Fear Inoculum

children
Metalologist

Re: Fear Inoculum with SPOILERS

Post by children »

ziggy23 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:19 am
limeygringo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:23 am In The Court Of.., Larks Tongue in Aspic, Red, Discipline, Thrak, Power To Believe
Islands (1971)
A love everything Crimson has done but I get that people need a place to start. I myself struggled getting into them about a decade ago, but at some point it clicked and now I can't get enough. The Steven Wilson remix campaign has helped a lot though. Anyone new to them should go to those. The different eras make it difficult to suggest a starting point because it depends on a person's tastes. You can't really go wrong with In the Court of the Crimson King though; that's where I started and it's probably the most famous and popular album, as well as the easiest to grasp as a beginner. The 70's tuff gets much more experimental, and the 80's stuff might sound too poppy and clean for a Tool fan at first, even though they were more experimental than ever at that point and were still retaining their harder prog rock edge too. The trilogy of Discipline/Beat/Three of a Perfect Pair is probably their most cohesive era but may not be for everyone. The 90's stuff is great too and may actually be a good starting point for someone who doesn't listen to much 70's prog rock.
"That's what you get when you argue with children..." -Tyson
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Boldizar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:31 pm I too hope they play the entire album. Fingers crossed.

Also the riff into gong of Descending is perfect on the album recording. Everything is lined up the way it is supposed to be and I love how they mixed the gong into a panned, produced static/shimmer. They made the sound work instead of just having it be smacked and having the big abrasive clang take over everything. Best of both worlds.
Agreed. The chord played with it really gives it different life. Itll also make live descending that much more special.

Hasn’t Maynard said that playing a whole album is never going to happen? I would agree this one would be a great way to do it but don’t know if that’s something that’s up their alley.

IF they did do that, and added a few songs for encore what would be your choices for the 3?

I see m2s choices and would be cool with those minus right in two

I’d take

H
Third eye
The grudge
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

I'd love to see them do it but they have to cater for the average punter that wants stinkfist, schism etc. As proud as they seem of this album would be surprised to see it happen
Listen to All Them Witches
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by rshforgothispw »

I dunno that just might be the vicarious live intro. There’s another picking riff similar to invincible that I’m also hoping is on as a segue. It might’ve just become invincible but I was digging it
KamikazeShaman37
Maynard Believer

Post by KamikazeShaman37 »

Busty McCracken wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:14 pm I'd love to see them do it but they have to cater for the average punter that wants stinkfist, schism etc. As proud as they seem of this album would be surprised to see it happen

They need to move on from all that stuff when they tour this album (personally), but I wonder if it will happen. You fuckin’ KNOW the live production is going to be epic, but since they use so much A/V to pull it off they keep a static setlist like they have for years and years.

I bet it will be an 80/20 show where they go mainly with the new stuff but are able to switch out a few different classics each night to give it some form of spontaneous/surprise element to at least differentiate each show a little.

I think everyone was pretty sick of their repeater setlists back to back to back for the entire tour.

Can’t wait for the damn shows this fall!
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Tool_User wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:09 am You're a good lad tyson it's not true what they say about you!
Yes it is!

All of it!!
Canned audience laughter
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

Busty McCracken wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:14 pm I'd love to see them do it but they have to cater for the average punter that wants stinkfist, schism etc. As proud as they seem of this album would be surprised to see it happen
I'd be perfectly fine with them coming back out and playing Stinkfist, Schism and Lateralus. Would be an amazing encore actually.
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

Anyone else hear the radio edit of FI yet? Rather hard hitting tune in a truncated format. Missing the soundscapes but it was an interesting listen. I wonder how the edits are coordinated with the band/label?
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

They will just sprinkle 3 of the new songs through their setlist each night, so you guys go to multiple shows hoping to collect each one, their live songs are like pokemon.
Canned audience laughter
KamikazeShaman37
Maynard Believer

Post by KamikazeShaman37 »

tys0n wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:49 pm They will just sprinkle 3 of the new songs through their setlist each night, so you guys go to multiple shows hoping to collect each one, their live songs are like pokemon.
That’s what I’m thinkin’

But G’damn if they threw in some really rare shit among their pop hits that would be just perfect.

