Making money

For discussions that don't fit inside the other forums
Forum rules
Threads should remain on topic. Unnecessary trolling and bickering posts will be deleted. Some light hearted banter will be tolerated. Controversial topics such as racism, paedophilia and such will be deleted. The beatings will continue until moral improves.
basejumper
Droner

Making money

Post by basejumper »

Anyone out there investing/speculating in different things like stocks, real estate, businesses, bitcoin, etc? Would love to hear about it. Especially like to hear about obscure or just weird investments. I like the fact that there is so much out there thats outside the norm that you can make money with. I've made some and lost some and missed out, just barely, on making a killing a couple of times.

What does everyone thinks is a good rate of return on their investments?
Do you like more risky investments that may provide a higher yield or safer investments and lower returns?
Professor of Lesbian Science
brewdog123
RIP

Re: Making money

Post by brewdog123 »

there are things called bitcoins. get this, its a digital currency...
brewdog123
RIP

Post by brewdog123 »

eh, im just kidding, im terrible with money
Rockgirl
Bronco's Fan

Post by Rockgirl »

Havent started yet but brainstorming where I could start on this front without much $
I work at an auction house and a few people get stuff cheap at garage sales and bring it in and do all right profit wise but dont know if the money made is worth the time spent and the hit and miss factor of finding stuff profitable.
I think the stockmarket could be fun/rewarding but assuming you need more money than I could justify right now to get started.
Basejumper, what are you investing in or playing around with?
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

Hi Rockgirl,

working at an auction house is a great! You have an inside look at what things actually get bought and sold for. You have an advantage over many people when you know a items value. Seeing all the stuff come through there and what sells and what doesn't is a great asset. You can totally use that to your advantage and you do not need a lot of money to invest. To me, it's the return on your investment that dictates a good investment and if it's worth it.
An example is you find a lamp that costs you $15 at an estate sale or auction and you know it's worth more. You then resell it for $60 at your local flea market or through an online outlet. It takes you maybe 2 months at the most and you lose a small amount from selling fees etc so you actually may collect $52 and net $37. It may not seem like a lot but that's a huge 246% Return on Investment(ROI) and the annualized ROI is outrageous if you look at the time factor involved! The stock market isn't going to consistently make you that kind of return and you don't have the downside potential of losing money like stocks can if you have done a little research. You are in control of your investment and not the 'market' which can drop at the slightest sign of trouble. Stocks are volatile. I've lost plenty in that arena. I like having more control over my investments now.

As far as what I'm dabbling in.... everything! Haha. Seriously though, there is potential in so many areas to make money in. I buy and sell all types of things just like you can do. I go to many types of auctions and there is real potential for anyone who puts in the time and gets knowledgeable about the market they are dealing with. My 'go to' at the moment is real estate. It doesn;t have the huge ROI like some smaller investments can yield but I need fewer of those transactions per year to make what I would like and I can build a residual income from it. I can have a little more free time because of that.

You also can have an advantage by training you new child to work for you when they get old enough! Haha!
Professor of Lesbian Science