Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by ms2r »

Anti-vax.
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

Holy Gift!
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

interesting...

Inoculum:
a substance used for inoculation.

Inoculation:
the action of inoculating or of being inoculated; vaccination.

Fear Inoculum:
The substance used to prevent or vaccinate against Fear.
Ghenghis
Maynard Believer

Post by Ghenghis »

Stoic approach to fear. Prepare for the worst by practicing the worst case scenario.
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

Let’s say the substance is more of a voice or message meant to inoculate fear. To “vaccinate” or maybe to brainwash with fear. Just a thought.
All well Whatever, Nevermind
fractal-machine
Has been

Tool is giving fear vaccinations.
Think for yourself. Question authority.
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

xZ1mM3r wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:14 pm interesting...

Inoculum:

Inoculation:

Fear Inoculum:
Not grammatically correct. Inoculum is the substance or material being used to inoculate. The substance in a sentence goes directly in front of Inoculum. So in a sentence the material ALWAYS goes in front. Fear Inoculum could not be a substance used to prevent or vaccinate against Fear that would not be grammatically correct.

Go look it up. Any science journal or any basic dictionary.

To be more precise as it stands, Fear Inoculum would be the act of injecting Fear into an organism to create a resistance against a disease. So the only way you could get to your definition would be to make an assumption as to what the disease is. To further clarify, if we are going exactly as defined, your definition would be Using Fear as an Inoculum to create a resistance against Fear, which just comes off as foolish and long winded, not to mention having to create an assumption that Fear is the disease to make it work grammatically.
The most intelligent person on this forum
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

M0G wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:34 pm
xZ1mM3r wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:14 pm interesting...

Inoculum:

Inoculation:

Fear Inoculum:
Not grammatically correct. Inoculum is the substance or material being used to inoculate. The substance in a sentence goes directly in front of Inoculum. So in a sentence the material ALWAYS goes in front. Fear Inoculum could not be a substance used to prevent or vaccinate against Fear that would not be grammatically correct.

Go look it up. Any science journal or any basic dictionary.
What would i ever do with out the all knowing M0G.... thank you for correcting me. Im sure you and Maynard had a great time discussing the meaning of the album title and how it ties into the theme of the record. Great stuff. Looking forward to hearing your input on Joe's podcast today.

For a person that has insisted they only care about the music, and who doesn't give a shit about titles, art, or packaging you sure are active today.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

M0G wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:34 pm your definition would be Using Fear as an Inoculum to create a resistance against Fear, which just comes off as foolish and long winded, not to mention having to create an assumption that Fear is the disease to make it work grammatically.
Thats actually exactly how I interpreted it. It fits right in with Maynards pretty obvious politicaly standing, as well as the media hub bub about "fear mongering" etc. with todays hot topics... it makes total sense that MJK would release a record to work against it. to eradicate fear.
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

Shed523 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:20 pm Let’s say the substance is more of a voice or message meant to inoculate fear. To “vaccinate” or maybe to brainwash with fear. Just a thought.
This is what I’m thinking
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

xZ1mM3r wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:49 pm
M0G wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:34 pm your definition would be Using Fear as an Inoculum to create a resistance against Fear, which just comes off as foolish and long winded, not to mention having to create an assumption that Fear is the disease to make it work grammatically.
Thats actually exactly how I interpreted it. It fits right in with Maynards pretty obvious politicaly standing, as well as the media hub bub about "fear mongering" etc. with todays hot topics... it makes total sense that MJK would release a record to work against it. to eradicate fear.
Unfortunately that is simply not grammatically possible based off the title itself.

They could have called the album Turds Marching in Formation and I wouldn't give a shit. I am simply correcting your grammar as you were under the wrong assumption of how Inoculum is defined and used in a sentence because your definition is simply wrong. An Inoculum is any material used in an inoculation. That is the definition. Using Fear Inoculum in a sentence would simply mean you are using fear as a substance in an inoculation. English. Not me.

Let's take a closer look. You couldn't use the title to frame a case for Maynard releasing a record to eradicate fear based off the title because that doesn't work grammatically. Going off your assumption the record, to be correct grammatically based off the title, would be using Fear as a Substance in an Inoculation to create a resistance against Fear. The point being USING fear to eradicate fear. You are missing the using part, which again is still based on an assumption because the disease is not defined. This is english 101 stuff. Not trying to give you a hard time just trying to clear up what Inoculum is and how it is used properly in a sentence.

