Fear Inoculum

Boldizar
Optomist

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by Boldizar »

ms2r wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:27 pm
Boldizar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:37 am I agree over all that this album was rushed in terms of production. There are several mistakes on the drum track throughout the album, but the worst thing is the overall sound. It still sounds good, but it isn't a consistent experience. Sometimes there is distortion, sometimes the mix gets really compressed, etc...
Weird. I have a hard time listening other albums these days because of the wonderful produced sound on fear inoculum. The sound is so full and rich, filled with crisp details.
It isn't bad, the way the recorded stuff generally is really clear and detailed. It just has odd parts where the quality isn't consistent and weird things happen.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

Boldizar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:37 am I agree over all that this album was rushed in terms of production. There are several mistakes on the drum track throughout the album, but the worst thing is the overall sound. It still sounds good, but it isn't a consistent experience. Sometimes there is distortion, sometimes the mix gets really compressed, etc...
I don't agree. The album ounds fantastic, with or without the mastering problems of peaking here and there.
All in all it sounds very "oldschool" to me and I like that.
bob wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:46 am
Spoonman wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:39 pm Anyone with a 5.1 sound system should try playing the album in Pro Logic.

"CC Trip" moves around your room in 360°, it sounds just like it was mixed in 5.1 :)
i dont have 5.1 and i use to think (still sorta do) its kind of gimmicky but electronic music seems to make sense for something like this. cool! ill have to remember that!
I rarely/never listen to music in 5.1 (except it's a real 5.1 mix), but sometimes it's interesting to see what the processors are able to simulate. :)
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon
Height: this tall

Post by ToolFanFromWayBack »

Spoonman wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:06 am
I don't agree. The album ounds fantastic, with or without the mastering problems of peaking here and there.
All in all it sounds very "oldschool" to me and I like that.
bob wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:46 am
Spoonman wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:39 pm Anyone with a 5.1 sound system should try playing the album in Pro Logic.

"CC Trip" moves around your room in 360°, it sounds just like it was mixed in 5.1 :)
i dont have 5.1 and i use to think (still sorta do) its kind of gimmicky but electronic music seems to make sense for something like this. cool! ill have to remember that!
I rarely/never listen to music in 5.1 (except it's a real 5.1 mix), but sometimes it's interesting to see what the processors are able to simulate. :)
Cant we blame it on Danny for almost burning down the studio?
tompie
My pain is just an excuse

Post by tompie »

As a drummer, my take on this topic is that yes, there are indeed drum hiccups on the record. They're not huge, but there are enough timing inconsistencies that make it more apparent than on any other Tool record that it was not tracked to a click. Sometimes I find them a little distracting. Other times the more "live" sound and feel of the record makes me feel like I'm in front of the band and it makes for a thrilling experience. It is what it is.

On the whole, I love the sound of this record. I think Joe achieved a really great balance between the live off the floor feel and the sort of sonic precision and immersion you occasionally need when dealing with a pretty psychedelic band. Go too hard in any one direction and you can ruin it big time. Hats off.

If I have one real gripe, and this is perhaps the most subjective of them all, it is in the mixing. Joe is a guitar guy in a way that I occasionally find unsatisfying. That's probably a strength when you're dealing with the Melvins or QOTSA. Not Tool. IMO, Jones always has been and always will be the weakest instrumentalist of the band. Amazing tone, creates great atmosphere, knows his strengths well. But he is the ice cream on top of a delicious pie. You still want more pie than ice cream in every bite. I felt this way before catching any of the shows but seeing them live on this tour really hammered home a few moments where the guitar is just too damn present in the mix. The entire portion of the title track after Maynard's last vocal lines, for example, felt absolutely massive live. The bass and drums were pummeling. It felt like the ground was breaking underneath that little "solo" wah bit Adam does. Took the track to a whole new level for me. On record? It's so fucking guitar heavy.

Anyway, those are my two cents.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

tompie wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:39 am As a drummer, my take on this topic is that yes, there are indeed drum hiccups on the record. They're not huge, but there are enough timing inconsistencies that make it more apparent than on any other Tool record that it was not tracked to a click. Sometimes I find them a little distracting. Other times the more "live" sound and feel of the record makes me feel like I'm in front of the band and it makes for a thrilling experience. It is what it is.

On the whole, I love the sound of this record. I think Joe achieved a really great balance between the live off the floor feel and the sort of sonic precision and immersion you occasionally need when dealing with a pretty psychedelic band. Go too hard in any one direction and you can ruin it big time. Hats off.

