Fear Inoculum

rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by rshforgothispw »

limeygringo wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:06 pm Holy shit, you guys, just realized how similar the fonts are! (No, Tool didn't rip them off, I'm not saying that at all, I just love Thin Lizzy)

I only realized that because I'm drinking this:

While listening to this because I've already listen to Fear Inoculum 10x today:

Holy shit that’s blonde Adam peeking at me
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

tys0n wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:08 pm The vocals have really grown on me, Maynard really sounds ethereal here when mixed with the other three, just floating through the music instead of trying to cut through like he used to do, back to the subtleness I always enjoyed about his vocals.
The vocals are excellent, that 'venom in mania' part cuts through just enough at the right time, but I love how balanced everyone is in the mix. They really sound like a whole here with no one overshadowing each other. Bottrill had that done to a t on Lateralus, and Barresi has done a great job finding a new sound while bringing back those classic elements. Cheers to Joe!
Ahhh, Infotainment!
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

guys I’m the 777th comment do I get my preorder early
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

tys0n wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:08 pm The vocals have really grown on me, Maynard really sounds ethereal here when mixed with the other three, just floating through the music instead of trying to cut through like he used to do, back to the subtleness I always enjoyed about his vocals.
Fav part is when Maynard sings "Exhale, expel, Recast my tale, Weave my allegorical elegy"
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
Sprout
Fanboi

Post by Sprout »

The "you" at 3:07, beautiful.
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

Thank god i never got into Puscifer, FI just sounds like Maynard to me.

And i think the drums sound great.
I forgot my pen
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Boldizar wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:25 pm
Unless these price points were just doled out incorrectly, I am almost certain the prices are high because suppliers are being forced to import North American supplies, rather than being offered their own local supply. They pay USD $45 plus shipping then charge the area based off that.
I accept that argument, but still - it's costing me AU$70 to get it from Amazon. About $15 of that is shipping, which a record store has the benefit of splitting via a bulk order. Any order above AU$100 is just ripping off Tool fans.
BellJH
Fanboi

Post by BellJH »

Love the first 6 minutes of this track, including Maynard’s lyrics and vocals which I think are excellent.

But the final four minutes don't do much to enhance the track. I find Maynard’s Grand Canyon copy and paste particularly frustrating (Exorcise the malady, poison for eternity vs witnessing the majesty, hope as far as one can see), especially how earlier in the song he was branching out vocally into new ground.

Overall good track but not as good as Invincible or Descending.
Calfium Jay
Queric
Height: 189cm

Post by Calfium Jay »

Nice intro. Crystal clear production. Good use of atmosphere..ethereal, sense of impending doom. Dig the tablas. Lyrics are good if a little overly simplistic and minimalist. I like the echoey effect on the tail end of each sentence.

"Bless this immunity" makes me cringe, as does the spoken/chanted vocal refrain around the 3:30 mark.

"Re-cast...my tail", I love that little bit. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Builds like a typical Tool song though - seems to follow a well worn template that they've been utilizing since Lateralus.

Guitar riffs are overly simplistic. No real experimentation, no real boundaries broken or chances taken. Adam definitely letting the team down.

It's nice (?!?!) but definitely by-the-numbers-Tool, ESPECIALLY the guitar work.

Strange track to have as an opener.

6.5 / 10
'It is time for us to be doing what we have been doing every day. And that time is now'

Actual quote from Kamala Harris
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

FI is getting much love online, especially on YouTube with the dozens of reaction videos already up.
I forgot my pen
Danny
Has been

Post by Danny »

Calfium Jay wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:00 am
Strange track to have as an opener.
Exactly my thoughts but are we sure this is the album opener? It’s showing up at number one of the track lists but that’s a technicality.
I forgot my pen
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

BLESS THIS IMMUNITY. So fucking good. I feel inspired. This track blew me away.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Calfium Jay wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:00 am Strange track to have as an opener.
I don't think it's confirmed as the first track on the album, just the first released.

I like this track a fair bit, and would probably stick it in the 7/8 out of 10 category. I do think it'll be one of the weaker tracks on the album though
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

9/10 at least for me at the moment. The song flows as the band described the album would be (the revolver interview). The build up from the intro through the various stages of Maynard's approach and lyrics is beautiful. The droning soundscape is immense.

Hype for the album is getting really high with Descending, Invincible and Fear Inoculum all three being in the elite league of TooL.
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

i hope its one of the weakest on the album. i cant stop listening to it but its been so long. i dig it though, its got a vibe for sure. its finally picking up! no more silence b.s and all that. its been a fun ride though. still is!
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Crazy they didn't release Invincible as the first 'single'
Canned audience laughter
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

tys0n wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:00 am Crazy they didn't release Invincible as the first 'single'
As in terms of previous singles and style then, yes, Invincible would be a much more obvious choice. Would be less tricky for the audience then Fear Inoculum.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Have to hand to em. One hell of a ballsy move and shows a lot of confidence in what they've created to go with that as the lead single as compared to say invincible.
Listen to All Them Witches
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Is it a part of the new video or what?
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:21 am Have to hand to em. One hell of a ballsy move and shows a lot of confidence in what they've created to go with that as the lead single as compared to say invincible.
Isn't that what I basically just said?
Canned audience laughter
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

I'm on a fuck ton of codeine and high fevers. I got no idea what anyone's said this last week
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

But yeah that's what ya just said. What can I say I'm a plagiarist
Ettan
Dopocalyptic
Height: 190cm

Post by Ettan »

Hahah you crack me up Busty, hope you feel better soon!
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Awwww it's ok Busty, we've all been there, I mean just the other day I was thinking that that Tool releasing Fear Inoculum as a lead single was one hell of a ballsy move and shows a lot of confidence in what they've created to go with that as the lead single as compared to say invincible.
Canned audience laughter
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

Busty McCracken wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:21 am Have to hand to em. One hell of a ballsy move and shows a lot of confidence in what they've created to go with that as the lead single as compared to say invincible.
Spot on as usual Busty! ;)

its true though, Invincible catches on easier after a few listens. ive been listening to this new one constantly, its kind of a ridiculous but i cant stop!

its not the codiene/meds, u keep saying you have no attention span! thats why. bahah :lol: jk dude