FIFA World Cup, 2014 Thread . . .

Everyone loves sport. If you don't you're a loser!
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Re: FIFA World Cup, 2014 Thread . . .

Post by not tyson »

The Socceroos visited an Orphanage in Brazil today.

"It's Heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with No Hope"...............

Said 6 year old Juan.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:The Socceroos visited an Orphanage in Brazil today.

"It's Heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with No Hope"...............

Said 6 year old Juan.
Adam Taggart obviously didn't go, the selfish bastard. ;)
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

People have been calling shenanigans on FIFA for years for several different things. The draws are one of them.

I'm not big on conspiracy theories when it comes to football, but the bad luck of that draw is just weird.

*shrugs*
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Not Tyson wrote:Said 6 year old Juan.
Bwahahaha!
Ki77aan :twisted:
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Here is the main reason for Australian soccer bad luck:

Socceroos witch doctor curse[edit]
In a story told in Johnny Warren's 2002 autobiography, Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters:[58] During a trip to play against Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) in the 1970 Mexico World Cup qualifiers in Mozambique, members of the Australian national soccer team (nicknamed the "Socceroos") including Warren consulted a witch doctor preceding their game. The witch doctor buried bones near the goal-posts and cursed the opposition, and Australia went on to beat Rhodesia 3–1 in the decider. However, the move backfired when the players could not come up with the £1000 demanded by the witch doctor as payment and he subsequently cursed the team. Subsequently, the Socceroos failed to beat Israel and did not qualify.

Whilst the curse is used as an explanation for failing to qualify for the World Cup for 32 years, including in the last match in the 1994, 1998 and 2002 qualifications, the curse is used in particular reference to the failure to qualify for the 1998 World Cup by drawing on aggregate against Iran, despite leading 2–0 in the second half of the final match of qualification.

The curse was supposedly lifted by John Safran during his 2004 TV series John Safran vs God. After reading the story in Warren's book, Safran travelled to Mozambique and hired a new witch doctor to channel the original to reverse the curse. The following year, the Socceroos not only qualified for the 2006 World Cup, but reached the second round before being beaten by Italy in Kaiserslautern. The Socceroos have since qualified for the 2010 and 2014 World Cups.

Australia did appear in the 1974 FIFA World Cup after the supposed curse had been placed. However, they failed to score a goal in any of their three opening round matches, and were eliminated.[59]

It still rages on.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

No, we're just shit.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

ms2r wrote:Here is the main reason for Australian soccer bad luck:

Socceroos witch doctor curse[edit]
In a story told in Johnny Warren's 2002 autobiography, Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters:[58] During a trip to play against Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) in the 1970 Mexico World Cup qualifiers in Mozambique, members of the Australian national soccer team (nicknamed the "Socceroos") including Warren consulted a witch doctor preceding their game. The witch doctor buried bones near the goal-posts and cursed the opposition, and Australia went on to beat Rhodesia 3–1 in the decider. However, the move backfired when the players could not come up with the £1000 demanded by the witch doctor as payment and he subsequently cursed the team. Subsequently, the Socceroos failed to beat Israel and did not qualify.

Whilst the curse is used as an explanation for failing to qualify for the World Cup for 32 years, including in the last match in the 1994, 1998 and 2002 qualifications, the curse is used in particular reference to the failure to qualify for the 1998 World Cup by drawing on aggregate against Iran, despite leading 2–0 in the second half of the final match of qualification.

The curse was supposedly lifted by John Safran during his 2004 TV series John Safran vs God. After reading the story in Warren's book, Safran travelled to Mozambique and hired a new witch doctor to channel the original to reverse the curse. The following year, the Socceroos not only qualified for the 2006 World Cup, but reached the second round before being beaten by Italy in Kaiserslautern. The Socceroos have since qualified for the 2010 and 2014 World Cups.

Australia did appear in the 1974 FIFA World Cup after the supposed curse had been placed. However, they failed to score a goal in any of their three opening round matches, and were eliminated.[59]

It still rages on.
Did you actually read what you quoted? Lifting the curse has seen subsequent success, as opposed to before.

So how could it still be "raging on"?
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:No, we're just shit.
After the Croatia game, you're not completely wrong.

Ange has had nothing but time to create a real strategy. Not only did we see an absolute "nothing" team play a Croatian team that, frankly, was playing at about 30% - he exhibited no vision whatsoever.

How he didn't start Cahill and Taggart at the same time off the bench is beyond me. And that back line is as bad as ever.

Also, if I hear one more person praise either Jedinak or McKay, I'm going to snap. They are the two worst players in the squad.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

@ The Boss,
the defeat against Italy in 2006 was a case of bad luck, second round or not. ;)
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

ms2r wrote:@ The Boss,
the defeat against Italy in 2006 was a case of bad luck, second round or not. ;)
No, it was atrocious refereeing. I'm pretty sure even Italy has conceded that.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Yeah it was refball all the way.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:Yeah it was refball all the way.
You remember watching that game at 2am in the morning at the pub all those years ago?

Mate, I love ya, but no need to be snide over a sport even you admit you don't know that much about.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I was up and I watched.

MATE.
doors
Metalologist

Post by doors »

Not Tyson wrote:No, we're just shit.
I agree. Good luck to them though.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not Tyson wrote:I was up and I watched.

MATE.
Apologies, but even you could admit that that comment could be construed as being very fucking sarcastic.

Because I know even other supposed Socceroos fans back then made us all feel like shit. True fans indeed. Game felt like it was rigged from the start, even to people who know far more about the sport than I do.

You know, I can't stand the heated chest-thumping bullshit that Americans do oh-so well (see: Bin Laden's supposed "murder") - but you people are always behind your team.

Even now, I'm showing cracks with regard to the capabilities of my national team.

Is that realism, or is American heat a sign of being brainwashed? One for the ages.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

One more night fuckers. Anyone going to watch the opening game? Brazil/ Croatia It's on at 4am here, guess an early rise is in order. Early beers for me!!
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Most of the Oz games are on at 2am, which kinda sucks given that they are weeknights. Still I shall attempt to watch them. I might watch a few of the 8am games when I'm able. SBS seems to be streaming the whole lot here online which makes it easy for me.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

ms2r wrote:@ The Boss,
Bad calls happen in all sports, it's too fucking bad it had to happen on the grand stage, but it was very controversial. Mafia has their hand in many things, and football is definitely one of them.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

BlackHole83 wrote:One more night fuckers. Anyone going to watch the opening game? Brazil/ Croatia It's on at 4am here, guess an early rise is in order. Early beers for me!!
8am my time Friday, so you bet your ass.

My mate and I usually do a running commentary on Facebook that others can jump in on, though they never do.

I say we do a thread for it here. Should be a right bit of fun.

Going to Denny's Saturday morning (fuck you all) then coming back home at 9:30am to prepare for the solid against Chile. I'm always up for a laugh during, but mind you, this is my boys, so eyes glued.

World Cup, in spite of the management, is a great idea. I love it.

It's called "the beautiful game" for a reason, cunthoses.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:Most of the Oz games are on at 2am, which kinda sucks given that they are weeknights. Still I shall attempt to watch them. I might watch a few of the 8am games when I'm able. SBS seems to be streaming the whole lot here online which makes it easy for me.
Only the one on Saturday, mate.

And it's the first, against our "only" chance, so get into it.
ilikecheese
Hey Jude

Post by ilikecheese »

Pretty much Prime Time for us in the EST US. Most games will be played an hour ahead; USA vs Ghana is on at 7pm here.
Yeeeeeaaaah bouy...
And I will be watching every single game I can, no matter the teams.
The above post is entertainment. It is most likely not directed at any individual unless specified. Any other interpretation, gleaning, or reckoning, of this post without the express, written, consent of Cheese, is strictly prohibited.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:
hellboy wrote:Most of the Oz games are on at 2am, which kinda sucks given that they are weeknights. Still I shall attempt to watch them. I might watch a few of the 8am games when I'm able. SBS seems to be streaming the whole lot here online which makes it easy for me.

I'll definitely be watching on Saturday morning!
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
The Boss wrote:

I'll definitely be watching on Saturday morning!
Glad to hear it!

I have World Cup Socceroos match and EARTH on the same day tomorrow. Even right now, I'm bouncing off the walls.

Holy fuck, awesome awesome awesome. I could not be happier. EARTH. World Cup. Fuck.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I hope England wins sunday, I fucking loathe Italians.

Part of the reason I couldn't get into Saprano's

Fucking Wo . . . llongong.