Don’t you dare point that at
Don’t you dare
Don’t you dare
Don’t you dare point that at
MobileVortex
RIP

Re: Culling Voices

Post by MobileVortex »

I cant get over how wide the sound is in this song. It feels like you're at a festival, and it slows down, you can finally feel some wind in your hair. Then, Don't you dare point that at me.
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

With 7empest left to go this tune hit me right away. Fucking beautiful!
All well Whatever, Nevermind
Szakal77
Bronco's Fan

Post by Szakal77 »

The first 4 minutes remind me of Riverside or Mariusz Duda in his solo project. Not as much the music itself but the eerie, kind of Chopin-esque melancholic aura it has.
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger
Height: 7.5inches

Post by snazzlefrass »

Lullz you into a false sense of calm, then wakes you the fuck up with a hot iron of rock. Ouch.
SteveBobSteve
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

So with the limited seconds I have to myself I’ve been trying to play an acoustic version of Right In Two that I can sing over.
Not easy!
Maynard’s parts are difficult to layer over the guitar but practice make perfect.
Anyway Culling Voices is where I’m going to switch my attention! This song is beautiful and will sound excellent as an acoustic song.
I wasn’t expecting a song like this and could not be more happy with it.
Fucking TOOL!
Bill Hilly
Droner
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary - Dishonorably discharged from Tool Army

Post by Bill Hilly »

Unpopular opinion I'm sure, but Culling Voices is probably my favorite song after 3 listens. I love the entire record, but THIS song grows every time I listen to it. The way Maynard sings "psychopathy" is ironically beautiful. It's the one song on the album that doesn't sound anything like any of the other songs. The first half reminds me of Disposition and second half reminds me of Reflection, but it's definitely it's own unique thing.

I love the placement of it towards the end of the album. They sequenced this record perfectly.
"I'm kind of a big dill." - Schlong Burgundy
Kittaan
Peen Taster

Post by Kittaan »

It’s FI’s The Pot. Amirite?
Ki77aan :twisted:
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger

Post by snazzlefrass »

Bill Hilly wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:56 pm Unpopular opinion I'm sure, but Culling Voices is probably my favorite song after 3 listens. I love the entire record, but THIS song grows every time I listen to it. The way Maynard sings "psychopathy" is ironically beautiful. It's the one song on the album that doesn't sound anything like any of the other songs. The first half reminds me of Disposition and second half reminds me of Reflection, but it's definitely it's own unique thing.

I love the placement of it towards the end of the album. They sequenced this record perfectly.
Right there with ya bud. Pneuma is getting caught by this song on my fav list. That fuckin “don’t you dare point that at me” line has so much emotion in it. Fuck yeah pussies!
SteveBobSteve
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

@Kittaan - Don't you dare point that fatty finger at me?

@Snazzle - This song fucks. Pneuma is a very close second. It's a tight race with all the songs at this moment. That's a wonderful thing.
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

Is hard to put a favourite for myself seeing as I already knew invincible and descending so well prior to the release. Culling voices was the weak link for me on first few listens but by round 4 it clicked im Just finding the whoke albun front to back flawless. Justin's bass here is so badarse
Listen to All Them Witches
snazzlefrass
Shankdagger

Post by snazzlefrass »

Looking forward to seeing how hard he humps his bass this tour.
SteveBobSteve
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I've got to ask the question, does anyone relate to the lyrics?

I've always said quite proudly I'm paranoid by nature and sometimes this shit happens to me.
Canned audience laughter
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

The ones from Culling Voices? No, not really.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Not everyone comes home to a goddess to sing them sweet sweet lullaby's that removes all worldly doubts whilst they gently stroke your forehead Rogs.
Canned audience laughter
rshforgothispw
Fornicraster

Post by rshforgothispw »

This is the best track to be put before 7empest and after Descending. I like how personal it is, especially after the comments Maynard made about signing 10k live. Wonder if they will perform this live for the same reason.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

tys0n wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:42 am I've got to ask the question, does anyone relate to the lyrics?

I've always said quite proudly I'm paranoid by nature and sometimes this shit happens to me.
Yes, I do relate to the lyrics. Another reason why I love this song so much.
Bill Hilly
Droner

Post by Bill Hilly »

rshforgothispw wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:33 am This is the best track to be put before 7empest and after Descending. I like how personal it is, especially after the comments Maynard made about signing 10k live. Wonder if they will perform this live for the same reason.
I'd be shocked if this doesn't get played live. It's too good not to be played before 7empest.

Also, Culling Voices is not even close to being in the same ball park as Wings for Marie. Wings is extremely heavy to listen to, and I can't even imagine the vulnerability and sadness that Maynard felt performing that one live.
nxrm
Dan's Alias

Post by nxrm »

rshforgothispw wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:33 am This is the best track to be put before 7empest and after Descending.
I'd say it's well placed after Descending and before CCTrip. :D
So Long, and Thanks for All the Tool.
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

I love the first 2/3rds of this song. The melodic ballad stuff is great and mostly unique for Tool. I still find the ending pretty bland though. I think if they'd just made it a ballad, or perhaps a more Intension style ending it would have turned out as a better song
fractal-machine
Has been

Post by fractal-machine »

So glad we're talking about this song. This is the song that haunts me when I'm not listening to the album! It's such a personal song. Like it belongs to me. And I'm singing it! But of course, Danny disrupts that private session I have with Maynard with his DDDRUMS! :mrgreen:
A person or group which is used or controlled, usually unwittingly, by another person or group.
Shed523
Geacon

Post by Shed523 »

hellboy wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:09 pm I love the first 2/3rds of this song. The melodic ballad stuff is great and mostly unique for Tool. I still find the ending pretty bland though. I think if they'd just made it a ballad, or perhaps a more Intension style ending it would have turned out as a better song
Damn really? This could be one of my favorite parts on the Entire album. Soooo Heavy like the end of Right In Two or when Triad hits, just pure power! Don't You Dare Point That At BOOM! That slow eerie 7 minute build also helps the feel of the last 1/3 just blow the doors off! I'm going to need to see this live, add it to my collection!
Busty McCracken
Lord Festivus

Post by Busty McCracken »

That bass when it kicks in makes me wanna take my pants off so am glad it goes the way it does but can see what hboy is trying to say
Listen to All Them Witches
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Yeah I agree with HB, I've said earlier the ending lets it down massively, but what cha gunna do about it?
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Shed523 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:28 am
hellboy wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:09 pm I love the first 2/3rds of this song. The melodic ballad stuff is great and mostly unique for Tool. I still find the ending pretty bland though. I think if they'd just made it a ballad, or perhaps a more Intension style ending it would have turned out as a better song
Damn really? This could be one of my favorite parts on the Entire album. Soooo Heavy like the end of Right In Two or when Triad hits, just pure power! Don't You Dare Point That At BOOM! That slow eerie 7 minute build also helps the feel of the last 1/3 just blow the doors off! I'm going to need to see this live, add it to my collection!
I don't think that final riff is even half as good as the one in Right In Two tbh