Tool - 24 March 2014 - Cedar Park Center - Cedar Park, Tx

Tool will be "touring" (well, playing one show in Mexico at time of writing) North America in March 2014.
junior
Green Herbsman

Re: Tool - 24 March 2014 - Cedar Park Center - Cedar Park, T

Post by junior »

Rothric wrote: I know probably one person read the entire thing, but hopefully someone out there enjoyed reading it. As I sit here I realize I've spent a few hours writing this. Time to go get something to eat.
Good read. I enjoyed it.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

Kittaan wrote:
madson4562 wrote: "my god, that looks like Kirk Covington."
Capt. Kirk is a machine on the drums and quite a good keyboardist as well. Very cool.

@ Rothric - Good read.
Kirk is a monster drummer. Every instrument I've heard him play (including voice) he excels at. I can only assume he excels at every instrument.

The admiration he has for Danny (which is quite a lot) is reciprocated by Danny. Danny is a big Kirk fan. No question.
Rothric
Maynard Believer

Post by Rothric »

junior wrote:
Rothric wrote: I know probably one person read the entire thing, but hopefully someone out there enjoyed reading it. As I sit here I realize I've spent a few hours writing this. Time to go get something to eat.
Good read. I enjoyed it.
Thanks, glad some people enjoyed reading it.

I could be off on this, but I read you do the live video or something for Tool? If so, and you happen to see Adam, just tell him "Thanks", and let him know his time and effort is truly appreciated, if you don't mind. I hope he knows how amazing of a job he did during the VIP sessions. I know he said he was nervous, but he should know he knocked it out of the park. Thanks!
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

junior wrote:
Good read. I enjoyed it.

I also read the whole thing. Loved it! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I look forward to my opportunity at VIP the next go around.
dickleiper
of Arimathea

Post by dickleiper »

badkittygothgirl wrote:
junior wrote:
Good read. I enjoyed it.

I also read the whole thing. Loved it! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I look forward to my opportunity at VIP the next go around.
Great review. Apart from being front row and getting hit in the head with a drum stick, your VIP/concert experience was very similiar to mine last year. I had a huge smile reading this review. Great to hear other fans appreciate the experience as much as i did.
3d-alex
Maynard Believer

Post by 3d-alex »

junior wrote:
Good read. I enjoyed it.

Awesome review. Thanks for posting!
trampis
My pain is just an excuse

Post by trampis »

I've been busy as hell since the show and don't have time to write an elaborate review, but I just wanted to stop in and say I had an amazing experience. I was fortunate to meet some great people at the show and the VIP session with Adam was well worth it. He comes across as a very genuine, sincere guy that really does care about the fans.

My only complaint of the show would be that I couldn't hear Maynard in the mix very well, but that could be because of where I was in the venue. Regardless of that, the energy of the band had me pumped up throughout the set. The entire show was great, but I would have to say that Lateralus was my favorite song of the night.

On the way out of the venue I overheard a girl telling her friend something along the lines of "I've heard that a Tool concert is like having a spiritual experience, and I believe that's the truth!"

I have to agree. I know a friend that I met at the show was having some life revelations that night, and his experience bled into my own.

If you're out there reading this, I hope you are "pouring yourself out" as you put it.

It's not about you, it's about what you have to offer.
Rothric
Maynard Believer

Post by Rothric »

^Maynard being low in the mix must have been a result of being in the front few rows. 3 people who did the VIP session have now said Maynard was low in the mix, but every other review (and video) of the show says he sounded great. I did notice he sounded louder after intermission though.

Oh well, being front row was still worth it, I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
goinlow254
Maynard Believer

Post by goinlow254 »

Awesome review of the VIP experience. I was at the show and had a great time, crowd was awesome, sound was incredible. Second time to see them at that venue and really hope they'll make it a stop in the future
jk7957
Maynard Believer

Post by jk7957 »

I was also at this show. Didn't do the VIP because I flew up from New Orleans. We had a great experience as well, and from what I've overheard they will stop at the Cedar Park Center every time because they love the acoustics in the place. We met some nice people and probably made some lifelong friends. Compared to other shows I've attended, the crowd was relatively tame. I thought the facility was under staffed and people were frustrated, but no one wanted to ruin their night and miss the show.

