Tour de France 2019

Everyone loves sport. If you don't you're a loser!
M0G
Lungsmen

Tour de France 2019

Post by M0G »

Stage 4 today but Tour doesn't really start until Thursday. First battle in the mountains. Final climb up to La Planche des Belles Filles is nasty steep 7k at almost 9% not a HC climb but a nasty Category 1. Should be interesting to see if the GC guys decide to take an early shot at Thomas or if they let a break get away with the bigger climbs towards the back end of the tour.

Overall the route this year leaves quite a bit to be desired. It has for awhile now. They need to stop adding big climbing stages that don't end on the final climb but end in decent waste of a mountain stage. They used to almost always have 4 or 5 final HC climbs but not nearly as often. Plus they are not climbing Mont Vonteux or Alpe D'Huez this year. They are finishing on the Tourmalet this year but again not a particularly exciting route.
The most intelligent person on this forum
M0G
Lungsmen

Re: Tour de France 2019

Post by M0G »

I am shocked Kittaan hasn’t chimed in here being that he rides. The rest of you it doesn’t surprise me only cultured intellectuals can appreciate the majesty that is Le Tour.

Now excuse me while I go read Shakespeare and listen to some Opera.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I like it for the scenery. Don't really care too much for the race, it's a little like watching paint dry.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Also bike shorts.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

But, hey, for the first time since 1989 a Dutch cyclist had achieved to wear the yellow shirt.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

ms2r wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:39 am But, hey, for the first time since 1989 a Dutch cyclist had achieved to wear the yellow shirt.
Likely goes away when they climb Filles on Thursday but there is always hope for you. Again this route the big climbs are all towards the end. The time trial is next week so things in the GC will start to settle then if they don't attack tomorrow.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Yawn... they need to make it full contact then I might be interested. Maybe something like Death Race 2000!

Professor of Lesbian Science
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

M0G wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:40 pm
ms2r wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:39 am But, hey, for the first time since 1989 a Dutch cyclist had achieved to wear the yellow shirt.
Likely goes away when they climb Filles on Thursday but there is always hope for you. Again this route the big climbs are all towards the end. The time trial is next week so things in the GC will start to settle then if they don't attack tomorrow.
It's already gone, lol.

But with Dumoulin's giro win and Kruiswijks third place in the tour last year there is potential for the latter as some favourites didn't start this year.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I’m with HB on this one. Yes, I love to ride, but there’s not much draw in watching other people do it. Highlights are plenty for me.

Did a beautiful 45 mile ride yesterday partly along 2 reservoirs, over 1,800 feet elevation gain. Kicked me arse.
Ki77aan :twisted:
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Oh Kittaan and here I thought you were one of the few around here that actually had some culture. I thought you were a fellow intellectual and a true sporting aficionado. Sadly it looks like I was mistaken.

Now as for the Tour Thomas indeed attacked today and took time out of the other GC contenders. The race will settle now until the time trial next week. Thomas made a statement today he is going to be hard to beat.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

M0G wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:05 pm Oh Kittaan and here I thought you were one of the few around here that actually had some culture. I thought you were a fellow intellectual and a true sporting aficionado. Sadly it looks like I was mistaken.
My dear Mog, ones intellect and cultural refinements should always be self evident. To describe yourself thus is quite gauche. :shock:
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

liz wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:11 pm
M0G wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:05 pm Oh Kittaan and here I thought you were one of the few around here that actually had some culture. I thought you were a fellow intellectual and a true sporting aficionado. Sadly it looks like I was mistaken.
My dear Mog, ones intellect and cultural refinements should always be self evident. To describe yourself thus is quite gauche. :shock:
Gauche? I think not. It is an expression of supreme confidence. Some might view it as arrogance but the great ones know the difference my dear Liz. I see greatness in you but we must work to bring it out. I suggest trying to pry open your third eye.

Did you ever finish reading up on the Principles of Presumption? I felt slight regret at having to slay you so effortlessly in that debate we had. You really should make a proper study of philosophy.

;)
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

Thank you for your functional literacy Mog but in the words of the great poet Kittaan "This forum is not about responses."
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Now as for the Tour Thomas indeed attacked today and took time out of the other GC contenders. The race will settle now until the time trial next week. Thomas made a statement today he is going to be hard to beat.
I always thought TDF fans were quite pretentious, and now this is confirmed.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:20 pm

I always thought TDF fans were quite pretentious, and now this is confirmed.
It’s okay Hellboy at least you are a fellow Formula 1 fan I will cut you some slack

Kittaan has no excuse. That finish on Filles was epic. Fucking 20 percent last 1k brutal
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

People actually watch that race?