Also trying to point out why the title is a bit off
Last edited by M0G on Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Yea you're right.... Ænima and Lateralus fit all grammar and English 101 rules... I forgot about that.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

xZ1mM3r wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:06 pm Yea you're right.... Ænima and Lateralus fit all grammar and English 101 rules... I forgot about that.
Aenima is a play on anima, which Jung used often (see Forty Six & 2) and having an enema. The play on words fits. Lateralus is a play on Lateral thinking. Neither were trying to be grammatically accurate.

Fear Inoculum doesn't work as a play on words based off the narrow definition of what an Inoculum is. So based of the title alone to say Fear Inoculum is an inoculation against fear is completely grammatically wrong.

You are taking this personally and I am not entirely sure why. I am pointing out defined grammar. Not my opinion. Defined grammar. I am not attacking you. If you feel that way I apologize. I won't saying anything more on it. I am sure it is going to be a very good album. Enjoy
ziggy23
Rent Freznor

Post by ziggy23 »

"Album Art, Lead Track, and Pre-Order info TBA. Thank you for your patience."
Last edited by ziggy23 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

Lead track.. Guess that's the single. Hum dinger!
basejumper
Droner

Post by basejumper »

M0G wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:19 pm
xZ1mM3r wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:06 pm Yea you're right.... Ænima and Lateralus fit all grammar and English 101 rules... I forgot about that.
I am pointing out defined grammar. Not my opinion. Defined grammar.
M0G, you have not won the moderator poll yet so you are not correct in your use of authority. Kiitaan still holds that power.
:P
Professor of Lesbian Science
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Anagram/Anagrammers time!

Unmerciful au (au is gold on the periodic table), simple google search leads to the Parable of the Unforgiving Servant.

or others

Fear Manicure

A Uniform Clue

A Foul Numeric

Clue in a Forum

Lure of a Cumin

I am Uncle Four
Canned audience laughter
ziggy23
Rent Freznor

Post by ziggy23 »

Lunarium Cola
- You like noisy music?
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Here's my thoughts on why I think it's silly to be ragging on the new title.

When you first got into Tool, whether it be after Aenima , Lateralus or whatever. When you first heard the album did you instantly say to yourself what a crap album title, it sounds cliché, silly, forced, grammatically incorrect etc etc. I would argue you enjoyed the music and accepted the album title for what it was without too much judgement. It's your own bias and love towards the band and just general insta rage that society seems to have these days that is likely making you judge the title. It's an album title for fucks sake and we don't know the full context yet. At least try reserve your judgement until you see the final product is all.

This is a good day, not a day for ranting. Back catalogue to be released this week, new single to drop soon, track listing. One month to the day we get new album,. Be happy people.
Listen to All Them Witches
ziggy23
Rent Freznor

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Busty McCracken wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:05 pm Here's my thoughts on why I think it's silly to be ragging on the new title.

When you first got into Tool, whether it be after Aenima , Lateralus or whatever. When you first heard the album did you instantly say to yourself what a crap album title, it sounds cliché, silly, forced, grammatically incorrect etc etc. I would argue you enjoyed the music and accepted the album title for what it was without too much judgement. It's your own bias and love towards the band and just general insta rage that society seems to have these days that is likely making you judge the title. It's an album title for fucks sake and we don't know the full context yet. At least try reserve your judgement until you see the final product is all.

This is a good day, not a day for ranting. Back catalogue to be released this week, new single to drop soon, track listing. One month to the day we get new album,. Be happy people.
No rage to be found that I can see. I don't like the title but I agree overall it is certainly a good day. It being a good day doesn't mean one HAS to like the title. That is not a requirement. No judgement has been passed on the album based on the title, nor will there be from me at least. I am NEVER going to like Fear Inoculum as a title. That has ZERO impact on how I will judge or score the album.
fractal-machine
Has been

ziggy23 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:18 pm
Interesting
liz
Lunchinator

Post by liz »

M0G wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:34 pm
To be more precise as it stands, Fear Inoculum would be the act of injecting Fear into an organism to create a resistance against a disease. So the only way you could get to your definition would be to make an assumption as to what the disease is. To further clarify, if we are going exactly as defined, your definition would be Using Fear as an Inoculum to create a resistance against Fear, which just comes off as foolish and long winded, not to mention having to create an assumption that Fear is the disease to make it work grammatically.
What crap. As it stands Fear Inoculum could be a directive or suggestion. Raffa called it second post. It could also be an act of fear prevention as Z suggests. When we inoculate something we use part of that something to teach our bodies how to fight it.

Mog Inoculum for example can be achieved by micro dosing with verbose repetitious rants. After a while the brain begins to actively, but subconsciously, decipher Moggisms and move them quickly on without unnecessary soiling and contamination of our higher functioning.
"She's a very charming and delightful creature, and has only one fault that I know of. It happens, unfortunately, that that single blemish is a want of taste. She don't like me."