Exercising your demons!

Everyone loves sport. If you don't you're a loser!
basejumper
Droner

Re: Exercising your demons!

Post by basejumper »

liz wrote:
basejumper wrote:
hellboy wrote:Normal American folks may call it rappelling, but here in Oz it's strictly abseiling.
Face first rappelling (Aussie Rappel), also called rap jumping.
Aussie Rappel
Not by Australians it isn't. We call that particular form of abseiling Geneva apparently.

The origins of the word abseil are German, meaning quite literally down rope.

Rappel is of French origin meaning to recall or bring back.

Rappel could just as easily describe a dancing manoeuvre!
So are you saying that that company isn't Australian and that the guy that developed this technique wasn't either? He developed it and named it in Australia and he was Australian. Why won't you give this man his due and acknowledge Aussie's are more French than German :lol:
Rap is short for Rappel. This extreme abseiling sport which employs S.R.T. (Single Rope Techniques) was founded in Australia by former SAS (Special Air Service) Trooper, Peter 'Macka' Mackail in the late 80s, early 90s in Cairns, Far North Queensland Australia.
I find it funny that people who do not participate in a particular sport seem to think they know everything about it after they watch a few youboob videos or read a Wiki page. The art of going down a rope is actually called a lot of things in Australia not just abseiling and I bet if you actually get out there and immerse yourself in the sport you will find this to be true.
Professor of Lesbian Science
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Yeah, as a regular Australian Abseiler I certainly know that it's called the Aussie Rappel. We frequently call it forward abseiling though.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

hellboy wrote:Yeah, as a regular Australian Abseiler I certainly know that it's called the Aussie Rappel. We frequently call it forward abseiling though.
As a regular Australian the idea of forward abseiling is a naturally occurring thought (in truth I did offer to double the amount I sponsored my workmate if she would do it in that manner).

I doubt that a regular bloke from far north Queensland would ever come up with such a name, when our existing language suited perfectly well.

Perhaps we need to defer to Busty in this matter as he is the board expert on the language and cultcha of that area. :)
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

I have to fit my two hour weigh lifting regimen into an hour and twenty minutes this Thursday. is is possible? or will I hurt myself like a dick? :?
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Just make up for the lost time with some steroids
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy wrote:Just make up for the lost time with some steroids
never. I've never even ingested a supplement before. not my style.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Straight Edge for life!
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

hellboy wrote:Straight Edge for life!
well I don't know about all of that lol but December will be 11 years with no booze. not an easy task.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Congratulations! You must be a real hunk of a man! Can you post some pics of your pecs?
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

N.Y.H.C. wrote: well I don't know about all of that lol but December will be 11 years with no booze. not an easy task.
Why?

She asks as she sips her sparkling pinot with frozen strawberries.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

I gave up drinking soda... Not quite as impressive but still difficult none the less
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

xZ1mM3r wrote:I gave up drinking soda... Not quite as impressive but still difficult none the less
Personally I'd find giving up soft drinks much more challenging than booze.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

hellboy wrote:
xZ1mM3r wrote:I gave up drinking soda... Not quite as impressive but still difficult none the less
Personally I'd find giving up soft drinks much more challenging than booze.
It's been looooots of iced teas for me lately haha
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

liz wrote:
N.Y.H.C. wrote: well I don't know about all of that lol but December will be 11 years with no booze. not an easy task.
Why?
Maybe because alcohol is the devil and causes people to do stupid shit... :shock:
I stopped drinking most manufactured drinks like soda, tea, energy drinks, gatoraide, etc., long ago. I don't really miss them. Water rules! When I need something sweet I might grab a coconut water.
N.Y.H.C.
Serial Thrilla

Post by N.Y.H.C. »

liz wrote:
Why?

She asks as she sips her sparkling pinot with frozen strawberries.
everyone asks me that question, I honestly don't know why. I stopped and things got better, so I kept it up. I'm a creature of habit I guess. all my best friends are alcoholics and they love having a designated driver for life lol
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

basejumper wrote: Maybe because alcohol is the devil and causes people to do stupid shit... :shock:
Any time you wish to share your stupid shit Base please remember I'm here. I won't judge.
N.Y.H.C. wrote: everyone asks me that question, I honestly don't know why. I stopped and things got better, so I kept it up. I'm a creature of habit I guess. all my best friends are alcoholics and they love having a designated driver for life lol
Some people should not drink (to excess) it is true. I have had a couple of friends like that and to their credit they took control of their drinking. I am all for having a sober unaffected driver at the end of the night but in my experience they usually go home earlier than I wish to leave! :)
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

liz wrote: basejumper wrote:
Maybe because alcohol is the devil and causes people to do stupid shit... :shock:

Any time you wish to share your stupid shit Base please remember I'm here. I won't judge.
Thanks Liz. I rarely drink but I'll be sure to have a few if we meet and I'll let you in on all my secrets of the stupid shit I've done. :D
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Well, I completed the Lent challenge - running a mile a day for 40 days. I am sore and partially broken, but made it!
the chill
Duck Hater

Post by the chill »

Hell yeah hellboy! Great job. I deliver and work in my car all day and really need to move more.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

BUMP...

it's 2018 get out and do something!
8-)
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Back into it after a quiet 2017 with some knee issues. Trying to work towards a half marathon in the latter part of the year
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

hellboy wrote:Back into it after a quiet 2017 with some knee issues. Trying to work towards a half marathon in the latter part of the year
Im not a fan of running. I've never got what they call the runners high. I just struggle even though I'm not that slow.
Good luck on reaching your goal.
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Here are two workouts I've done recently...give them a try and let me know your times!

"Annie"
50-40-30-20-10
Double Unders
Sit-ups
-- Do 50 jump rope double unders then do 50 sit ups, then do 40 of each, then 30, 20 and 10. Record your time.

"Angie"
100 pullups
100 pushups
100 sit-ups
100 air squats
-- Complete 100 of each movement before moving onto the next movement. Record your time.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Yeah, well I'm a long way from running that half marathon...