On another note, I flew out of Austin at 1:00pm the following day. We had a connecting flight in Houston. When we were asked to board, I saw this guy come out of hiding behind the flight arrival screens and board in first class. We make eye contact and he has me pegged from the jump. It was Maynard himself. He was obviously not in a talkative mood, so I left him alone. Another fan tried to tell him hi and he was ignored. He turned back to Maynard and said "Live everyday like its your last, right?" I cracked a smile. I'd like to think MJK did too.

So, fun fact of the day - He likes to fly United.
Raptor161
Maynard Believer

Post by Raptor161 »

Did Reno VIP, and Rothric VIP review from Cedar Park was spot on. A good read, much better than a bootlegged "spoiler" audio recording from an earlier show.
Saw Tool in Reno 2012, flew Southwest Airline to see the next night show in Vegas. Sitting in first row-MJK. He had his head down in a book, I also sensed he was not in a talkative mood. I was holding the 2012 Reno print by Korin in my hand, was back and forth in my mind deciding to ask MJK to sign, but didn't bother.
Again, great written review by Rothric
Turn Around and take my hand
Ascension5

Post by Ascension5 »

Finally finished my Tool review, it's 7 pages long--I tried really hard to document everything I could possibly remember, though there is one moment in particular I need to go back and figure out. I've published it online with photos. It's separated by events, so if you just want to know about the whole VIP deal, that's noted. If you read it, or some of it, do let me know what you think!

Breathe in Union - James
"Breathe in Union--so, as One, survive." - Jambi, Tool

6. 20. 2010 - Tool
7. 22. 2011 - A Perfect Circle
1. 20. 2012 - Tool
11. 5. 2013 - Nine Inch Nails
3. 24. 2014 - Tool
Rothric
Maynard Believer

Post by Rothric »

^Great review Ascension, thanks for taking the time to do it. Even though I attended the same VIP session, I enjoyed reading your account of it. Sparked a few moments that I had nearly forgotten. I do remember seeing you at some point during the VIP, I'll try and post my picture up here sometime soon. I was the 6'4" guy with longish black hair, I asked the question about Pono/digital releases.

When I sat down to write my review, I thought I'd spend maybe 30 minutes doing it. As I sat down, it just came pouring out and knew I had to write it all. Glad you did the same :)

Enjoy the day, and maybe I'll see you at a local show soon!
Ascension5

Post by Ascension5 »

Hey Rothric, I am glad you enjoyed it! I remember your question, but to be entirely honest I don't think I was turned around looking at those asking at that point! I was glad you asked it, though, because I felt like his response cleared up the misconception people have had that they are the ones holding their music back from being released digitally.

Yeah, when I started writing it it was partly to release online to people here/on TDN and partly to publish in our school newspaper. I had to message my editor and let her know there was no way this was going to fit in the paper! :D I feel it's a very nice experience to sit down and relive everything in your mind again, and it helps to really have the time to comb through everything you can recall. I am looking forward to finding a full recording of the show, or at least enough recordings to hear the transitions between songs, because that moment where I can't place what song I thought they might play is killing me!

Have a fantastic day as well, and hopefully I'll see you around! I am not from Austin, I'm afraid, but perhaps another Tool show in the future or related artist.

