3 rotating songs. No one should be surprised by this.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Looks like some video props are being trotted out for the VIP guests as well:

Bill Dolphin
Maynard Believer

Re: General Tour Discussion Thread

Post by Bill Dolphin »

I don't know how interested anyone is in this, but I went to the Spokane show last night and wrote down the set list:
► Show Spoiler
Pretty solid concert, imo. I kept my expectations low, but they played really well. The arena's sound isn't the greatest, but they sounded really good except at the beginning of 46&2, everything was kind of mudded together. It took until Maynard started singing for me to even recognize what they were playing.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Are those seats 11 by 5?

So 55 people?
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

That's cool they brought out the music video props, adds a little something most people don't get to see.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote:Are those seats 11 by 5?

So 55 people?
Seems about right. 55 x $500 x 11 shows would put over $300k in the bank (less expenses of course).
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

So was there a Q&A then? Any news?
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

hellboy wrote:
Not Tyson wrote:Are those seats 11 by 5?

So 55 people?
Seems about right. 55 x $500 x 11 shows would put over $300k in the bank (less expenses of course).
Unfortunately (for me), Merch confirmed it's about 100 per as I mentioned elsewhere. I think that pic is showing HALF the seats. See the speaker? Likely one of a pair...

so $600K Holy Fuckin' Shit, we are the Hose'n ones.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote:So was there a Q&A then? Any news?
Sounds more or less the same as the Aussie ones but with the video props. The only question I've read about is someone asking Adam what he thought of Limp Bizkits Opiate cover.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

Someone who attended the VIP just posted this review to my fb TooL page and provided a few photos. Here is one of the VIP goodie bag and VIP poster.

I thought I might share a little of the VIP experience from last night’s show in Spokane. It was glorious, and it sucks that you didn’t get to live it with me. On the bright side, this gives me the chance to feel like I am more awesome than so many people that it isn’t funny. So there’s that…

I met up with Blake Redding and had a few drinks at the Viking, across the street from the Arena before standing in line for about 30-40 minutes before they let us in. Things were slightly delayed for the VIP experience. This was apparently due to the shipment that had all of the Tool memorabilia for our gift bags not showing up on time. I’m glad it was late. Their guilt ended up giving us more stuff (more on that in a minute).

After getting our VIP lanyards and some sexy red wristbands, we were ushered to a conference room, aptly called “The Champions Room.” We took our seats and spent some time talking among ourselves. I have to say that it impresses me how quickly die-hard Tool fans start talking like old friends. The excitement was on everyone’s faces and there was no way we could contain ourselves, even if it meant preaching to the choir.

Adam shows up, shyly peaking around the corner at us. His first act of the afternoon was to let us know how nervous he was. This was a great insight into how down to Earth he is. It is easy to forget that these rock gods are mortal men like you and I, but his honesty and friendliness were apparent from the start. Everything from this point will be paraphrased (as far as insights, questions and answers) since I’m not a fucking stenographer and couldn’t record it. The no camera thing is quite serious. Be sure to only bring your camera phone and take pictures only when they say it is okay. Not saying you can’t sneak a few covert shots (I know many did) but who knows when they would draw the line.

He started off giving us some insight into how some of the songs are written. Everyone brings their riffs into the loft, throws them around and then start plugging them together, experimenting with what sounds right. Things that sound shitty can end up sounding great, which gives everyone else ammunition for when their stuff gets rejected right out. It was fun listening to Adam talk about this creative process as being very organic and collaborative, a marriage of 4 very different egos, trying to make something new. During this discussion we got to hear Adam jam to Jambi with a click-track he had on his Iphone (the highlight of this bit, besides the intimate shredding of the guitar we were treated to, is when… I think… the phone fell off the chair and unplugged, mid song. Funny and jarring moment). He followed up with a quick clinic on the different rhythms they use; overlaying dissonant beats that meet up at the right moment to punch you in the nuts. Little bits of Lateralus and Pushit were used as an example of this theory. All I can say is “Pass the God damn butter.”

