Australian politics thread

For discussions that don't fit inside the other forums
Forum rules
Threads should remain on topic. Unnecessary trolling and bickering posts will be deleted. Some light hearted banter will be tolerated. Controversial topics such as racism, paedophilia and such will be deleted. The beatings will continue until moral improves.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Re: Australian politics thread

Post by Calfium Jay »

hellboy wrote: Hey, don't be unfair here. They don't want to horde it, they just want to make sure the upper and middle classes get their cut...
Don't turn this into a class thing. It's not a class thing. If anything, Labor abandoned their "working class" ethics a long time ago - and are now pushing policies at "middle class bogans" with SUV's, cushy jobs and brand spanking plasmas. Labor hasn't represented the working man for yonks - they now do so in name only. So don't be fooled into thinking that a vote for Labor somehow is a vote for the working man. It isn't.

That's the biggest hang up I have with Labor - that they now stand for......nothing much - just a grab bag of thought bubbles and wasteful spending. They are more concerned about supporting their own hidden agendas (hello Mr Shorten!) than building for sustainable future growth.

And yes, I do realise that having a surplus ain't the be all and end all. But having a surplus DOES get a country through some pretty tough economic hang ups. Rudd could not have cash splashed with his $900 payouts to all and sundry back in 2008 were it not for the sensible economics of the previous Liberal government.

You do have to admit, it does make them look pretty stupid to annoiunce a good 18 months prior to the 2013 year that they would achieve a surplus by that time. Only then to announce a whopping deficit of 12 billion...I mean....18 billion....sorry 30 BILLION (which one is it Ms Wong?!?!). It just makes them seem as if they have little to no economic management. Rather, the economy seems to be managing them.

But I am willing to concede at this point that our collective minds are made up by now as to who we will vote for on the day - and arguing and slandering back and forth will change very little. So shake on it and be done - fire away at me if you must but I won't be firing back.

Do I honestly believe that life will be rosier under a Coalition Government? Nope.....pretty unlikely.

The selfishness is see from some of my middle class bogan friends is pretty disturbing these days. As long as I can get a 5 bedroom mini-mansion and another 10 inmches on my TV I don't give a fuck about anyone else.

I agree. I am surrounded by "middle class bogans" where I live. And they DON'T give a fuck about anyone else. Just look at how these idiots drive for a start. Me, me, me! Get out of my way. I drive a new car and I'm not going to obey the speed limit, because I'm very important and I have a job title and I drive a nice new car. So get the fuck out of my way....
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote: Don't turn this into a class thing. It's not a class thing. If anything, Labor abandoned their "working class" ethics a long time ago - and are now pushing policies at "middle class bogans" with SUV's, cushy jobs and brand spanking plasmas. Labor hasn't represented the working man for yonks - they now do so in name only. So don't be fooled into thinking that a vote for Labor somehow is a vote for the working man. It isn't.
I was being pretty facetious there. I'm not stupid enough to believe that either party is for the working man to be honest.

An election for me is always about choosing the lesser of two evils. All political parties, including those who I vote for have huge flaws in the policies

In my eyes there are no guarantees that the Libs will do a better job with the economy. They like to paint this picture that it was all roses during the Howard era, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't really the case. I certainly don't believe the economy will be any worse under the Libs. In fact for me personally the economy is largely a non-event these elections. Anything they get back by rolling back the Carbon Tax, is likely to be offset by the increase in prices from the Paid Parental Leave "Tax".

NBN is the big issue for me. This has the potential to be a game changer for Australian business and the economy, yet her we are, a week away from the Libs almost certainly winning and sending us back to the world of third rate internet. As disgraceful short sighted decision. I'd almost be tempted for the Libs if there was a box that said "On the proviso they don't roll back the NBN".

I've already commented before I think the Boat People thing is a non-issue. Let them in an process them in a humane way rather than fucking about buying boats and sending them to pacific islands. Both parties decisions here are moronic and inhumane.

As for gay marriage, I think it's safe to say that most who read Fourtheye are for it, the Libs stand there is pretty backwards. It's an issue that will resolve itself in time though, so isn't a big influence on my vote to be honest.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

Calfium Jay wrote: Labor hasn't represented the working man for yonks - they now do so in name only. So don't be fooled into thinking that a vote for Labor somehow is a vote for the working man. It isn't.
Scrapping work choices.

