Whatcha reading?

Physical media such as books, comics and other artwork
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Oh, and if you haven't read a HERMANN HESSE book at least once, one of them, on the planet - you can't say you know what it means to be alive.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
markuspoop
Oddfellow

Post by markuspoop »

The Boss said

badkittygothgirl said
I gave up on Hemingway after reading Old Man and the Sea.  

I want to say that you're dead to me, but I just can't.

Yeah, seriously.  OMATS is one of my favs.

I like to poop naked.
badkittygothgirl
Stinkyfist

Post by badkittygothgirl »

markuspoop said

The Boss said

badkittygothgirl said

The ending pissed me off.  All of that struggle just to see his prize eaten.  Yep, rhinking about almost 30 years later still pisses me off.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

badkittygothgirl said

markuspoop said

The Boss said

badkittygothgirl said

The ending pissed me off.  All of that struggle just to see his prize eaten.  Yep, rhinking about almost 30 years later still pisses me off.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Seriously?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!??!!?!?!?!?

thesheedspot
My pain is just an excuse

Post by thesheedspot »

i probably wouldnt be reading the great gatsby all the way through if i didnt think i could finish it as a side book to V. in about a week.

as for books that people start and dont finish, i recently looked at a list of them on goodreads and almost all of pynchons book show up on there. moby dick and gravitys rainbow are near the top.

siddhartha is def a must.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I just ordered Lucifer's Hammer because Hellboy suggested it in a Synchtube like a year ago.
Don't mow your lawn
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

badkittygothgirl said

markuspoop said

The Boss said

badkittygothgirl said

Try "The Snows Of Kilimanjaro.".  Ernest brings the horribleness of life and more.  Knowing your mortality and having it stare you straight in the face is not comfortable for humans and not many get that chance.  All too often death is quick.  Not with Hemingway.  It's one long slow breath and you're not getting out alive.

Meh, fuck it....

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Started "WOMEN" by Bukowski last week. Great stuff.
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

Finished reading Lucifer's Hammer, which I thought was alright, and I've started rereading Ghost Story by Peter Straub. I read it like three years ago, and I don't really remember any of it.
Don't mow your lawn
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

My brain keeps telling me to go back and read "Heart Of Darkness," again.

The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

can't wait for "Doomed" out in October.

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Ah, Palahniuk. Where to begin.

I'll preface this by stating, in no uncertain terms, that I have never claimed to be an authority on literature. I know what works, through pure existence and a small window of studying stuff at uni. I have a deep appreciation of poetry and writing, through a simple process of taking as much in as I can.

That said, Palahniuk is one of the worst writers on the planet. Are his ideas good? Of course. I think he should be writing scripts and working in the film industry. He has an excellent eye for detail and extending bizarre concepts beyond their proper endings.

I fucking hate his books. Hate them with a passion. Lazy, shitty, boring writing.

Great ideas, though.

I see him as a post-modern Salinger. I'm pretty sure he's aware that he's a hack - but he's established himself as an almost institution to his fans. He can't escape what he's started, so he just keeps on going.

At least Salinger had the good sense to feel guilt, and go into self-imposed exile.

That's my take.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

MACGYVER said

I'll preface this by stating, in no uncertain terms, that I have never claimed to be an authority on literature. I know what works, through pure existence and a small window of studying stuff at uni. I have a deep appreciation of poetry and writing, through a simple process of taking as much in as I can.

That said, Palahniuk is one of the worst writers on the planet. Are his ideas good? Of course. I think he should be writing scripts and working in the film industry. He has an excellent eye for detail and extending bizarre concepts beyond their proper endings.

I fucking hate his books. Hate them with a passion. Lazy, shitty, boring writing.

Great ideas, though.

I see him as a post-modern Salinger. I'm pretty sure he's aware that he's a hack - but he's established himself as an almost institution to his fans. He can't escape what he's started, so he just keeps on going.

At least Salinger had the good sense to feel guilt, and go into self-imposed exile.

That's my take.

tried to edit my post as I was writing it. no idea what happened. lol
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

NYHCster said

MACGYVER said

Great ideas, though.

That's my take.

his writing is definitely an acquired taste. however "Haunted" was far from lazy and "Rant" was far from boring. I just have an affinity for Chuck being my attention span kept me from reading for the first two and a half decades of my life. my best friend forced me to read "Choke" and that sent me flying. so I'm definitely no authority, a grown man who never picked up a book until he was 27. but I've read around 40 or 50 in the past 5 years and I owe Chuck for writing some "fun" stuff and peaking my interest. honestly out of everything I've ever read the one book I never finished was actually one of his, "Tell-all". never picked it back up again.

I've actually heard people describe King in the same way "Lazy, shitty, boring" and tedious. figured I couldn't handle King based on that so I started with two short story books, which I loved. I accidentally stumbled onto the Dark Tower series after I read his short story "The Little Sisters Of Eluria". progressed into me slamming all 7 novels two summers ago. read the new tie in book last year as well. very happy that I can finish a book now.

who's your favorite author? any good books to recommend?

ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

MACGYVER said

Great ideas, though.

That's my take.

I feel that way about most modern authors, even to the point I can now judge books by their covers, or at least the name of the author.

I know that's pretentious sounding but you know what, fuck it.  I know I wouldn't enjoy it so I'm not gonna waste my time.  And bless my Mom but she keeps sending me books by James Patterson, I have no idea why, I never indicated to her even slightly that I would like to read anything by this person nor anyone else like him, I do not have the heart to tell her that it's laughable to do so, and so I just keep letting her send them.  Oh well....she's my Momma so she gets a pass....I'm not gonna break her heart, ya know?

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

I can't remember the last time I read a book that came out within the last ten years (that wasn't a comic book).
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

MACGYVER said
I can't remember the last time I read a book that came out within the last ten years (that wasn't a comic book).

no books in the last ten years, no music in the last ten years. where were you? the Gulag?

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

NYHCster said

MACGYVER said

no books in the last ten years, no music in the last ten years. where were you? the Gulag?

Been in Korea for the better part of six years, so yeah, pretty much.

James
Fanboi

Post by James »

Currently reading Brief Interviews with Hideous Men by David Foster Wallace. He has a similar style to Chuck Palahniuk, in that they both seem to have trouble with completing thoughts in a brief little package--I am a huge fan of Palahniuk's work, though you have to take breaks from him sometimes. I am enjoying it a lot so far, though I would recommend reading the second story first and then going back, that one sold the book for me. I'm slowly building up to Infinite Jest, which was more affected by my current budget than a lack of interest.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

MACGYVER said

NYHCster said

MACGYVER said

Been in Korea for the better part of six years, so yeah, pretty much.

figured a guy like you would've broken out of there with some toothpicks and chewing gum.

Elondriel
Maynard Believer

Post by Elondriel »

Ended my long weekend reading Keys for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. Has anyone else read it? Found it quite interesting.

Also, some of the passages towards the end had me drawing connections to songs from the Lateralus album, the title track in particular.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

THE SECRET TEACHINGS OF ALL AGES
by Manly P. Hall

http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/

You're welcome.

I've got it on my Android, and I tend to read books that way while I'm at work or travelling or whatever. It's one of the few books that I've found that I'm reading it every chance I get, pretty much, outside of the aforementioned times.

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, come to think of it. De ja vu, or whatnot . . .

EDIT: I'm up to Alchemy, which means I'm further through this thing than I thought. Which makes me sad.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

The Boss said
by Manly P. Hall

You're welcome.

I've got it on my Android, and I tend to read books that way while I'm at work or travelling or whatever. It's one of the few books that I've found that I'm reading it every chance I get, pretty much, outside of the aforementioned times.

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, come to think of it. De ja vu, or whatnot . . .

EDIT: I'm up to Alchemy, which means I'm further through this thing than I thought. Which makes me sad.

I've had that book in my library for a few years but have yet to get into it. I go through spells where I get a few books on a particular subject and not get through them before going on to another subject. I need to get to this one as I remember it intriguing me very much at the time. Thanks for the reminder....
Professor of Lesbian Science
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

basejumper said

The Boss said

by Manly P. Hall

You're welcome.

I've had that book in my library for a few years but have yet to get into it. I go through spells where I get a few books on a particular subject and not get through them before going on to another subject. I need to get to this one as I remember it intriguing me very much at the time. Thanks for the reminder....

No problem. It was compiled/written around a hundred years ago, though you wouldn't know it.

MOG
Scissorman

Post by MOG »

Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere (Re-read) - Seeing as Gaiman's latest offering The Ocean at the End of the Lane will be out in about a week I figured I would re-read one of his classics.