The Ashes

Everyone loves sport. If you don't you're a loser!
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Re: The Ashes

Post by earthrocker »

Don't worry we have this in the bag McCrack
Deftones!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

You'd think so but never confident enough to call game set on day 3 of a test match.
Listen to All Them Witches
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

359 runs lol, not fucking happening with GOAT (LYON)
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Goats magic usually happens on a 5th day wicker. 2 days to get 203 runs with 7 wickets in hand. Not impossible.
earthrocker
Rhandy

Post by earthrocker »

What a fucking gaaaammmeee!!
Deftones!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

And that my friends is why ya never call an ashes test on day 3.

Fuckin poms!
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Fucking gingers!
Canned audience laughter
earthrocker
Rhandy

Post by earthrocker »

Steven fucking Smith :roll:
Deftones!
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

A tale (tail?) of redemption.
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

earthrocker wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:51 am Steven fucking Smith :roll:
Sometimes ya just gotta stand and applaud even if it is against your opposition
earthrocker
Rhandy

Post by earthrocker »

Busty McCracken wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:37 pm
earthrocker wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:51 am Steven fucking Smith :roll:
Sometimes ya just gotta stand and applaud even if it is against your opposition
Hellish
Deftones!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Attaboy smittie
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

YEWL 18 YEARS IN THE MAKING

No way I was going to stay up for that
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

I couldn't sleep last night so I damn well should have got out of bed and watched it. Always a pleasure beating the poms.. Aint that right Earthrocker?
earthrocker
Rhandy

Post by earthrocker »

We can still draw. And that shall be!

Ps. Smith being investigated...again :roll:
Deftones!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

What's that we retained the ashes??
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

earthrocker wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:28 pm We can still draw. And that shall be!
That's what I thought as well so I didn't stay up to watch it but I WAS WRONG, THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

After the game when asked about the conditions of Old Trafford, Root was quoted as saying 'This ground is not the rock I thought it to be'

Look out Gideon Haigh, I'm coming for you.
Canned audience laughter
earthrocker
Rhandy

Post by earthrocker »

It's only a rock if the heavens open! The weather wasn't our friend.

Anyway we will just have to get the Ashes back out of your yard now. So keep them warm for a few months. Hope to be invited to both your homes for beers and bants down under

Ps. Barmy Army! Barmy Army!

Pps who the hell is Gideon Haigh
Deftones!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Apparently they asked Root if he reckons the rain will save them for the final test and he said that soon the water will come and that Australia better climb to a new ground now, so take that as you will.

And rocker if u can handle the humidity up here in summer would love to have a coopers with ya mate. I could pitch my script idea to ya :lol:
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

earthrocker wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:40 am

Pps who the hell is Gideon Haigh
An Australian sports journalist that mainly writes on cricket and is known for his word salad in his opinion pieces that you'll have to bust out a thesarus, I'll copy and paste his latest.

Steve Waugh, Ricky Ponting: Don’t underestimate the influence of this pair

At 4pm on August 4, 2001 at Trent Bridge, England’s Andy Caddick delivered a no-ball to Mark Waugh, conceding the Third Test and Ashes series to Australia. The game had taken fewer than 200 overs, custody of the trophy less than eleven days to decide. The Australians, who had knocked off their target at five an over, took a slow lap of the ground, as if to draw things out a little.

That was the way of it then. A dozen years into an ascendancy over their oldest rival, Australia did not just rule at home but abroad: 2001 had built on 1997, which had built on 1993, which had built on 1989. There were occasional spasms of resistance: in 2001, England would burgle a dead Test at Headingley, before implacable, point-proving and matchwinning hundreds by Justin Langer and Steve Waugh at The Oval.

Had we known then that more than 18 years would elapse before Australia won another series in England, celebration might have lasted longer. But my reporter’s recollection is of anticlimax, even some perplexity.

Afterwards Adam Gilchrist insisted that the urn mattered as much as ever. But the attitude among some Australian patriots was, jeez, won’t someone give us a decent game? A few partisans were even campaigning for Ashes series to be shortened to three Tests, so cheap and unsatisfying had victory grown.

Turning the passage of time since 2001 into “years of hurt” is hardly necessary. After all, Australia has enjoyed plenty of home Ashes success in that time, and have retained rather than regained the trophy now. But as a kind of self-created spur, it has worked a certain magic. Australians decided that while a decent game was a nice idea, winning was a better one after all.