Paid parental leave.

Fair work act.

Capping private health insurance rebate.

Back to school payments.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Our next PM

[youtube][/youtube]
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

hellboy wrote:
Calfium Jay wrote: Don't turn this into a class thing. It's not a class thing. If anything, Labor abandoned their "working class" ethics a long time ago - and are now pushing policies at "middle class bogans" with SUV's, cushy jobs and brand spanking plasmas. Labor hasn't represented the working man for yonks - they now do so in name only. So don't be fooled into thinking that a vote for Labor somehow is a vote for the working man. It isn't.
I was being pretty facetious there. I'm not stupid enough to believe that either party is for the working man to be honest.

An election for me is always about choosing the lesser of two evils. All political parties, including those who I vote for have huge flaws in the policies

In my eyes there are no guarantees that the Libs will do a better job with the economy. They like to paint this picture that it was all roses during the Howard era, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't really the case. I certainly don't believe the economy will be any worse under the Libs. In fact for me personally the economy is largely a non-event these elections. Anything they get back by rolling back the Carbon Tax, is likely to be offset by the increase in prices from the Paid Parental Leave "Tax".

NBN is the big issue for me. This has the potential to be a game changer for Australian business and the economy, yet her we are, a week away from the Libs almost certainly winning and sending us back to the world of third rate internet. As disgraceful short sighted decision. I'd almost be tempted for the Libs if there was a box that said "On the proviso they don't roll back the NBN".

I've already commented before I think the Boat People thing is a non-issue. Let them in an process them in a humane way rather than fucking about buying boats and sending them to pacific islands. Both parties decisions here are moronic and inhumane.

As for gay marriage, I think it's safe to say that most who read Fourtheye are for it, the Libs stand there is pretty backwards. It's an issue that will resolve itself in time though, so isn't a big influence on my vote to be honest.
That's a terrible way of looking at modern democracy.

Sadly, it looks like it's pretty accurate.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Holy shit, did I write this when I was drunk?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Boss wrote:
That's a terrible way of looking at modern democracy.

Sadly, it looks like it's pretty accurate.
I don't disagree. I don't see any other way of looking at it to be honest. The two party system is deeply flawed.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Just got my postal voting forms - who wants to help me fill them out?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

hellboy wrote:Just got my postal voting forms - who wants to help me fill them out?
Put Arethra Franklin for everything and damn it you might be able to make a difference.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

All 73 boxes complete. That Cory Bernardi fuck got #73
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

I'm voting Palmer Party for the senate for the lols
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

There'd definitely be some good lulz if they made it.

In other news it looks like Libs have snuck in a Internet Filtering Policy today. Thankfully not as retarded as the ALP attempt was, but still, putting shit like this in the fine print of your policies 48 hours before an election is pretty shady...
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Where did you put your mate Nick Zenapokiesarebad
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

http://www.zdnet.com/au/australian-oppo ... 000020270/
The Coalition also announced that cyberbullying could potentially become a criminal offence.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote:Where did you put your mate Nick Zenapokiesarebad
Somewhere in the middle. After all the sensible parties, but before all the religious nutjob, racist and LNP parties.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Awwwww, I like Nick, his door stops are always solid gold.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Nah, he stands up to too many people to lazy to think for themselves. I can't abide that.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Problem gambling is abhorrent, the pokies really need to be reformed.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Not Tyson wrote:Problem gambling is abhorrent, the pokies really need to be reformed.
Actually I don't mind his stance on gambling. It's more his standing up for dim witted Today Tonight watching battlers that gives me the shits.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Some great quotes there. Makes George W Bush look like a genius...
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

Crow, did you even vote and why not???
Are you even registered?
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

That was, honest to God, one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen.

@Tyson: Of course I'm registered to vote. I've been unable to vote for the past two Federal elections, as the voting procedure is a little difficult if you live as far away from Seoul as I do.

I don't think my vote for the Greens would've mattered much, anyway.

Cute story: First time I went back to Oz, I found out that I had accrued a "civil fine" or some shit. I didn't look into it too much, but I figured it was my not voting for that first round. Even though I went to the electoral office before I left in 2007 and told them "what up".

Useless. But still a better democracy than most countries I've been to.