Video game news

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
M0G
Lungsmen

Re: Video game news

Post by M0G »

Metro Exodus looks really good. Game is out in two weeks and with Anthem being a bit of an unknown right now I think I will spend a month digging around Exodus until Division 2 comes out. See where Anthem is in 4 or 5 months.

The most intelligent person on this forum
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Exodus does look pretty good - I need to replay the originals. Not 100% sure I'm behind the open world aspects of the new one though, but we'll see.

Another Epic Launcher exclusive so I see
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:22 pm Exodus does look pretty good - I need to replay the originals. Not 100% sure I'm behind the open world aspects of the new one though, but we'll see.

Another Epic Launcher exclusive so I see
The open world aspect actually is a big bonus for me but from what I have watched and read apparently it isn’t a traditional open world. Still a mostly linear single player story being told with well designed missions. There are just now additional large sandboxes to play in with side quests. It opens the game up and gives the player more to do and to explore but also serves to allow the devs to tell a larger story and to better flesh out the world. This looks like the Fallout game so many of us wanted with greatly enhanced gunplay. I am rooting for this game 4A is really passionate about their work and Deep Silver is not a bad Publisher. No micro transactions just a very reasonably priced season pass that you know will be worth the additional $25 bucks.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I think most people want Fallout to be an RPG rather than a shooter.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:56 am I think most people want Fallout to be an RPG rather than a shooter.
For the most part yes I agree but I am speaking more in terms of how Metro Exodus is designed with a story driven focus while still providing open world elements and RPG elements, particularly with the incredible amount of gun customization you can do. Also the approach 4A is taking to Survival with this seem to strike a perfect balance. There are many elements of Exodus that are exactly what Fallout fans want. I see comment after comment about Bethesda and Fallout 76 and comparing it to Metro in terms of what many players wanted. I also think you might be downplaying slightly the gunplay element. While gunplay was not the primary reason for playing Fallout, it was still core to the experience and Metro's gunplay is light years ahead of Fallout 76.

Speaking on the Epic point have you seen the outcry from fans about the late move of Exodus to Epic from Steam? A really large amount of pissed off people. From everything I have read from a number of different sources pc gamers, at large, don't seem to be a big fan of the Epic platform. Many see it as lacking features and being anti-consumer, which I have spoken to before with the lack of customer reviews. I sincerely hope Deep Silver making the call this late in the game to change platforms doesn't negatively impact sales as I think 4A has done something pretty special with Exodus at least based off of everything I have seen and read so far.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

The Epic platform is pretty inoffensive, but I'm not cool with the idea of exclusives on any platform - I think it's bad for the overall ecosystem.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
- Yes. The louder the better. Stops me from thinking.
- You don't like to think? What do you like?
- Never thought about it.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Rage 2 is looking pretty fucking solid. Thankfully Bethesda is only publishing. Development is iD and Avalanche. Was a bit concerned about Avalanche being involved with Just Cause 4 being largely shit, but it looks like this is mostly iD with Avalanche bringing in their open world expertise (which they do well) and vehicle mechanics.

ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

nice
- You like noisy music?
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Man it is pathetic how the pc gaming community is reacting to Deep Silver moving Metro to Epic. I cannot believe what a bunch of fucking crybabies they are. Review bombing old Metro titles on Steam because they are moving to Epic? Look I don't like Epic at all but there is a difference between expressing displeasure and out and out review bombing to try to negatively impact sales.

I get some PC gamers are tired of multiple launchers and I get that many of them prefer Steam, but this is ridiculous. I have read so many comments where pc gamers are just saying they are going to pirate the game rather than buy it off Epic and it blows my mind. This is not EA or Activision we are talking about. Deep Silver is not a huge publisher and 4A is by no means a large development studio. This isn't a greedy cash grab and 4A in particular deserves every cent they can get. They do things the right way. They care deeply about their games and it shows in the quality.

