Fear Inoculum

thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by thekillingjoke »

Danny wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:31 pm It’s an amazing track, opiateofthemasses channel is live now breaking down the song, especially the guitars.

If any of you play the guitar I recommend checking him out.
Wow, what a throwback. We did a thing together a few years back, but I've never seen his face before, let alone met him (being from different continents and all). Glad to see he is still around.

M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

brewdog123 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:44 pm
M0G wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:36 pm I hated it first 5 listens. I mean hated it. Called it the worst Tool song I had ever heard. It was the Puscifer style lyrics. The song also didn’t feel cohesive.

Then I put my ego aside and went back in with an open mind and I kept discovering layers of complexity in the music. At a certain point the lyrics, the style, the tone, it made sense. After about 20 listens on a good set of headphones I realized the song was fucking brilliant.

It wasn’t what I was expecting at all and I think that is a good thing. It challenged me more than any other Tool song. We all wanted evolution and change and this is that. This is a very different kind of Tool song. Yes the elements that make it Tool are there but how they go about presenting this particular musical idea is very very different. I get why it is the title track now.
i think its nice you gave it a chance and didnt go with your initial reaction. i understand not liking it, i understand loving it. but how do you go from worst tool song ever to brilliant? pretty dramatic change. kind of all over the place

either way, lets rock
Very dramatic change one I wasn’t expecting at all. Sometimes we have to get out of our own way.
The most intelligent person on this forum
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

M0G wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:36 pm I hated it first 5 listens. I mean hated it. Called it the worst Tool song I had ever heard. It was the Puscifer style lyrics. The song also didn’t feel cohesive.

Then I put my ego aside and went back in with an open mind and I kept discovering layers of complexity in the music. At a certain point the lyrics, the style, the tone, it made sense. After about 20 listens on a good set of headphones I realized the song was fucking brilliant.

It wasn’t what I was expecting at all and I think that is a good thing. It challenged me more than any other Tool song. We all wanted evolution and change and this is that. This is a very different kind of Tool song. Yes the elements that make it Tool are there but how they go about presenting this particular musical idea is very very different. I get why it is the title track now.
That's dedication for ya. Good lad.
PulsedHalo
Has been

Post by PulsedHalo »

Teary eyed. So damn proud of you Imogulus
rinkwhopper
Has been

Post by rinkwhopper »

The part starting at 9:00 is what the easter egg clip was, yeah?
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

I loved it first listen.

But then Bill did say I was bright...😂

Not sure how different it is. It is unmistakably Tool. That rolling bass and those gorgeous drums are the heart. And the ending. Just wow. Can't wait to stand in front of that!
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Man, seeing the reactions in discord and in the forum have me ecstatic to hear this new track.

Good to see that you gave it enough time to click, Mog. I figured you'd come around, but I like reading your new take on the song after your initial reaction.

Can this fucker leak soon so I don't have to wait 'til the 30th? :P
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
NowhereFaded
Bronco's Fan

Post by NowhereFaded »

ms2r wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:18 pm
NowhereFaded wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:09 pm I’ve been a tool fan since the mid nineties. Ænima days.
Have listened to FI 3 times.
It’s good.
I mean after 13 years can anything live up the the Hype?
Even new music by TOOL??

What jumps out to me most of all is where is the “hammer of the gods”, Adam Jones guitar tone and riffage. Where are the killer riffs that TOOL music is shaped by??

I can live with whatever Maynard contributes but I can’t live without Jones’ tones. Especially in the lead single. It’s baffling.

Am I the only one who immediately noticed this??
He is more about soundscaping and coherent overall sound.
Plus in the past I read enough comments that Adam wasn't an exceptional guitar player.
For me lucky enough he isn't someone who goes on overlong solos.
I rate him high because of the tandem with Justin.

Plus I never seen TooL as the killer riff band. They don't need that.
With all do respect almost every song on just their last album had killer riffs. I mean insane riffage.
Vic, Jam, pot, Ros st, Ri2...
Those riffs and tones are what encompass the tool sound and shape of their music .

IMO of coarse.
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

thekillingjoke wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:44 pm
Danny wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:31 pm It’s an amazing track, opiateofthemasses channel is live now breaking down the song, especially the guitars.

Wow, what a throwback. We did a thing together a few years back, but I've never seen his face before, let alone met him (being from different continents and all). Glad to see he is still around.

I’ve seen those on his channel, he’s a cool dude, he’s in a Tool cover band that put on great shows with lighting and screens.
His gear is amazing, he has a Silverburst,a Diezel and a Marshal just like Adam.

https://m.facebook.com/LateralusBand/
I forgot my pen
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

`
First impressions for me, as it has been with many TooL songs, is that it didn't immediately grab me as an epic piece that I would fall in love with. However, I know how TooL songs need to sit for a while with me to fully grasp their genius. There are so many layers in this song that its' hard for the brain to take it all in and process with just a few listens. Each time I listen I hear more, I see more and I appreciate more. 1st time was sober then a couple times through with something else to help ease into the melodies and transitions and the cacophony of sounds. Yes, at times, I feel like I want a different sounding Maynard but I think, with time, it will fit perfectly fine with the instruments. It has a familiar sound for sure, at times even Lateralus sounding epicness! Especially the last minute.

Overall, I'm certainly not disappointed. Looking forward to MORE TOOL MUSIC!!
I was number 17071 to listen on Youtube so that HAS to mean something right? I'll look into the numerology to be certain :lol:
Professor of Lesbian Science
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

liz wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:56 pm

I loved it first listen.