The motivational tool also has a wider application, for Australia’s defeats in England in 2005, 2009, 2013 and 2015 helped establish the pattern of misadventure abroad.

Since the start of 2013, Australian teams have lost twice as many Tests as they have won abroad, including matches to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka — the longest period of such sustained failure in our history.

Worse, there was for a long time a kind of indifference to this. Not in the sense that defeat was not dismaying but that, really, we didn’t have to do much different, except try a bit harder, or pick different people, or schedule an advance practice match or two. There was a sense of playing on past glories, on innate supremacy, on self-admiringly “taking the game on”, and on self-consciously “never crossing the line”.

A lot’s been made in the past few days about the ingenuity of Australian planning for this series: the adoption of Dukes cricket balls in Sheffield Shield cricket, the renewed enthusiasm among young Aussies for playing county cricket, on the accent on fresh legs and dot balls etc. Some of this nerdiness is well-founded; some of it is because success gilds everything in retrospect.

The plans, however, may be less significant than that they existed at all, for the attitude shift this represents — that analysis and adaptation were integral to touring, that Australia abroad could do with listening rather than just talking.

Last year Australia visited England for a one-day series and were bossed in every match. Significant soul-searching followed. Tim Paine, newly appointed captain, gave ODI cricket away. And Langer, newly appointed coach, uttered words that during his playing career would have been almost unthinkable: “I’ve got massive respect for England and the way they are playing their cricket.”

The pair of them in harness, front and back, have presented an interesting study on this tour. They are an accidental coupling. Three years ago, with Steve Smith securely ensconced in the Australian captaincy, Paine was planning to accept a job at Kookaburra; 18 months ago, with Darren Lehmann’s coaching contract due to run through to the end of these Ashes, Langer was busy with the Perth Scorchers and Western Warriors.

The temptation now is to look for a secret for their simpatico, something like the fabled rapport of Andrew Strauss and Andy Flower. Yet it may be as simple as the circumstances of their coming together. It’s not like either man can have felt a sense of entitlement about their promotions; it’s not like their team, execrated by countrymen during Sandpapergate, had grounds for thinking themselves so special.

Plans are not simply about what to do; they are about who you are. Such is his adaptability in real time, Steve Smith does not really need plans. But others either do, or find them helpful, or find them reassuring.

Langer often refers to the youth of his team, which is on the face of it odd, because they are by historical standards more or less averagely old for Australian teams in England. But what is almost certainly true is that this squad is less mature and self-directed in cricket terms than the cricketers of Langer’s own generation, having grown up inside a far larger, richer and all-encompassing system, and as such do need more structure and direction.

Into this comes the fascinating roles taken this summer by Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting; Glenn McGrath was also a guest of the Australians at Old Trafford.

The introduction of past masters to current juniors is a hit-and-miss business. A few years ago, England welcomed Ian Botham, whose cricket stories all seemed to involve the preparatory consumption of a lake of red wine — good fun, but not exactly what one could learn from.

Waugh and Ponting, however, are greats within ready recall, and as such accorded natural deference of the kind that contributes to the culture Langer and Paine would like to build. Whether it lasts remains to be tested. But it’s unlikely that it will be 18 years ‘til Australia next win in England.
Canned audience laughter
earthrocker
Rhandy

Post by earthrocker »

My brain hurts...and i think i need glasses now. Gideon is a little bit biased. The journalism is ok but its like everything in life. Everything goes through peaks and troughs. It's just Australia's turn to be the better team it'll reverse again at some point probably next year ;)

Anyway, some great names in that piece. Langer is one of my favourite players of the game.

That whole Aussie team - Gilchrist, Hayden, Ponting, McGrath, Warney, Damien Martyn, Waugh's, Clarke, Haddin, Lee, Hussey

Even Mitchell Johnson (knob). I can't believe he retired from the game in 2015.

Interesting about Tim Paine's Kookabura's placement. He should have taken it, I don't rate him :lol:
Deftones!
earthrocker
Rhandy

Post by earthrocker »

Owned.

2-2
Deftones!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Ashes retained but shame we choked so badly in game 3.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Bring on the summer!
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Nice to see the poms finally acknowledging Steve Smith for completely owning the series