Tool - 26 January 2016 - Charlotte, NC

Tool travel across the US for a short tour playing dates in mostly the sourthern half of the country.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Re: Tool - 26 January 2016 - Charlotte, NC

Post by hellboy »

hellboy wrote:
azbay wrote: did any else notice at monster mash during vicarious the weird track playback during the verse, like a ZOMBIE, into the TV...? It was like the the album version played with him singing just on those words?
They've been using that for a while now I think. One of them must have the samples loaded onto a keyboard or pedal.
Came across this IEM recording from 2007. Take a listen to Vicarious there, and you'll hear that similar samples are used in the chorus there.

azbay
RIP

Post by azbay »

^nice find, yeah I had no idea they were doing that weird little sample, never noticed until monster mash as the volume on it was significantly louder than the vocals.
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Maynard triggered the backup vocals himself with his foot from 2006-2010.

You can see it here
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

joeypants wrote:
Kittaan wrote:
joeypants wrote:Oh man, why did Charlotte get boned out of the side screens?!
What gives you the impression they did? I don't think much has changed in terms of the screens/projections from the first SF shows. In all the vids I've seen for this current tour, the layout looks identical to the shows I saw in SF.
There were no side screens at all in Charlotte. My friend went, and I was perusing Youtube videos and noticed. The arena doesn't look all that much smaller than the others, I'm wondering if it was a rigging issue or something.
Several things were at play there. For starters, the side screens in the past have been "rear-projection", with a projector behind them, usually up in the seats somewhere, or on a platform on the ground. The ones for this tour were "front-projection", with a projector on a platform near the sub cabinets at the downstage corners of the stage. With the lensing, they had a limited choice of places where the screens could go, ideally in-line with the main screen.
This necessitated rigging the motors for the screens over the seats most days. Not an easy task in a number of the venues, and I'm surprised they didn't get cut in more places. There was at least 1 of the shows where they had to be shrunk to 2 panels wide instead of 3.
Another factor at play is that Bojangles Coliseum is just plain old as fuck. Most arenas with "Coliseum" in the title are quite old.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bojangles%27_Coliseum
It was decided that they just couldn't get it done that day.

For those who don't know what the riggers do, a brief synopsis:

In normal venues, riggers climb out on beams and hang the wire rope and shackles (that the tour is carrying) where they are needed. The chains of the motors are hooked in to the wire rope and shackle "baskets" that are made on the ground, and then pulled up by rope, and wrapped around the beam to create a motor "point". On this tour, this process started most days at 6 or 7am.

Bojangles Coliseum has pre-made "stingers" for points that are attached to beam-clamps in locations that the building determined would be most useful for any tours. All rigging has to fit into the pre-made coordinates. The location of the side screens was outside of that.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

Thanks for the details Junior. Pretty interesting.
Ki77aan :twisted:
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Thanks, Junior! That's actually really interesting for the production nerd in me. I had no idea those were front-projection this tour. Although from my seat in Pensacola (dead center straight back) I couldn't notice the typical beams from the projectors behind the screens so I was wondering where the hell they were coming from.