The Q&A started after that. Adam was far better at this portion than I think he thought he would be. Very natural and relaxed. He made sure we knew we could ask about anything even when the next album is coming out, though nobody tried to pry into that one after he assured us that they ARE in fact working diligently. There were some great questions from the group, which was fun. Nobody asking what his favorite brand of peanut butter was. I’ll give a couple of examples… again, highly paraphrased (if you were there and can remember more, please post them in the comments!):
Q: What do you think about when you are playing?
A: My laundry. No, seriously. My mind will wander and I’ll suddenly jump back in and remember where I’m at. Don’t get me wrong, I take it seriously and I’m playing with heart, but it happens.
Q: What kind of amps and pickups do you use to get your great sound?
A: It is more about heart and attitude than what you are using. I think I’m mediocre (uh huh) but the attitude and the sound that I bring make it sound better.
Q: Do certain songs represent certain members of the band more than others?
A: Obviously Maynard is responsible for the lyrics and what you hear there. The whole songs are very collaborative and are a result of everyone pitching ideas. Sometimes song titles can be a specific suggestion from someone. (Adam then talked about suggesting the name Prison Sex for that song, which Maynard thought was great).
Q: You recently became a father, and mentioned in a past interview how your songs come from one idea or theme, and then are nurtured to become something else. What effect, if any, or what idea or wisdom do you hope your music can pass on to your kids?
A: I really don’t want to be that guy, but I think about my son all the time. I find myself playing or practicing and suddenly realize I am thinking about my son. I don’t know how it would affect the music specifically, only that I believe it can only make it better.
I could do more, but this is going to be a long post already… or IS, already...

So, after Q&A we get to line up and get an autograph, an exclusive VIP poster, and a picture with Adam. The Q&A lasted longer than they expected (Adam having more fun than he planned, maybe?) so we only got one item autographed. Posters, baby onesies, vinyls, and even a couple skulls were all signed. It was great watching him interact with his very excited fans. He had a smile on his face the whole time and made sure whoever he was talking to, got his undivided attention.

When that was finished up and Adam had departed (seriously, I could keep talking about how cool this was, but you wouldn’t believe me and I can’t do it justice) and we were waiting to depart for sound check, we got our gift bags: an exclusive VIP shirt, sticker, and tote bag. As I mentioned before, they felt bad about the delayed start, so added some things: a keychain, a beanie, and an iphone case. Scored big time! If this is how it’s going to be, I hope your VIP experience is delayed as well.

Taken to sound check. We could hear Danny pounding away while we walked outside and in through the main entrance. Got to hear Hooker and Pushit, with a short Schism jam. And some new riffs. Holy hell… if this is the base for what we have to look forward to? It was almost ethereal in sound. Don’t know how to describe it adequately. I am truly sorry that I can’t give you a better idea of what it was like. Anyway… Maynard wasn’t there. Adam told us that his throat was fucked and he wanted to save it for the show tonight. Fine by me, saving it for the real deal. It didn’t take away from the experience. Justin’s trimmed beard, gentlemanly hairdo, and specs did him right, and was disarming when coupled with this bounding bass rhythms.

I and Blake very nearly got ourselves a drumstick. It rattled against the front barricade as we were walking out. If either of has had been paying attention as we were walking out… well… I would’ve had another picture to upload to this page.

Quick trip to the merch booth. They said there would be a discount, but I didn’t see any reducing math being performed by the attendants. Perhaps the prices at this booth were cheaper? I don’t know… After I had by goodies I didn’t bother looking at another booth, other than to see if they had anything different. They did. Some different posters, some autographed merch (signed drumhead for $250, signed poster for $111 or something). These weren’t available until the doors opened, for future reference.

Back to the CHAMPIONS ROOM to gaze at some video props. The life-size model of the Schism dude was there, as well as one of the bloated corporate –suit wearing fat cats from Parabol. Juan (our guide and band attaché for the day) was security for these props. It was great fun watching him cringe when people got too close. All in good fun though. He was awesome. Thanks for the good times, Juan!

We got into the venue about 15-20 minutes before doors opened. Just enough time to get a few shots and beers in us. Met up with friends. Bragged about the day.

I’m sure you’ve seen the setlist, so I won’t bother going into that. Rest assured, though, that sitting in row 3 of a Tool show is exactly as amazing as you would imagine: Up close and personal to Justin’s sweat slinging forehead (I swear, at one time, he was looking right at me… I came), saw the moment that Danny busted his snare drum, watched Maynard’s hypnotizing stagger-dancing, and ate up every moment of Adam destroying the rules of conventional guitar playing. I’d go more into it, but I think you would agree that everyone experiences a Tool show differently. I will say that the new visuals were astounding. And lasers. Turning around to look at the whole venue lit up with lasers was an unforeseen bonus of being next to the stage.

If you are thinking of buying a VIP package in the future, do it. I’ll try and answer specific questions as I see them (or am online and not intoxicated. Get off my back… I took today off to recover. Recovery requires beer, you judgmental prick).

I’m still in shock, I think. It was like living every dream I’ve ever had since I first became enraptured by Tool so many years ago. Except I didn’t get the piggyback ride from Danny I was hoping for.

Spiral out, my friends.
rgardjr

Post by rgardjr »

Good to hear that the VIP experience was well worth it. I'm pretty surprised that Danny doesn't hang out a little with the VIPs. He was the most friendly and out going of the bunch the couple of times we hung out. I have to say I was pretty jealous watching the VIPs get into the arena about 10 minutes before the rest of us. I was really hoping to snag a doodled poster, but didn't see any and none of the merch people had knew anything about them.