I don't game on PC but I can promise you if I did I wouldn't give a shit about what launcher I had to use if it was a game I really wanted to a play and a developer that I wanted to support. Oh well while the PC "master race" is throwing a tantrum this console "peasant" will be busy enjoying Metro Exodus.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

english vo

japanese vo

Day one.
- You like noisy music?
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Played the Division 2 beta and I am very impressed. The TTK changes are good. The game visually looks fantastic and the gunplay feels just as good as it did in Division 1. Movement is still a tad on the clunky side but you are always going to get a bit of that in a cover shooter. I think the skill changes are smart as well. I always felt skills played too large a part in the first game. I notice some people complaining about some bugs and fuck me I am sick of people fucking complaining about video games. This is a private fucking beta. The game isn't out for two months. Overall it plays really well for a beta and most of the bugs will be ironed out by launch. Shit if the game released as it is right now it would play better than a number of recent triple AAA releases.

Oh and on console Anthem, Metro Exodus, and Crackdown 3 (Campaign) are available for preload.

Gonna be a dope couple of months for gaming. Days Gone in April. Rage 2 in May. And who knows maybe Cyberpunk and Borderlands 3 in the fall.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

- You like noisy music?
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

hellboy wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:35 pm
M0G wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:14 pm ^ Wut? Far Cry: New Dawn, Crackdown 3, Metro Exodus, Anthem, The Division 2...Qtr 1 2019 looks amazing
A bunch of tired sequels and yet another online fps in an already flooded genre. Yawn.
Sounds like my lack of excitement in these games is justified.

In fairness though, most online games like Anthem are rarely great on release. Still not likely to play it any time soon though.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

It's even worse now, lol

RIP Bioware
- You like noisy music?
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Sorry this is all a bunch of horseshit. Greedy publishers and microtransactions are not killing gaming. Gamers are killing gaming. The gaming community is as toxic as it has ever been. All these negative click bait wannabee youtube reviewers spewing anti-EA hate have spread misinformation and stirred the pot before the game was released. Most of the reviews came out before the day 1 patch on the official launch, which fixed most of the issues. I have played Anthem quite a bit and it is a good game. It isn't perfect and it needs adjustments and more endgame content but the core gameplay loop and mechanics are fantastic. Movement/flying is great. Gunplay is solid and feels enjoyable. Abilities are fantastic.

People are acting like this is a Fallout 76 situation and it couldn't be further from the truth. It is about these fake ass Gamer Justice Warriors who seem to get off on trying to kill games before they even come out. Anthem is an ambitious game trying to please everyone and trying to deliver on a number of fronts and it needs to figure out the loot grind and endgame.

Anthem is a lot of fun and I imagine it will make it thru it's early growing pains and all the negative sheep will wander back 6 months down the line. In the meantime I will be busy actually enjoying myself playing this game.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

From what I've read it sounds like the early-game is pretty undercooked, which obviously influences reviewers and new players. What bodes well for Anthem is that it appears end-game sound pretty good, which leads me to believe in 6 months time this will be a solid experience.

That said, I just can't really get into the online FPS games - the genre just isn't for me.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

hellboy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:20 pm From what I've read it sounds like the early-game is pretty undercooked, which obviously influences reviewers and new players. What bodes well for Anthem is that it appears end-game sound pretty good, which leads me to believe in 6 months time this will be a solid experience.

That said, I just can't really get into the online FPS games - the genre just isn't for me.
I am telling you it isn’t nearly as bad as many are making it out to be. The core game play loop works. This was a bunch of click bait you tubers who get views off negative reviews pushing a negative narrative before the game came out stoking the anti-EA hate. So much misinformation is being passed off as news with this game and everything surrounding it. Then you have the Gamer Justice Warriors that wanted this to fail from the get go because they hate EA.

I am not saying the game is without issues. There are some questionable design choices and adjustments that must be made to the loot system. The endgame also needs to be expanded and I think waiting until May for The Cataclysm event is far too long. But people are comparing this to a Fallout 76 level fiasco and it just isn’t the case. BioWare has done some fantastic work here. Get into a Javelin and fly around that world and marvel at how far gaming has come.
ziggy23
Stink Wizard

Post by ziggy23 »

Honestly I don't care about Boiware at all, they were dead for me at least for the last couple of years.
- You like noisy music?
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I can't believe we are at a point where someone would defend a triple A publisher releasing an incomplete game.

I wonder what they would say if Tool released a new album without bass with it to be added at a later date.
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

tys0n wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:42 am I can't believe we are at a point where someone would defend a triple A publisher releasing an incomplete game.

I wonder what they would say if Tool released a new album without bass with it to be added at a later date.
Yeah, because making software and making albums are directly comparable :roll: