Beer/Ale/Lager/Cider Thread

For discussions that don't fit inside the other forums
Forum rules
Threads should remain on topic. Unnecessary trolling and bickering posts will be deleted. Some light hearted banter will be tolerated. Controversial topics such as racism, paedophilia and such will be deleted. The beatings will continue until moral improves.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Re: Beer/Ale/Lager/Cider Thread

Post by ms2r »

Beers good.

Alfa for the regular beer taste. Or Warsteiner.

Then for the specialities things like Erdinger or Hoegaarden.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

Love both Erdinger and Hoegaarden. Too bad they are overly expensive in Oz. What are the beer prices like in Holland? If I remember correctly you are in Holland no?
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

BlackHole83 wrote:Love both Erdinger and Hoegaarden. Too bad they are overly expensive in Oz. What are the beer prices like in Holland? If I remember correctly you are in Holland no?
Yes, Netherlands.

A tray of Alfa, 24 bottles @ 0,3l is about 12 euro.

1 bottle of Erdinger is about 1 euro and 50 cent. (0,5)
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

Can get a 500ml of Erdinger Dunkel for about 4.20 Euro

So I'll indulge in some decent beer one a month or so. Everyday brew is usually cheap shit
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

BlackHole83 wrote:Can get a 500ml of Erdinger Dunkel for about 4.20 Euro
holy f*ck.

That is expensive.

And then to think that beer in germany is even cheaper.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

I know bro. When I lived I Italy beers were cheap as fuck. Unfortunately where I currently reside, alcohol prices are fucking ridiculous. It is what it is, but still it kills me every time at the liquor store
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee
Height: Not A Fucking Manlet

Post by The Boss »

Fuck you all. I expect to pay NZ$10 for a beer now, no matter what it is at a pub or bar. More in a club. It might be a fair pilsener or something, but fuck me sideways - $10 a beer.

I tend to enjoy anywhere between six and fifteen in a night, so that costs me a small fortune. Miss the last train home at 12:30am, and that's $60 for a taxi home.

So yeah. That's why I'm home tonight. And probably from now on, unless there's an occasion.
O love will you read the letters I will send to you.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

With those prizes I would drink 1 beer a year. The positive thing is you appreciate that 1 beer a lot. A really lot.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Not really. I started drinking as quickly as possible after work on a Friday night so the booze would hit quicker - so then, I could slow down for the rest of the night, and not need to drink so much.

Though I think that says more about me, than the prices of beer here. :(
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

I live about a 30 minute walk (3-4 km's) from a craft brewery (http://www.fortitudebrewing.com.au) their beers are awesome, expensive ($7 a schooner), but really nice for a change. Good thing is after a session, I get to walk home through the rainforest (perhaps have a smoke on the way), it is normally an awesome day out...
Be good to each other.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

The Boss wrote:Not really. I started drinking as quickly as possible after work on a Friday night so the booze would hit quicker - so then, I could slow down for the rest of the night, and not need to drink so much. :(
I do exactly the same thing, normally I have had a 6-pack of Coopers by 7 pm - then slow down to enjoy the footy (NRL) or listen to music....
Be good to each other.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

PimPle wrote:
The Boss wrote:Not really. I started drinking as quickly as possible after work on a Friday night so the booze would hit quicker - so then, I could slow down for the rest of the night, and not need to drink so much. :(
I do exactly the same thing, normally I have had a 6-pack of Coopers by 7 pm - then slow down to enjoy the footy (NRL) or listen to music....
Man after my own heart. ;)
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

Fuck going to the pub or clubs, I did plenty of that shit in my 20's. Besides I would be a broke dick if I did. Gotta be smart and drink at home, that's the only way I can afford that shit here. Bought a 12er for 18 bucks tonight so it is a win win tonight.
not tyson
Grammy Winner
Height: 186cm

Post by not tyson »

All this talk about wine reminded me if you're ever looking for a bargain McGuigan Black Label Red is a fantastic red for it's price, been my go to for close to a decade.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

Well hello Mr Samuel Adams. It has been ten years since we last hung out. 17 bucks for a sixer. Flashbacks of D.C. Good times
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

I've decided that I'm making a stand:

Back when I was legal to drink at pubs in Oz, we'd be lucky to have more than four beers on tap. The Aussies here know what I'm saying.

