Fear Inoculum

Matthewc25
My pain is just an excuse

Re: Fear Inoculum with SPOILERS

Post by Matthewc25 »

I’m trying to get into king crimson. Can you guys list off some good songs/albums to start with?
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

In The Court Of.., Larks Tongue in Aspic, Red, Discipline, Thrak, Power To Believe
Ahhh, Infotainment!
limeygringo
Green Herbsman

Post by limeygringo »

thekillingjoke wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:37 am The beginning/ending of 7empest sounds a whole lot like "Frame By Frame" off King Crimson's "Discipline", one of Danny's favorite albums.

If it's not a conscious tribute/citation, he must at least have rubber-stamped it during songwriting.
Rosetta definitely has some Thela Hun moments. Yeah, I really do wonder what Fripp and co. think. Probably something along the lines of imitation is the best form.of flattery, plus they're obviously not lifting whole songs, just stylistic similarities sprinkled in here and there.
Ahhh, Infotainment!
Raffa D
of Arimathea

Post by Raffa D »

Rosetta definitely has some Thela Hun moments. Yeah, I really do wonder what Fripp and co. think. Probably something along the lines of imitation is the best form.of flattery, plus they're obviously not lifting whole songs, just stylistic similarities sprinkled in here and there.
[/quote]

Fripp has said that he doesn't heart King Crimson in Tool. Source: Unleashed: The story of Tool
thekillingjoke
Fanboi

Post by thekillingjoke »

Tool and Fripp did an interview together on a 2001/2002 newsletter. Trying to find it right now...
Fripp was very british about it. I also think he would not admit feeling copied because he probably deems himself uncopyable. :)
joeypants
Goderator

Re: Fear Inoculum

Post by joeypants »

First off, I have a really hard time ranking any of their albums post-Opiate. Having said that, really hard to not immediately rank this as maybe their finest work yet pound for pound. My lord.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Takeo wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:20 am
how could anyone sit there and watch/listen to that stupid fucker speak on the internet. He should stay forever irrelevant and yet the internet gives zeros like him a voice. Shameful.

Pretty good album. I find myself searching for high points but it’s consistent and engrossing. A very composed piece of art.
Besides the stupid hipster mustache, is there something I don't know about this guy? I came across this the other day as well and though it was a nice little summary of online BS I was not around to see in real time.
I know the pieces fit, I studied the numbers in Southern France.
tiresias
Has been

Post by tiresias »

Wooooooo Budddy. These live shows are going to be something. Hope they release tour dates soon, so I can give them all my money.
“Casual Fan”
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

This thing is so dense that it’ll need to be unpacked for a long time coming. A good thing. On the flipside, these songs are just too long and the instrumentals start to bleed together. It’s refreshing when Tempest starts not because it’s angry Tool again, but because it’s just different.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

Takeo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:08 am This thing is so dense that it’ll need to be unpacked for a long time coming. A good thing. On the flipside, these songs are just too long and the instrumentals start to bleed together. It’s refreshing when Tempest starts not because it’s angry Tool again, but because it’s just different.
I think that is my biggest criticism. Except for the Tempest, all the songs have basically the same structure. The Tempest is refreshing but also makes me want to hear one or two more tunes. I don't think having longer songs defeats there being too few. We are still limited to the number of singular ideas presented to breathe in and ruminate on.
Tool_User
Optomist

Post by Tool_User »

OK it's really hitting home this second listen. Thanks guys it's been a fucking great ride and thanks hellboy (and mods) for pretty much giving us free roam of the place and not being a meddling cunt.
KamikazeShaman37
Maynard Believer

Post by KamikazeShaman37 »

limeygringo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:23 am In The Court Of.., Larks Tongue in Aspic, Red, Discipline, Thrak, Power To Believe
That’s a great list, but be sure to check out their live album “USA” from the Bruford/Wetton era...

You can feel the similarities of “live electricity” between KC and Tool on that album. Polyrhythms, muscular bass lines, interwoven melodic lines and that shit just gets plain heavy (by 1974 standards) on the 2nd half of “Starless”

Also look into Trey Gunn who is a crafty gentleman in his own right and member of Fripp’s cadre.

Dig this solo album - “The Joy of Molybdenum”
stu
Maynard Believer

Post by stu »

the part on descending when the reflection noises come in really stimulates my prostate
KamikazeShaman37
Maynard Believer

Post by KamikazeShaman37 »

thekillingjoke wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:37 am The beginning/ending of 7empest sounds a whole lot like "Frame By Frame" off King Crimson's "Discipline", one of Danny's favorite albums.

If it's not a conscious tribute/citation, he must at least have rubber-stamped it during songwriting.

Frame by Frame has that fantastic intro due to the interwoven polyrhythms by the guitar parts. I read a great book about Fripp that talks a bit on how he got the idea for that style (which is his trademark sound I think).