But then Bill did say I was bright...😂

Not sure how different it is. It is unmistakably Tool. That rolling bass and those gorgeous drums are the heart. And the ending. Just wow. Can't wait to stand in front of that!

Oh it’s Tool but the musical approach, theory composition, how they chose to get from point a to point b and how Maynard’s lyrics fit into that etc...it is a different sort of animal. It works exceedingly well but the vocal style and compositional flow felt at odds at first. It took awhile to figure out what they were getting at and for it all to click. I give them a hell of a lot of credit this was a balsy song to debut. It was always going to be polarizing. They could have taken an easier route with this song and built it off the ending which is more traditional crushing Tool and everyone would have loved it. But they took 9 minutes to get there. It works.
The most intelligent person on this forum
nxrm
Living Duller

Post by nxrm »

Bill Hilly wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:57 pm Man, seeing the reactions in discord and in the forum have me ecstatic to hear this new track...

I told myself I'd wait until the 30th, but I agree...a leak of the full album is fair game. :D
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

nxrm wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:10 pm
Bill Hilly wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:57 pm Man, seeing the reactions in discord and in the forum have me ecstatic to hear this new track...

I told myself I'd wait until the 30th, but I agree...a leak of the full album is fair game. :D
Come on Norm. Treat yourself. This is band released. They meant for you to hear it first.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."
CodeCracker
Maynard Believer

Post by CodeCracker »

What if I told you there's a connection between this song and Lateralus, and the connection is so sensitive I'm afraid to disclose it here?
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

M0G wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:36 pm After about 20 listens on a good set of headphones I realized the song was fucking brilliant.

This is what I am hoping to do tonight. I wish there was a lossless version of the song out there. Can anyone confirm if Google Play is 320 kb/s? Or which MP3 dealers have the highest quality?
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

I picture a tiny Liz on Norm’s shoulder, in red spandex... loulz.

I caved minutes after we took off. About a dozen listens so far. I liked aspects of it the first run through. Others have grown on me. Still not loving it as a whole, but so much appreciate the first new studio Tool music in 13 years.

I have to say, the EtE vocal style section was immediately apparent to me too. I didn’t hate it, but it was really obvious.

One thing about getting a song or two prior to a full album release is the ability to fully digest it on its own. There are merits to be argued for that as well as experiencing the full album in its entirety. I am really looking forward to the latter, and how hearing the 2 live tracks and FI will influence that. There is no one right way...

Now I gotta go get on the second f’n flight from DFW to home. Delayed again... ugh.

Thanks for keeping me entertained folks.
Ki77aan :twisted:
jackob2545
My pain is just an excuse

Post by jackob2545 »

nxrm wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:10 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: The Pressure is getting to you both, starting to break!

My wife who enjoys Tool and has been to multiple shows with me gave it a listen this morning at home while I'm at work. Her reply was "I teared up, That should tell you something, and I must say... Danny KILLED it!" That paired with all the commotion here has my hype train at a dangerous speeds. I still think opening the physical media and playing a disc while taking it ALL in at once was how this is meant to be done.

Good luck to you both and i'll see you on the other side!
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

I love it. I'll probably get stick for this but production wise before it gets heavy it reminds me of radiohead.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
CodeCracker
Maynard Believer

Post by CodeCracker »

Here's your clue.
I redacted what I don't want you to see ... Yet.
I am here if you wish to know more.
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

...concerning the new song:
I was eating spaghetti with my girlfriend, playing the song which was streamed at 2 o in the afternoon here in Germany.
Music, spaghetti, no words, then the song was over. "Pretty boring for Tool, isnt it?" "Yep".

And thats what we were waiting 13 years for. Wish the band had seen us with our damn noodles, being completly unimpressed.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

I haven't had time to read back through the last 4 pages (I will do that on work time)... But just had my first listen and overall really enjoyed the new song. As soon as I heard MJK singing I knew everyone would be all over the EtE sound, which distracted me from the song a bit, though it didn't bother me. I will listen to the song most of today at work. Overall I am just glad to finally hear some new music from these guys.
Be good to each other.
CodeCracker
Maynard Believer

Post by CodeCracker »

Scratch that last post.
I forgot a 1 from the Lateralus release date. Oops.
I put the correct date in and turned up some interesting numbers, so I'll be working on that.
Heavy load today. Mistakes were made.

I did find another connection between Lateralus and Fear Inoculum, though:
The 9-8-7 connection.

Fear Inoculum released 7/8.
Tomorrow is 8/8. This is an important date for anyone that knows a thing or two about numbers and has seen Back to the Future.
That was a joke. Goes a lot deeper than Back to the Future.
Day after is 9/8. This is an important date for anyone that knows a thing or two about Judaism and its connection to 8/8.

The artwork for Fear Inoculum is a serpent eye that appears to be made of a twisting metallic Fibonacci.
When doubled over, as in the YouTube video, you get the interior of a very important building that I believe the track is about.
13 years since last release. Nice number, right?

Oh, and 987 is number 17 on the Fibonacci. Or the letter Q. Take what you will.
More information can be given if needed. Pretty confident on my theories.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Spoonman wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:42 pm ...concerning the new song:
I was eating spaghetti with my girlfriend, playing the song which was streamed at 2 o in the afternoon here in Germany.
Music, spaghetti, no words, then the song was over. "Pretty boring for Tool, isnt it?" "Yep".

And thats what we were waiting 13 years for. Wish the band had seen us with our damn noodles, being completly unimpressed.
I bet they would of laughed their arses off you limp noodle dick
DeadGuyAle
of Arimathea

Post by DeadGuyAle »

Thanks! I caught him at the end of the FI song. That guy is really good!