Anyone have ideas about who is warming up the stage for them? Would be cool to see some collaboration and improv for stuff like CC trip.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Yeah but they don’t change the set list so my guess is

Fear Inoculum
Descending
Invincible

I’d love 7empest too but how can they do 4 songs with so many other tour staples
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Well the first segue comes before Invincible so there's a good chance that's what it is..
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I think 7empest might be a staple in these run of shows just like D/R/T was during the Lateralus era.

Just needs a bunch of naked dudes swinging from the ceiling.
Canned audience laughter
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

With 10,000 Days they played shows with Vicarious, Jambi, Wings, 10,000 Days, Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned. With Lateralus they played shows with almost the complete album, so, who knows.... They did their greatest hits tour just this year. Including three new songs.
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Takeo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:49 pm Anyone else hear the radio edit of FI yet? Rather hard hitting tune in a truncated format. Missing the soundscapes but it was an interesting listen. I wonder how the edits are coordinated with the band/label?
Interesting..link?
Moridin
Has been

Post by Moridin »

Takeo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:49 pm Anyone else hear the radio edit of FI yet? Rather hard hitting tune in a truncated format. Missing the soundscapes but it was an interesting listen. I wonder how the edits are coordinated with the band/label?
I remember Justin speaking about radio edits a couple of times, from what I recall the band don't do them, if a radio station want an edit they have to do it themselves.

What station were you listening to?
tompie
My pain is just an excuse

Post by tompie »

I had initially posted this in a reddit thread. Still think this is mostly right but I am now thinking that Culling Voices probably won't get all that much rotation (but that's my personal bias coming through)

Given the way they have previously done things and the sheer length of the new songs, my really really really rough guess without looking at whether this comes up too short/long is something like this

Something off of Opiate or Undertow like the Part of Me/Intolerance situation we have now

Something off of Aenima (likely candidates are title track, Stinkfist or 46&2)

Something off of Lateralus (likely candidates are Schism or Parabola)

Two of Vicarious, Jambi and The Pot

4 of the 6 new full length tracks with 7empest as a probable constant and the others being swapped (so that's 3 of FI, Pneuma, Invincible, Descending and Culling Voices)

Now occasionally they throw in a little surprise like how they brought Flood, Part of Me, Third Eye, Hooker, The Grudge and The Patient back in recent years, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see a new Aenima or Lateralus track in there (Eulogy? H? Jimmy? Pushit? Reflection? who knows...)
children
Metalologist

Post by children »

Nobodi mentioned Maynard's voice on Pneuma when he does the wake up child part. That shit gave me chills on first listen!
C_Dreyer
Maynard Believer

Post by C_Dreyer »

Hullabaloo92 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:56 pm
There was this slow guitar play by Adam right before Vicarious (starts around 06:10), ToolArchive also used it for his New Album Update video series.
I expected it to be on Fear Inoculum, but I just couldn't find it.
Could this be one of the other three interludes on the digital Version?
New/unused material they're already demoing, would be my guess.
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

Moridin wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:11 pm
I remember Justin speaking about radio edits a couple of times, from what I recall the band don't do them, if a radio station want an edit they have to do it themselves.

What station were you listening to?
98KUPD in Arizona. I heard it live and they intro’d it, but it was otherwise noisy so I couldn’t quite gather how they described or prefaced it. I would estimate it was about 6 minutes.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

tys0n wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:03 pm I think 7empest might be a staple in these run of shows just like D/R/T was during the Lateralus era.

Technically, one of those is female.
The other one is a Demogorgon.
junior
Green Herbsman

Post by junior »

ms2r wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:07 am tool_user got the linkylink.
Without_a_skin_here wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:46 am Where is btw the 20 minute song? Or is it the combination of CCT en 7empest?
Exaggeration on reviewers part who didn't have tracklist and lengths during the listening sessions.
That's my guess, or they counted the segue that follows it.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Still haven’t seen junior confirm the tracklist floating around

jkjk
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

junior wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:45 pm
tys0n wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:03 pm I think 7empest might be a staple in these run of shows just like D/R/T was during the Lateralus era.

Technically, one of those is female.
I know, but just the thought of a bunch of naked dudes swinging from the rafters should give the metal heads room to pause :lol:
Canned audience laughter
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

no, thats not what you meant tyson. come on dude! haha