Tool - 10 January 2016 - San Diego, CA

Tool travel across the US for a short tour playing dates in mostly the sourthern half of the country.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Tool - 10 January 2016 - San Diego, CA

Post by hellboy »

Please keep this post on topic - discussions not related to the show will be deleted by moderators. Spoilers (including setlists and pictures) may be posted in this thread after the show has taken place.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Tool - 10 January 2016 - San Diego, CA

Post by hellboy »

Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

More or less same set as the 2nd SF show. I'm guessing this is what we'll be seeing this tour, and Sweat out of all songs. Very happy with this setlist!
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

That was kinda fun. Just as I thought, it basically mirrored SF. Was that Virginiti Tres intro to No Quarter?

Let's see where they pull out Sweat going forward with the single night shows.... alternating cities? I hope they change it up again, at least by one or two songs.

But I am very satisfied with the two SF shows. Performances were excellent, especially being the first shows of the tour.
Ki77aan :twisted:
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

I missed the stream, was it any good?
Ettan
Dopocalyptic

Post by Ettan »

azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

Yea viginti tres to open up, got parabol, parabola and sweat! They dropped vicarious but did Stinkfist extended. Sweat was polished out tonight!
Last edited by azbay on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattw
Geacon

Post by mattw »

Hmmm... that was a tasty treat tonight in San Diego. Very nice indeed. A few subtle changes/additions/improvements with the visuals tonight. I noticed the star during The Grudge actually lit up with the white light towards the end of the song rather than at the beginning (actually not an improvement). But the two different screens used during Schism now have vertical fibre structures which appear to be growing closer towards each other as the song progresses, perhaps reiterating the emphasis or need on communication and growth etc. Very subtle extra bit.

Viginti Tres actually works really well as the band slowly make their way on stage. The drawn out vocal bit "Francisco.... Scaramanga....." spooks the shit out of newcomers and I loved it. And No Quarter just dominates in my opinion. Love it as an opener.

Once again though, MAYNARD is in really good form; he sounds like he's got a new groove or lease on his performing life. It's just so refreshing to hear him sing consistently through songs as so much of what they play sounds almost completely 'full' now. No songs tonight lacked anything from any band member.

And Danny Carey as a drummer is like... Steph Curry as a scoring point guard. Both just stand out so much in their respective crafts it feels like the distance between them and the next best talent is incredibly vast. Danny is just on another level. He's still adding little bits & pieces where he can throughout songs. His solo thing tonight was extended too. He's a machine.
azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

OK finally back to Arizona with time to write a proper review!
Where to start….X, yogi, DMT and a box of….alright alright, first off since I’m a bit of a merch whore you had to be there early! So if you don’t care about that skip to the next sect.

Evidently I lucked out showing up at around 4:30, seems at the Viejas venue they opened up one gate early just for merch (mind you that you didn’t even have to have a ticket to get in!) that was barricaded off only to the one merch tent split in two. One side sold the Primus artist poster and Tool signed posters while the other sold all the traditional stuff (shirts, keychain ect.) and unsigned posters. Well I was 2nd in line and luckily got the last artist print for Primus. So I really do feel bad for the fans that went and didn’t even have a chance to get the poster before the gates officially opened! Apparently the venue was selling both dates for Primus artist poster the first night as well. I also think that they did this too because the venue was not letting anyone inside with a poster tube at all, so it gave a chance for people to buy things and bring back to their car, that’s cool but still think unfair to offer up premium merch to the general public. i.e. the people that buy stacks of posters to obviously resell. Ok enough griping, just hope this helps any at all, GET THERE EARLY if you really want a good shot of getting what you want.

What a gloomy day it was! Overcast sky, grey clouds, a bit cold and drizzling in certain areas. Made you feel like you should be chilling out by a fire or something having hot coco and being lazy. I had partied hard the night before at The Field, and was making a recovery eating a delicious burger at Hodads, then to the Stone tap room (to have a hair from that dog that bit me!) before the show. So it was a bit strange for me not feeling the spark usually there when you know you’re about to engage in the best sensory overload known as TOOL. Anyways, I got there early enough to the venue to hear the soundcheck which was a portion of No Quarter, and the Grudge. Now there’s the moment it really kicked in!!

3 Teeth:
Industrial Metal band. You get what they offer; it’s loud, brash, electronically feed distortion with samples, post-apocalyptic mad max/the crow underground dark shit happens here club feel. I actually thought they did a good set for what they are, the sound was mixed well, stage presence was energetic, and they just rocked! I’ve read many people not liking them at all, especially saying they are just noise. So I don’t know if they finally dialed in the sound mixing or I just have more of an appreciation for them? Of course their lyrics are nothing special and repetitive at times, but remember they are Industrial Metal. To me best way to describe would be something that came out of the influence from Rammstein, KMFDM, NIN with some notes of Ministry.

Primus:
Perfection! Another true master of their craft! Once the lights went dark and heard the start of cymbals chiming… Too Many Puppies! I knew we were in for a treat! Primus was on their game and gave some tasty treats and song extensions and of course a different setlist from the previous night. Claypool: “Look at all you TOOL heads out there”. “We’re just a little a band you might not of heard of named Primus”. “Hey, I remember you from last night. I remember because you were wearing a TOOL shirt then too”. Southbound Pachyderm was a highlight for me and just phenomenal, followed by Jilly’s on smack having Claypool come out in his Pig mask playing the upright! Damn! You could feel that bass rumbling. Sound was spot on and the vibe was there that transported you into the genius of Primus leaving you feeling like you just returned from some other dimensional platform once it was over.

TOOL:
The main event! Using Viginti Tres as an opening track was awesome! Such a great way to have everyone enter onto the stage, once all onstage (sans Maynard) and track was finished they all played together a bit of something which I think was just to make sure sound was good, but at the time was like ummm this is not No Quarter, but they did their bit and then dove right into it. It was great to see No Quarter polished up compared to Monster Mash. Maynard entered in his battle get up and sadly used the bullhorn pretty much throughout the whole song, regardless it still sounded great. Then The Grudge! sooo freaking awesome that they have brought this back! Maynard of course didn’t do the yell at the end but he did do a good job of the Let go part. What was nice is it seemed his vocals were turned up louder than in the past as well. Parabol…..ok, so….are we getting the same setlist, monstermash 2.0? Who cares, Parabol into Parabola is a must imo and during this is when the videos start to begin, displaying the massive screen and what it commands at the end of Parabola.

Lighting and video of course amazing jobs, similar to Monstermash in the colors and ways opposing lights moved over the crowd, and of course the lasers! The star in the middle also had more focus and lighting to it, good job on projecting the lasers onto it to really make it pop and stand out at times! Seemed a lot of red lights and lasers were used through the set which I thought looked pretty tight. Maynard, as others reported, seemed really into it and did his dances and Maynard moves, getting into it all night. He was also holding notes longer than in the recent past, making it refreshing like old times where you didn’t have to imagine his vocal notes continuing. Maynard, “How many of you were here last night? San Diego, I’m sorry but you’re starting to sound like L.A.”. “OK Bakersfield here we go”. “So this is where I’m suppose to say something quipy and sarcastic about an earthquake, but I’ll let you insert something in there and figure it out for me”. Just one note that was fun to see was Danny helping out Adam with a signal to the next change in a song, and then Adam turning his head to acknowledge Dans help. So of course a few little flubs, but I’m not here to criticize or nit pick a great performance. It was nice to see and experience them raw at monstermash and then more polished at San Diego.

DC drum solo, epic! Cannot even explain. A true God at his craft. The lighting, video, synth, and drumming was unreal, DO NOT MISS THIS! It might just be me but I felt like he played a little longer for this show as well?

Next, boom datta batta ta boom! datta batta ta boom! You get what I’m trying to say! SWEAT! Stripped down, heavy, no video, single lighting color and they just nailed it! A little showing off bit with Justin ripping on his bass, and then done! Lights out! Maynard ”Thank you and good night!” Crowd “Nooo”, Maynard ”Thank you and good night!” Crowd “Nooo”, this continued about 4 to 5 times, “OK then, one more!”. Stinkfist, and the crowd continued to go nuts and of course got a heavy performance with the sick extended part! Just love when you hear the crowd “I’ll. Keep. Diggin…till..I… feee…” and Adam is just droning that riff on his guitar, then blasting into the extension! Such a great overall performance!! I know no mention of Justin. But Justin is Justin and just rocked out hard core throughout the night as he seems to always do. Cannot wait to see what these guys have in store for us down the line! Hope to see them again soon.

So enjoy the shows everyone else! Hope they continue to paper scissor rock the place like they did in SD!
aphex0
Bronco's Fan

Post by aphex0 »

Got a quick photo of all the passes when I was backstage - I was going to wait and post this after the tour but I thought maybe some folks would want to take a look. Sweat was awesome last night, sounded SUPER fresh and on point. Those screams were 90s MJK echelon.
Last edited by hellboy on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embed photo
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

Best video of Sweat I have been able to find so far on this tour!