This is more my kinda riding. Downhill trails near my joint. Went for a sunrise run this morning before work. Mad fun sans bike pants

Listen to All Them Witches
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Of course people watch the Tour is one of the most watched sporting events in the world every year. I was lucky to have been exposed to it back when Lance was dominating (and yes EPO/doping don't give a shit was going on forever and likely still is). I am admitted a sports nut I follow almost everything other than Cricket. Still don't quite understand exactly what is going on there would love for one of you aussies to give me a proper education on it one day.

Yesterday's final climb, although not particularly high, was extremely steep at the end and seeing those riders, some of the best trained athletes in the world, struggle to cross the finish line was telling.

I understand it is not for everyone but once you understand how the race works, how the teams work, how the Pelaton works and how different strategies play out it is fascinating to watch.

Of course I am also the kind of guy that watches sail boat racing and finds it interesting so to each their own.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Cricket is kinda like star wars in that I love it but can understand why some people don't.

Cricket , at least in its true form is essentially a massive chess battle. The field placement the skipper chooses is one of the most important aspects of the game. Basically when you see a bowler just bowling over and over and over again . There is a strategy behind that. They are intentional delivering lines into a certain place to try fuck with the batters mind to then give that one ball they've building up to try get the batter out.

It's the ultimate strategy game which also coincides fantastically with sinking piss in an Aussie summer by the pool
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Busty McCracken wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:11 pm Cricket is kinda like star wars in that I love it but can understand why some people don't.

Cricket , at least in its true form is essentially a massive chess battle. The field placement the skipper chooses is one of the most important aspects of the game. Basically when you see a bowler just bowling over and over and over again . There is a strategy behind that. They are intentional delivering lines into a certain place to try fuck with the batters mind to then give that one ball they've building up to try get the batter out.

It's the ultimate strategy game which also coincides fantastically with sinking piss in an Aussie summer by the pool
It seems fascinating the part I am confused about is the scoring and how the actual levels/innings/periods work and what a test exactly is. I assume a test is the fully series (7 days or 3 days?). How you get batters out and how many outs each team has. I am sure I am using too many baseball terms or concepts so I apologize if I am explaining it poorly.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

The fascination is directly proportionate to the amount of beer consumed. No coincidence about it.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Ok so test cricket.

11 players a side. Each side consists of a mix of strong batsmen , strong bowlers and then all rounders to balance out the team

A test match is played out over 5 days. Both teams get two innings each to bat and always have two batters on the field at any point.

An innings consists of once 10 of the 11 batters are out. Alternatively a team can declare their innings as complete if they choose too. Example of why they may do this is they have been batting for two days straight and are yet to have their entire team bowled out.they declare to allow enough time in the match to give themselves a chance of bowling out the opposition over the course of two innings.

Once the batting team is all out or have declared their innings, the opposition is then sent in to bat.

Batters have no such thing as a strike like in baseball. They can let a ball pass them without penalty. The bowlers must ensure the ball is within a set boundary area to allow the batter a chance to hit it. Batter can get out if the ball hits the wickets behind them. If they hit the ball and it is caught on the full or if a wicket is hit when they are outside of their crease (,safe area).

When they hit the ball they can elect to stay put or run to the other side of the pitch which constitutes as one run. If they get one run their team mate is now on strike to bat. If they hit the ball far enough to the outside boundary but it hits the ground first this is 4 runs. If they clear the boundary home run style this is 6 runs.

Team who wins the toss elects to bat or bowl. This is all part of the strategy. If it's a stinking hot day a team would choose to bat and try make the opposition stay out fielding all day in the hot sun which will tire them out.

There's a lot more to it than that but that's the gist of it. Only other thing id say is the game switches directions every 6 balls which is what they call an over. E.g., a bowler will bowl north to south on a pitch for 6 balls (1 over) and then the next over they will bowl south to north.

When it comes to different forms of the game (one day cricket or 20/20) the game is made up of a limited amount of overs instead of being played out over 5 days. One day cricket each team gets 50 overs to achieve their highest score. 20/20 each team gets 20 overs.

Test cricket is far and away my favourite form of the game. It can be at times extremely tedious and boring but once it starts getting down to the wire it can lead to an incredibly exciting finish. It also can lead to MASSIVE momentum swings where you think one team has it in the bag and this changes several times over the course of 5 days.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

There's a quick visual queue to see how there's wickets at either end for when they change directions every over. You'll see how when they're going for two runs they're putting they're bat down over a line. Thats their safe area. If the opposition hit the wicket when the player is outside of that area the batter is out. In order for it to constitute as a run the batter must touch that line.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Love ya Busty... but not delving into that even for you.
Ki77aan :twisted:
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Appreciate that breakdown Busty best explanation anyone has given to me on what is actually going on. Will be a hell of a lot easier to follow now next time I try watching a match (test)

A bit off topic but how about a 37 almost 38 year old Roger Federer beating Nadal in the Wimbledon semifinals. That man is not human to play tennis at that level a month away from 38 is mind boggling. Unfortunately he has to play a very in form Novak Djokovic in the final on Sunday.