Now, no matter what country you go to, there are all these arty-farty wankfest fucking beers. A Pilsner brewed with aromatic fruit hops from Tahiti. A naughty ale wit' a chocolate undertone. A fucking lager - A FUCKING LAGER - with rich wood tones, overlaid with a citrus burst.

Our blue-collar forefathers would lose their fucking minds.

I now go to the bar, as I did tonight just before the train, and order the cheapest, most normal looking beer on tap there. A rubbish glass of slop, that hits the spot, and doesn't hurt my wallet.

What's more, it didn't make me feel like a fucking pansy.

A fine beer is a fine thing - but honestly, it's fucking beer.

Get to your roots, give the finger to this nouveu bullshit yuppie scum masturbatory movement of "craft" fucking whatever, and drink beer like a man.

That's why I'll always drink VB, given the chance. Real beer for real men.

Or a solid Guinness, if you can. :oops:
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

On one hand, a fucking men.

On the other sierra nevada pale ale. The first American beer that I tasted and said oh, they CAN do something right.

The massive explosion of craft beer is a good thing, the prices they expect us to pay for that privilege is the difference.

The fact is two companies own 47% of the beer sold here each, that's 94% of the market.

They have that coca cola mentality, something gets popular, absolve it into the company.

The only one who has said to them get fucked is Coopers.

Based coopers.

But yeah fuck all this business politics, based fucking VB.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

The concept of the micro brewery here has boomed - and the wank, image, and prices that go with it are retch-worthy.

Don't get me wrong - I can and have afforded to drink like a smug asshole several nights here, once I actually got steady pays. But you just feel like a middle-class wanker doing it.

I grew up on working-class beer. That's my roots. That's ALL Aussie roots.

This might sound nuts, but this is a cultural thing for me. Eroding the culture of having a sloppy cheap beer next to a grizzled old dude at the end of a rough day NO MATTER WHERE YOU WORK is a national icon for most of the Western world.

And it's being fucked by this yuppie piss.
not tyson
Grammy Winner

Post by not tyson »

The Boss wrote: This might sound nuts, but this is a cultural thing for me. Eroding the culture of having a sloppy cheap beer next to a grizzled old dude at the end of a rough day NO MATTER WHERE YOU WORK is a national icon for most of the Western world.
You're fucking safe.

As much as they like to put yuppie beers on tap, sitting beside them will always be Tooheys New (Yuck) Old (Yum) and VB.

Always.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

The Boss wrote: This might sound nuts, but this is a cultural thing for me. Eroding the culture of having a sloppy cheap beer next to a grizzled old dude at the end of a rough day NO MATTER WHERE YOU WORK is a national icon for most of the Western world.
I am a lover of beers and an unashamed lover of my local micro brewery, which I happily pay through the nose for... But I agree with what you have said here I love the cultural heritage of Australian pubs... and the flies and maggots you get to meet (I worked as a chef in pubs for a long time and I called all the local regulars Bar maggots....)... In any case Coopers is the beer for me....
Be good to each other.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

Nice one, lads!

Wearing a pair of Coopers boxer shorts I "won" from a scratchie I got during a Coopers promo last year.

Much respect!
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

Great news. 12 pack of brews are now available down under.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

Made the HUGE mistake of giving VB a chance. This shit is fucking tasteless. Waste of money.
The Boss
LSDeeeeeee

Post by The Boss »

BlackHole83 wrote:Made the HUGE mistake of giving VB a chance. This shit is fucking tasteless. Waste of money.
Tootie-Frootie detected.

VB will never win any awards, but it's as damn fine a beer as you're going to get.

Let me know which country you're from. I'm dying to know now.
BlackHole83
Stinkyfist

Post by BlackHole83 »

I enjoy beer from all over the world. There are some damn fine beers here in Oz, usually on the micro brew level. Everyone has their own taste with beer, but VB is just not for me. I appreciate a well thought out full flavoured brew. Little creatures pale ale is fucking great. I've been drinking beer far too long to be drinking piss. The palate has definitely grown throughout the years.