If I have one real gripe, and this is perhaps the most subjective of them all, it is in the mixing. Joe is a guitar guy in a way that I occasionally find unsatisfying. That's probably a strength when you're dealing with the Melvins or QOTSA. Not Tool. IMO, Jones always has been and always will be the weakest instrumentalist of the band. Amazing tone, creates great atmosphere, knows his strengths well. But he is the ice cream on top of a delicious pie. You still want more pie than ice cream in every bite. I felt this way before catching any of the shows but seeing them live on this tour really hammered home a few moments where the guitar is just too damn present in the mix. The entire portion of the title track after Maynard's last vocal lines, for example, felt absolutely massive live. The bass and drums were pummeling. It felt like the ground was breaking underneath that little "solo" wah bit Adam does. Took the track to a whole new level for me. On record? It's so fucking guitar heavy.

Anyway, those are my two cents.
Solid 2 cents mate. I agree Justin could definitely be brought up at stages but I guess I'm used to bass playing second fiddle so much that as long as I can actually hear the bass I'm ok with it. Am definitely looking forward to hearing FI live. Is gonna be tits.
Listen to All Them Witches
BellJH
Fanboi

Post by BellJH »

Has anyone else’s appreciation of 10K Days gone up massively since Fear Inoculum came out?

FI is a good album, but overall it can’t hold a candle to 10K Days. What an absolute work of art that album is.

I kinda wish they had just released 1-2 track EPs since 10k Days in order to make the most of Maynard’s waning vocal abilities. Feels like a bit of a missed opportunity, but oh well. C’est la vie.
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

I like FI much better than 10000 Days (!)
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Not much but FI is better. No weak spots.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

I like them equally I guess. They are very different albums.

For me it goes like this.

Aenima. 10/10
Lateralus. 9.99/10

All their other albums.... somewhere behind these two but still great.
Listen to All Them Witches
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

Nah

FI 10/10
10k 9,8/10
Aen/Lat 9,6/10

;)
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

BellJH wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:16 am Has anyone else’s appreciation of 10K Days gone up massively since Fear Inoculum came out?
Nah, haven't listened to it since FI came out
Canned audience laughter
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

tys0n wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:53 pm
BellJH wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:16 am Has anyone else’s appreciation of 10K Days gone up massively since Fear Inoculum came out?
Nah, haven't listened to it since FI came out
me either. that remains my least fav tool album. FI is better which is all i was hoping for.
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

I love 10,000 Days.
I don’t think 10,000 Days holds a candle to Fear Inoculum.

Ænima 10/10
FI/Lateralus 9.99/10
Others 9.98/10

8-)
All well Whatever, Nevermind
bob
Toast

Post by bob »

a long time ago i said if i had to pick one tool album it would have to be Lateralus. Aenema is a close 2nd but Undertow has that super tight feel almost as much as Lateralus but its diff of course. Undertow gets a little forgotten about but thats a really solid album too. Or in other words the first 10 years. thats pretty good for any band. after that its just a bonus.

that also reminds me of something someone said to me awhile back. a lot of bands, the first 3 albums are usually there best. its kinda true and worth thinking about.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I reckon their next album will be their best
Canned audience laughter
Whowatchesthewampas
Green Herbsman
Height: 6

Post by Whowatchesthewampas »

It’s Ænima and then Lateralus then FI for me. Ænima is just so good, there isn’t a song I want to skip on that album
Falling isn't flying
Floating isn't infinite
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon

Whowatchesthewampas wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:02 am It’s Ænima and then Lateralus then FI for me. Ænima is just so good, there isn’t a song I want to skip on that album
Its a toss up between Ænima & Lateralus for the me. The machine noise right before the instruments kicks in on The Grudge always gets me hyped.
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

I still don't understand why 10k gets shit on all the time. I can't find one weak spot on that album. On any of their albums for that matter... Perhaps maybe 72826 but that's only coz it was a demo, but even then they were way ahead of their peers. Each of TOOL's albums are of a different beast. Yes I get that. But weak? Nonsense! They're all 10/10 of you ask me.
Did someone ask me?
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
Whowatchesthewampas
Green Herbsman

I won't disagree that 10K is a good album, it just isn't my favorite TOOL album. Would I listen to 10K days over anything other than TOOL put in front of me, absolutely!
Falling isn't flying
Floating isn't infinite
ToolFanFromWayBack
Geacon

I can't listen to Wings for Marie without calling my mom afterwards.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I can't listen to Wings for Marie without calling your mom afterwards either.
Canned audience laughter
Whowatchesthewampas
Green Herbsman

Bazinga!
Falling isn't flying
Floating isn't infinite
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

Fear Inoculum one year anniversary incoming.

Should we be on the look out for any surprises? Perhaps a new video?

Maybe we'll finally get access to that re-recorded Opiate track with video?

Only time will tell.

:D
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I'm thinking a remix album featuring 6ix9ine & Cardi B
Canned audience laughter
ziggy23
Rent Freznor

Post by ziggy23 »

nxrm wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:19 am Maybe we'll finally get access to that re-recorded Opiate track with video?
It's too early, my friend, we'll have to wait for another 13 years :mrgreen:
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.