What are you PLAYING?

Discussions on gaming, gadgets and other technology related topics
M0G
Lungsmen

Re: What are you PLAYING?

Post by M0G »

Currently playing Metro Exodus and it is a really difficult game to review/score. It is visually stunning and the linear levels and the quasi open world sections are extremely well done. Movement is okay but can be jerky and clunky at times. The gunplay is actually not particularly solid which is the most important thing to get right in a first person shooter. The crafting is great. The gun variety is good. But the actual shooting mechanic itself doesn't feel great on console.

In terms of story it is very amateur and voice acting and dialogue are about the same. NPC interaction is sloppy and facial animations are off. Enemy AI isn't great but creature design is fantastic.

Bottom line I think this is a good game but it has some significant flaws. My first thought was that this game needed another 6 months of development to polish but I am not sure it would have helped. I think this is the very best 4A could do with the tools and money they have to work with. Some of it could be engine limitations as well.

Going to give Crackdown 3 campaign a try this week before Anthem comes out. So far the reviews haven't been good for either game but I played Anthem and while the VIP demo was a mess, the open demo wasn't bad and the core gameplay loop is enjoyable. I think Anthem is going to end up being similar to Destiny in that I think it is going to take awhile before BioWare is able to get it right and figure out exactly what the community wants as well as expanding on the endgame. A loot economy adjustment sounds like it is needed from what I have read as well but I will wait and see on that for the actual official launch on the 22nd. Some of the hate the game is getting now is from the EA early access and Bioware has stated a number of issues that are in the game will be fixed with the official launch. As for Crackdown my expectations are low so if actually does end up being shit oh well.
The most intelligent person on this forum
hellboy
Site Admin
Height: 182cm

Post by hellboy »

Crackdown 3 sounds entirely forgettable. I remember enjoying the first one, but never felt like it was good enough for a Crackdown 2, let alone 3. It seems like many of the features touted for 3 either didn't make it, or are pretty underwhelming, leaving a pretty hollow open world experience in it's wake.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

It's great imo, reminds me a lot of Just Cause 2.
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

tys0n wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:07 pm It's great imo, reminds me a lot of Just Cause 2.
Just Cause 2 was released in 2010, and I agree is a great game.

Is it reasonable to assume that Crackdown 3 - a game that has been delayed for 6 years should be more that what a 9 year old open world game offers?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

No
Don't mow your lawn
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

I'd rather that than the pointless shit of the Far Cry series.

Sometimes you gotta apply keep it simple stupid and less is more.
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

tys0n wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:37 pm I'd rather that than the pointless shit of the Far Cry series.

Sometimes you gotta apply keep it simple stupid and less is more.
Actually I think Just Cause & Far Cry are equally pointless. I've had fun in both franchises, and both of them as they age are effectively just variations on a theme.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Yeah I'm not going to continue to argue over a game you haven't actually played.

Begone troll.
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I've played both Far Cry and Just Cause
lachrymologist
RIP

Post by lachrymologist »

Is anyone playing red dead 2 online?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

I've been red and nude online... But not dead.
Don't mow your lawn
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Is it out on PC yet?
UndKeineZwEier
has a small dick

Post by UndKeineZwEier »

No, but there are rumors it might be coming out on Google Stadia
Don't mow your lawn
xZ1mM3r
Barnacle Bill

Post by xZ1mM3r »

Still big on playing Apex Legends whenever i have free time (which is increasingly less often).

Its a fun free to play game. What can i say. Its easy to pick up and play for 20 minutes.
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

I had a few goes at it, enjoyed it, but without some major innovation I'm a bit over the battle royale trend now.
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

Still Division 2 World Tier 5 comes out on Friday can't wait.

Days Gone on the PS4 later this month and Rage 2 next month.

After that I am good until September when Borderlands 3 comes out. I also expect Cyperpunk will be out sometime at the end of the year.

Helluva good year for gaming.

Then 2020 will see two new Xboxes and the ps5 and likely Destiny 3, Halo Infinite, and Last of Us 2. Yeah I am gonna be super good on games for quite awhile.
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Been playing Mass Effect Andromeda for over a month and now my saves are corrupted and I can't get back into my game

Not even 25% though the game, into the trash it goes, get fucked.

Onto Techomancer, another game added to game pass.
Canned audience laughter
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Was ME:A any good? I'm in between games at the moment, so not sure what to grab next
tys0n
Streeper

Post by tys0n »

Buggy fucking mess, people weren't kidding, what I played I enjoyed but geeeeeeeeeeez

If you can get it under $10 it would not be a waste of money

I'll probably wake up tomorrow and try to get it to work again
Canned audience laughter
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

I didn't think Mass Effect Andromeda was nearly as bad as people made it out to be. The facial animations were an absolute mess but the core gameplay and combat were good. The story wasn't as good as previous Mass Effects but again I think gamers just look for the negative in everything. It is by no means a bad game or a disaster. It had some bugs and probably needed another 3 months of polish before release. Some of the issues as well arose from the same thing Bioware has been dealing with since becoming part of EA and that is the damn Frostbite engine, which is extremely difficult to work with, particularly for RPG style games.

That is why if you notice EA has already announced the new Star Wars game will be running on the Unreal 4 engine. Even they have finally realized Frostbite is problematic. It might work okay for Battlefield (basic shooters) and sports games but overall it is not a great engine to develop on.
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

Hope you have time to give Days Gone a review on this thread Mog....

Think I will wait for my zombie fix with Dying Light 2 (even though hints are its 2020 now...)
Deftones!
hellboy
Site Admin

Post by hellboy »

Man the whole zombie genre is so played out...
earthrocker
Rhandy
Height: Short

Post by earthrocker »

I agree mate, but Dying Light was a cut above.
Deftones!
M0G
Lungsmen

Post by M0G »

earthrocker wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:11 am Hope you have time to give Days Gone a review on this thread Mog....

Think I will wait for my zombie fix with Dying Light 2 (even though hints are its 2020 now...)
Really looking forward to Days Gone although I am not sure if I am going to get to it right away. I am really invested in The Division 2 right now. I was planning on a taking a break to play Days Gone but there is a huge rebalancing patch coming soon in Division 2 that will basically make just about every build out there irrelevant. So I have a few weeks ahead of grinding and farming to create a new build before they drop the raid, although to be entirely honest I am on the fence as to what I am going to do. I quit playing Division 1 because of the constant nerfing and rebalancing got tired of seeing builds that took weeks to put together get busted. I don't blame Massive for trying to find balance but I am weighing grinding for two or three weeks against playing Days Gone not to mention Rage 2 comes out in 3 weeks.
ms2r
Uncle Fucker

Post by ms2r »

I actually wish I could experience Xenoblade Chronicles X for the first time again.

/doing rounds in X-Wings with Battlefront 2.