Look into/read about Indonesian Gamelan music. You’ll Hear the same thing happening there and it’s where he was inspired to take that rhythmic threading to acoustic and electric guitar. You can hear Danny emulating gamelan music all over this new album (his chime/marimba work especially). Plenty of inspiration from KC as well, but he has made it his own sound just like Fripp did in the early 80’s.

Dig some of Fripps acoustic work with “The League of Crafty Guitarists” as well. I saw them live about 10 years ago and it’s incredible. He had about 10 acoustic guitarists onstage all using his NST (new standard tuning) which detunes the low e on a guitar to drop C, raises the high e string to G and changes the intervals between each string to fifths.

They play songs where there are very complex overlapping melodies that all sync up together like a shimmering light or what I would describe as “musical pointillism“. Sometimes each person only plays one note of a musical passage and they pass it it down the row of guitarists in alternating patterns/waves. It’s incredibly trippy to sit dead center of that and listen to it all ping around you. It’s like a musical organism and also is as if RF cloned himself 10 times over to bring this effect to life - on acoustic guitars.

End rant haha - but seriously check out some info and listen to Gamelan to indisputably hear where the KC and Tool venn diagram overlap:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamelan
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

limeygringo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:23 am In The Court Of.., Larks Tongue in Aspic, Red, Discipline, Thrak, Power To Believe
Islands (1971)
- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
Pimple
Green Herbsman

Post by Pimple »

I finally got to listen to the full album last night and it was overwhelming. I loved everything. Thought 7empest was incredibly dense and enjoyed every second of it. I was taken aback at how much Descending grabbed me, having already heard it a heap of time from the live shows, I wasn't expecting it to stand out the way it did. I can't wait to listen to it again (there needs to be more time in the day).
Be good to each other.
Spoonman
Geacon

Post by Spoonman »

"Pneuma" is my favourite so far, followed by "Invincible". I just wiiiiiiiished they would have kept "7empest" a bit shorter
and concentrate more on the stuff they're playing/singing at the beginning. That would have been fxxxxxx brilliant!
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

I really, really, really hope they just play the whole fucking album straight through when they tour. That would ruin me in the best way.
C_Dreyer
Maynard Believer

Post by C_Dreyer »

KamikazeShaman37 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:42 am
That’s a great list, but be sure to check out their live album “USA” from the Bruford/Wetton era...

You can feel the similarities of “live electricity” between KC and Tool on that album. Polyrhythms, muscular bass lines, interwoven melodic lines and that shit just gets plain heavy (by 1974 standards) on the 2nd half of “Starless”

Also look into Trey Gunn who is a crafty gentleman in his own right and member of Fripp’s cadre.

Dig this solo album - “The Joy of Molybdenum”
Trey rules!

Yep, was gonna suggest USA too, and the Great Deciever box set as a good gateway. As a youngin' I remember putting my dad's USA record on and being blown away, like, "Tool's ripping them off blind!" haha.

Fripp's reaction listening to 7empest for the first time... ?Raised eyebrow, nods approvingly... "nice work, Mr. Jones."

Will his and Adam's recordings together ever see the light of day?
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

joeypants wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:41 am I really, really, really hope they just play the whole fucking album straight through when they tour. That would ruin me in the best way.
First album I really wish they would do that. Then add some 25 minutes of older songs as the encore. Flood, Lateralus and Right in Two would fit neatly.
joeypants
Goderator

Post by joeypants »

ms2r wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:58 am
joeypants wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:41 am I really, really, really hope they just play the whole fucking album straight through when they tour. That would ruin me in the best way.
First album I really wish they would do that. Then add some 25 minutes of older songs as the encore. Flood, Lateralus and Right in Two would fit neatly.
I know. It would truly be mind blowing if they do this, and I have a sneaking suspicion they may go this route.

Also, gonna need an entire documentary on the making of Adam's solo in 7empest.
Boldizar
Optomist

Post by Boldizar »

I too hope they play the entire album. Fingers crossed.

Also the riff into gong of Descending is perfect on the album recording. Everything is lined up the way it is supposed to be and I love how they mixed the gong into a panned, produced static/shimmer. They made the sound work instead of just having it be smacked and having the big abrasive clang take over everything. Best of both worlds.
Capt. Shipwreck
Has been

Post by Capt. Shipwreck »

Can someone pm me a good link for this thing please and thank you.
Takeo
Has been

Post by Takeo »

I’m really feeling the build up in the second act of CV. Those guitars are like machetes cutting thru. And MJK’s restrained snarl creates a wonderful tension.
Hullabaloo92
Maynard Believer

Post by Hullabaloo92 »

There was this slow guitar play by Adam right before Vicarious (starts around 06:10), ToolArchive also used it for his New Album Update video series.
I expected it to be on Fear Inoculum, but I just couldn't find it.
Could this be one of the other three interludes on the digital Version?