Breathe in Union, brother!
- James

6. 20. 2010 - Tool
1. 20. 2012 - Tool
3. 24. 2014 - Tool
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Ascension5 wrote:I was glad you asked it, though, because I felt like his response cleared up the misconception people have had that they are the ones holding their music back from being released digitally.
Well, I think that statement is a bit of a misconception really - they are holding their music back from being released digitally, albeit for what they see as valid reasons. If they were willing to give in to the demands of their record company I expect it would be online within a week.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

I think it was more the misconception that they just plain didn't want their stuff sold digitally.
Hey! Denty!
Ascension5

Post by Ascension5 »

hellboy wrote:
Ascension5 wrote:I was glad you asked it, though, because I felt like his response cleared up the misconception people have had that they are the ones holding their music back from being released digitally.
Well, I think that statement is a bit of a misconception really - they are holding their music back from being released digitally, albeit for what they see as valid reasons. If they were willing to give in to the demands of their record company I expect it would be online within a week.
That's true! I suppose I lean towards the artists' views, though yeah, that's true as well. I was leaning more towards people thinking they were keeping from publishing their work digitally because they disliked the medium or something.

6. 20. 2010 - Tool
1. 20. 2012 - Tool
3. 24. 2014 - Tool
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Ravenpig wrote:I think it was more the misconception that they just plain didn't want their stuff sold digitally.
Yep that's a fair point
Rothric
Maynard Believer

Post by Rothric »

I was one of those under the misconception that they didn't have a strong desire to release their music digitally. I thought it might have something to do with wanting to present an album as a whole, as opposed to the single song nature that is associated with digital music these days. Coupled with the lack of art work and packaging that Tool is known for, I didn't find it to be that far fetched. So very relieved to hear that they want to get their music out there.

Ascension, I'm in San Antonio too (far west side). I just end up making the drive to Austin fairly regularly ;) It seems just about every show I want to see skips San Antonio and goes to Austin. Hoping to hit Austin Psych Fest in a month, that lineup looks amazing.
Ravenpig
Peen Taster

Post by Ravenpig »

Well, I could still see them selling their music in the "album only" format. Except for maybe their singles.
Hey! Denty!
MAGNUS

Post by MAGNUS »

Ravenpig wrote:Well, I could still see them selling their music in the "album only" format. Except for maybe their singles.
It wouldn't surprise me if this were the case. I just hope they make their records available in hd formats.
MrMeaner
Maynard Believer

Post by MrMeaner »

trampis wrote:I've been busy as hell since the show and don't have time to write an elaborate review, but I just wanted to stop in and say I had an amazing experience. I was fortunate to meet some great people at the show and the VIP session with Adam was well worth it. He comes across as a very genuine, sincere guy that really does care about the fans.

My only complaint of the show would be that I couldn't hear Maynard in the mix very well, but that could be because of where I was in the venue. Regardless of that, the energy of the band had me pumped up throughout the set. The entire show was great, but I would have to say that Lateralus was my favorite song of the night.

On the way out of the venue I overheard a girl telling her friend something along the lines of "I've heard that a Tool concert is like having a spiritual experience, and I believe that's the truth!"

I have to agree. I know a friend that I met at the show was having some life revelations that night, and his experience bled into my own.

If you're out there reading this, I hope you are "pouring yourself out" as you put it.

It's not about you, it's about what you have to offer.
Hey Trampis, hope all is well!! We made it back to our hometown. Wow what an experience.. to say the least. I have seen Tool at least 8 times and this was by far the best one yet.

I think part of the vocals has to do with all the subwoofers that were literally 6' from us. Best part was being able to see the intensity of the band right in your face. Typically being father back and up higher than the band it hard to see Maynard in the shadows. Being right down in front looking up at the band with all the visual lighting behind them its much easier to see just how much they all out into the show.

Our friend finally "woke up"... I think he was just tired from driving, a long workprevious before, along with cocktails and refreshments.

John
psgrantham
Maynard Believer

Post by psgrantham »

I paid $440 for 2 regular tickets to see this show with my woman (it being her first one Tool show). I have no regrets (and I'm fucking POOR). The Cedar Park Center is the best sounding venue I have EVER been to... the toms on Danny's set are so distinguishable, where in other venues you get a muddy mess of bass. The boys brought everything they had. I remember Maynard getting dramatically animated during Vicarious. It's the best show I've seen Danny perform (out of 8 shows). Adam was really into it, Justin too, of course.

The CP Center show is THE Tool show to see!

PS: Hooray for LSD.